WIP: Fallen Hero 2: Retribution - updated 27 april 2019 (pre-adult version)

Oh shit that makes so much sense, didn’t even occur to me I was so preoccupied with everything else…

1 Like
Summary

kingpin of San Francisco. Or Argent

Also it looks like CF is back. Now the real fun begins.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about Shroud, youintroduce yourself to her, that’s why she knows your name

It makes sense that Argent would want the regeneration machine maybe. Someone on tumblr suggested that her powers are burning her body up (which is why she has to eat all the time) so maybe it’s to save her life/keep her from getting ‘stranger’

1 Like

No it’s the part when she keeps saying you’re very familiar and insists she’s meet you before. Then later she’ll get her assistant to attack you and try bring you to her

Ah yeah you’re right And the puppet’s body recognizes her too

2 Likes

And she’s not getting it! :angry: My mc needs it more, if he ever wants to have a life of his own (and Herald)! :persevere:

2 Likes

I can’t remember how to do spoiler tags, so I’ll try to be vague. Why do you think that the certain individual is the Antler villain in the update? I’ve gone through the auction a few times and I’ve kept failing to find stuff like that and whatever the huge surprise is that seems to be driving people insane on tumblr.

1 Like

Hey if you dismantle the farm and government you won’t need to hide those markings!

if you are a fighter and/or have Argent as a rival, you recognize Oryx movements as ‘familiar’ and with it kind of being out of place she’s there in the first place, Argent just assuming some other villains identity to sneak in seems likely

1 Like

I don’t think it works that way, at least not where having a social or love life is concerned. If that particular truth gets out you’d always be a despicable re-gene and very much not human. Whether or not we can or cannot take over the West Coast as our personal new state.

Thank you, I didn’t think those decisions would’ve impacted it. I’d guess if we visit the auction in our villain persona there’ll be more opportunities to confirm that theory since we’ll probably be fighting over the same object.

@idonotlikeusernames
I think maybe Ortega is the only one who would react extremely negatively to the Re-Gene revelation. They’ve known and trusted us the longest so it would seem more like a betrayal to them than the other Rangers.

Steel has always suspected Sidestep of something, it would just be confirmation of his suspicions. Argent doesn’t seem like she would care very much about it, but would probably blow up if she finds out we’re responsible for possessing her.

Finally, Herald would be blindsided and very confused but as long as Sidestep isn’t aggressive about it, I think he’d be somewhat understanding. TBH I don’t think he knows what Re-Genes are.

2 Likes

But we’d still be a freak next to the perfection that is Herald. Also I think even that kid knows what re-genes are, that they aren’t “human” and most of all that they are very bad news. We know they keep him (and the other rangers, excepting maybe Steel) in the dark about a lot of things, but this sort of general info as well as how to “work with” the special directive and their puppet re-genes is something even Herald is likely to have been taught when he was signed as a Ranger.

Those two would likely capture the mc and deliver us right back to the Farm if they knew…

Best way to “prove” the mc is not a re-gene, as well as the only viable way to have a true social or sex life (I mean the mc gets nauseous at seeing the body horror hiding under their clothes, and frankly I don’t blame them) is if we can get that regeneration to work without anybody knowing.
After any reveal of that particular secret not even the best regeneration is going to make the mc human in the eyes of most actual humans anymore.

When Oryx goes to fight Shroud, you’ll mention how her movements while fighting are strangely familiar if you’re a fighter or have Argent as your rival. Then further along, if you’re streetwise, you’ll make note of how strangely Oryx is fighting because instead of using kicks like she was known to do it specifically mentions she is slashing at people with her claws. All that plus saying that she’s mysteriously showed up out of nowhere after like 6 months of being missing & at one point during the fight you’ll remark about how you “Don’t think it’s a coincidence” that she went for the one thing you needed…

2 Likes

All signs are pointing to Argent disguising as Oryx, which I can understand given the regeneration machine, her “disguise” covering her entire body, the fact she used “claws”, etc. The only thing I can’t wrap my mind around is the fact that in the scene, Oryx, while carrying a massive container on her shoulder, has a dozen bodies just lying around her. Here’s the actual quote:
“The chaos is centered around the stage. Oryx is hefting a massive container over one shoulder, carrying it as if it was nothing. Around her lie a like of bodies, you have no idea if they are dead or alive.”
I don’t know… I guess I can’t imagine Argent being okay with killing people, given her previous reactions to it when fighting Villian!Sidestep. Thoughts?

Ok, I normally just pay attention here to see what comes up, but I’m confused.

I’ve replayed the auction several times and I always end up running away with Mortum no matter what I choose. How do you get the scene of Oryx fighting Shroud and/or carrying that thing?

Is there anyway to out yourself and announce that your sidestep?

Issues with killing civilians doesn’t necessarily mean issues with killing villains/henchmen. Or it could be just pure desperation and need overriding any moral qualms.

@idonotlikeusernames
Hehe, you’re probably right that he does know what they are in theory, but I don’t know that if he just sees the MC’s markings he’d be able to identify them. Reaction-wise, He just seems so… harmless I guess would be the closest word? Like it seems like it would take harming the Rangers, civilians, his family, or Sidestep, to make him furious or react very negatively.

That’s very possible, but I’m assuming that the MC at least has a friendly/respectful or romantic relationship with them if they are revealing themselves as a Re-Gene. If the Re-Gene revelation is accompanied with more explanation on HB and what happened to Sidestep afterwards, I highly doubt Steel would turn the MC over to the Farm without a second thought. He may, foolishly, want to go through the proper chain of command about it, but I think it would be a very big crisis of faith and a character defining moment. Does he value his friends and allies or his country more, sort of thing.

As for Argent, if we disclose the possession and are entirely unrepentant about it, then yeah I could see that happening. She’s already the loose cannon of the Rangers though, an impressive feat considering Ortega, so I doubt she would jump straight to following the rules and directives of a secret government organization without hesitation. She can already be attracted to a massacring villain, I don’t think being a Re-Gene is a relationship-ender in her book. She seems value a person’s actions and abilities more than their background.

2 Likes

These all seem to assume it is the mc doing the revealing to them in private and of their own volition, which mine would never even contemplate doing. Being exposed, particularly by the media would prompt far more negative reactions I’m sure.

Maybe, but then my mc does not want Herald to know he ever had them in the first place. He very much aims to construct a regeneration device before taking the relationship with Herald to the next level.

My mc does not want to find out. While it might prompt a great personal crisis for Steel for the mc never falling in the hands of the Farm again is an existential crisis. They’ve escaped twice now, I don’t think they’re going to let the mc get away a third time, not with the extent their powers seem to be growing.

But my mc is mostly unrepentant about it. I mean he needed to do that break-in and he couldn’t chance to possess Steel due to old history and Herald seemed unsuitable. He might be starting to feel just a tiny bit guilty about what he did to poor Herald, but Argent came away without significant damage.

1 Like

Very fair. As with all secrets, learning about one through the media or secondhand is very different than the person working up the courage to disclose their secret firsthand. Media vs private reveal seems to be the difference between a leap of faith in a relationship and pretty much the ultimate sign that the MC trusts the other person, and just screwing up badly enough to be outed.

That definitely seems to be the more happy outcome, but I still think the MC will be unhappy even if they erase their scars because their relationships will still be built upon lies and deceit even if they aren’t anymore.

In complete agreement about Steel not being easy to trust when it comes to possible recapture by the Farm. Out of all the Rangers, I would trust Steel the least when it comes to a reveal. The main reason I think he may support the MC is because he was already very suspicious after HB. If an MC plays their cards right, I think that they could shatter Steel’s faith in the government.

We go down different paths when it comes to Argent. My MC also came to the conclusion that he had no other recourse but to possess her to steal the nanovores and didn’t feel too bad about it initially. After getting to know her a little better through Rebirth and some therapy though, he starts to feel guilty about it. More than anyone, Sidestep should know the lasting trauma that can happen when a telepath decides to screw with you and my empathetic MC is realizing he essentially did to Argent what HB did to himself.

1 Like

…Oh.
So that’s what people are talking about. Hi.

Also, any one getting the feel that HG/someone totally set the machine up as some kind of bait? Considering the type of people that would be most desperate to have it, and the bunch of people who actually came to get it.

At long last, we start getting clues about the puppet’s past!

Also getting a feel that the puppet’s personality has significantly diverged from both MC and villain. I wonder how long before we lose control.

Does Steel have faith in the government right now? After the latest few interactions it feels like he already knows his employer is shady af, he’s more loyal to his duty and the work the Rangers do than to the government itself. MC always had the impression that Steel was a government loyalist, but do we have any evidence to support that?

some minor bugs

Unfinished sentences:

2 Likes