WIP: Fallen Hero 2: Retribution - updated 27 april 2019 (pre-adult version)

What is your favorite scar-motivation combo?

Do you know how to increase the relationship stat with mortum in book 2? I cant get it higher than 47

1 Like

Aside from making sure to interact with Dr Mortum intentionally, there aren’t that many opportunities to raise the relationship%, though your score with Mortum from Rebirth should be better than 40% if you were at the very least friendly with them

“Yoink” helps with that, but only if you do the right thing after. :wink:

The main way I get it done is getting the good doctor’s gun for them personally, while also having a puppet/Shroud encounter that I have Mortum investigate. When learning what Dr Mortum learns about Ace (after very specifically planning to hand the gun over as yourself, and not the puppet), you may lose a point or two, but tell the truth (the tat truth!) & agree to meet. The next steps are more specific, but agreeing reluctantly to let them examine your tats, and then saying that “I didn’t (know I had a choice)” earns the most points in terms of respect. You see, while the good doctor has yet to say anything about themselves to this extent, they know a thing or two about respect, and boundaries not being respected. You’ve gotta trust Dr Mortum first, essentially–which is a character break for many 'steps, and honestly doesn’t help the more paranoid ones to relax, but
 It is the right thing to do if you want Mortum to consider being a little more open later on.

6 Likes

I did what you recomended and I raised the friendship stat up to 64.
Despite the former villain life and the"rub people out" routine I am very surprised at the sheer unexpected depth of doctor Mortum towards a Re-gene

2 Likes

What is the Catastrofiend???
It seems to scare mc a lot

This is understating the true horror of it, but
 The Catastrofiend, so named for it’s incredibly dangerous nature, is essentially a boost that kept surviving taking the boost drug. Keep in mind that there’s slightly better than a 95% fatality rate when just boosting once
 Now add in what must certainly be a sociopathic mindset about the value of life, and you start to get a very ugly picture without the terribly mutated (and mutilated by many mods) body. My own assessments say this–it is not a stupid creature. It is powerful enough to be almost on par with a natural disaster level threat. It survived the effects of quantum decay
and still recognized Sidestep’s mental imprint if released in the underground area with Lady Argent.

If you don’t consider these things disturbing at the least, then you’re either more ready to deal than your mc, or just a tad on the naive side. I would not for anything underestimate that
thing. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Oh god damn,no wonder sidestep is scared shitless of that thing
I tried fighting it once with Argent,once with mortum.I got a bleeding shoulder for my trouble

2 Likes

Direct questions can be asked more directly through the DMs, but I can still answer here if you prefer. :sweat_smile:

Anyway
 I don’t know the precise reasons behind why Malin created the scar mechanic. Sounds like a good ask you could pose over on Rebirth’s tumblr page, actually. :wink:
In a sense, one use for it is that any player can replay Rebirth to create a character they can consider a more ‘canon’ mc for their own interpretations of the story. Maybe even one that just sounds interesting to role-play as, though all need to be treated with a level of solemn maturity for what they really represent. The scars, such as they are, add flavor text to give a consistent tone to the winding story of the Fallen Hero.

In the case of the Revenge scar, but nothing will stop this motivated bastard from ending the farm, and all its associates no matter how inconsequentially “innocent” they might be. This is reflected in more angry, spite-filled lines giving voice to the mc’s background thoughts at key moments in their private internal narrative.

On the opposite end of the scale, those with the Outsider or “One More Day” scar might prefer to be more anonymous, even choosing to disappear quietly at some point once their goal of flipping the farm the bird first has been met.

1 Like

1.The “One more day” scar is called suicidal
2. What about the other scars?
3. Thank you for your suggestion,I will consider it

For your 1, it’s pretty easy to see that you couldn’t understand my aversion to casually throwing that particular word around. That said, I’ll let it slide. :slightly_frowning_face:

As for 2
 Although I can still give some minor specifics, the remaining three scars are pretty self-explanatory. With the exception of maybe ‘Hunger’. For that one, related flavor text reveals it is like having greed for all things, and is quite possibly the scar with the biggest ego to burn.

The last two, Friendless and Puppetmaster are fairly straightforward, with an almost “equal opposites” pull to their characteristics.

The Friendless scar operates under the assumption that having any real, or substantial connections with others isn’t possible because they believe they aren’t real.

Puppetmaster is the scar of the twisted manipulator. Opposed to Friendless, mc’s with this scar are actually pretty close to being as fake as they believe, thinking the only way to get what they want is through forced (or subtle) control of others.

5 Likes

I understand that using that particular word is a touchy subject, but my curiosity and honest nature got the better of me there

1 Like

me: does not care much about Marshal Steel

Malin Rydén: adds all those cute scenes with Spoon

me:

On a spoilery note though, how would his relationship with female MC play out, considering the fact that he’s gay? Just friendship, then? Do you think romancing Chen should be gender-locked?

7 Likes

As of right now he’s only for male MCs, don’t know if Malin is still thinking of allowing female MCs as well.

4 Likes

This will always be a touchy subject for people, but I definitely think that Chen, being a canonly gay man, should remain genderlocked to male Sidesteps, and it’s my understanding that Malin has no intention to make him available to female Sidesteps or Julia.

10 Likes

I do know if you try to romance him as a female, you do get one of the funniest lines in the game.

At least I thought it was funny, while trying to follow him into the locker room.

You know I’m gay right?

9 Likes

Yeah, that cracked me up a bit. Also, their last interaction in the demo ended with MC being like “well, at least his dog likes me”. lmaoo

11 Likes

Totally see your point. We’ll see how it turns out in the full game, I guess.

2 Likes

Yeah

Spoon is the most important character

6 Likes

Fallen Hero seems to be a very intense, high-stakes game where our faves can get badly hurt because of our actions. However, if anything happens to Spoon, I’ll riot. I can’t even happily beat Chen up anymore because I know Spoon will be sitting at doggy daycare all confused, upset and worried.

11 Likes

If anything happens to Spoon, my main Sidestep will kill everyone in the room and then himself. Which is honestly sort of the path he’s already on, but
 I hadn’t even considered what happens to Spoon if Chen dies, and as soon as my Step has that realization himself, he’s going to be like “oh
oh no.”

8 Likes