WIP: Fallen Hero 2: Retribution - updated 27 april 2019 (pre-adult version)

That’s a bit of hyperbole of course, but I really do get the impression, particularly from the latest scene, that whoever our puppet used to be, they weren’t known for being a nice guy.

6 Likes

I kinda opened this accound just to write this, but I’ve been a big fan ever since the first part came out and I’ve been following the second(this) part ever since this thread opened. Good luck writing rest of the story, Malin!(At least that’s your first name, I think?)

3 Likes

have you thought about adding a cheat menu? i’ve seen lots of people doing that

4 Likes

Cheat will ruin the fun… and personally I have not seen any game with cheat function.

2 Likes

I personally can’t even fathom how a cheat menu would work?

12 Likes

Probably a seperate panel to increase stats or whatnot. Maybe even some way to skip or cheat in an important fight?

Oh also, honestly, “It kills the fun” is not really a valid point, considering “fun” is relative. If it kills the fun for you, just don’t use the cheats.

6 Likes

What did you think of my earlier suggestion?

Is there a slight chance that the puppet would take over our consciousness and we would become
a secondary consciousness inside the
puppet’s mind? If so that would be a rather fascinating bad end for our Fallen Hero character in Book 2!

I don’t think a cheat option would do a whole lot for this game. It’s mostly story driven and doesn’t rely on the stats a lot like the Lost Heir series (a cheat menu for this would be amazing btw) or ye olde Wizard’s Choice or other storygames like that.

An easy mode option where we can get all the upgrades for the armor installed and enjoy our power fantasy would be really nice though. @malinryden :wink::wink:

11 Likes

I feel like having all armor upgrades would be too overpowered for me :sweat_smile: there’d be no challenge and having weaknesses is important

To each their own, I agree with @Lord_Zant that this is too far on the story side of things for a cheat menu to be appealing (vs more gamelike CGs).

Like… so much good stuff is included in scenes after Sidestep screws up or fails. Removing the possibility of the MC ever failing means you won’t get the flashback to being picked up in an ambulance post heartbreak, you miss the scene of the puppet doing back alley doctoring on the MC, you won’t be on the farm’s radar, in the book 2 demo it means not getting the dream sequence with Anathema if Argent beats you on the bridge. Or the drama if you screw up in the auction. You honestly don’t get punished by Malin for failing ingame, it just makes the story different.

But idk. Maybe a DLC for people who really want it? It’s up to Malin if she thinks it’s worth the coding time to let players set all their stats to what they want regardless of story limitations.

21 Likes

Onscreen, we’ve only been in that armor twice with a third appearance coming soon. Having all the upgrades wouldn’t change a whole lot as most of the story we spend in our fragile squishy body/ies.

1 Like

The problem here I think, is that the stats are very much there to let me tailor the experience to the mc in question? It’s not astat heavy game. It’s like those cheating mods they add at the pirate sites, I am just sad when people play with them because all they do is take away your power to create your own story.

It’s not better to be daring than cautious. Or to have high or low relationship with people. Or to be infamous or have a lot of empathy. It’s just your character.

I’m writing interactive fiction, not a gamebook.

36 Likes

I guess you will have to wait and see what happens!

4 Likes

Fair enough, I suppose. I mean, it’s just to give the option to cheat, but then again, that option takes time and coding and not really useful in this since stats don’t matter THAT much and don’t punish you, so, I think it’s alright if a cheah panel or whatever doesn’t exist on those grounds.

I will be totally honest with people…if you are that desperate for wanting to get boost at stats or full upgrade or something, you should consider learning about coding and change your game however you want, but if you are not interested in learning about coding, then go to some pirate site and I am sure you will have what you want.
And yes, if you think I am being rude then :rofl:

5 Likes

There’s a guide on this very forum on how to edit stats…takes about 10 minutes to learn.

2 Likes

geez i just started a big argument

This is what I miss in almost all official Choice of Games titles, unfortunately. Hosted Games are so much better at this. I know CoG do this to help make it easier on the authors (opposing pair of stats instead of flags, for instance) but it results in that I cannot play I I want, but have to play my stats to not fail.

So, power to you and other authors who take this approach that you do. :heart:

24 Likes

indeed Fallen Hero was a game I did not need to mod any of the stats for as there were no de-facto punishments for roleplaying my SideStep the way I wanted too. Which makes this series along with Waywalkers and Infinity one of the few games that I never modded, not even for a tiny stat tweak.

You do need a local copy of the game for it though, which is certainly one reason why I really don’t like playing the server-side only website versions.

3 Likes