(WIP) Broken Fable [182k Public, 215k Patreon. Updated 4/16/24]

He’d probably not be as strong cause so far not everything is like the myths.

12 Likes

That’s fair but if that background doesn’t get the reference to pissing off Buddha to the point we get stuck in a mountain for 500 years, I’d be disappointed. That was honestly my favorite part

9 Likes

His weakness will probably be the crown and the headache mantra from Tripitaka.

12 Likes

Yoru? Yamamoto?! Japanese!?! As a lover of Bleach and Chainsaw Man, I see this as an absolute win! Waifu confirmed.

9 Likes

Sun Wukong will definitly be getting a mountain dropped on him by budda in his backstory, do not fear!

24 Likes

So Buddha and Sumairah Khan will be the only augmented of equal or greater strength than the MC?

Also, Janus seems too OP. They are similar to Contessa (from WORM) where she basically wins against anything/anyone her precog can see.

3 Likes

She’s equal to us.

8 Likes

saw the greek background couldn’t resist

6 Likes

My previous response has been edited to make it clearer.

Though, if Buddha’s stronger, then that means he/she’s the strongest augment. Unless the Zeus origin has is much more powerful than the other playthroughs.

All in all, although the prose leaves much to be desired, the game itself is inspired. What a breath of fresh air. Can’t, but will, wait to read more.

3 Likes

I mean Arthur can kill Ares whos the same age as Zeus and who even he struggled against. They are probably around the same strength regardless of age, just excell at one thing than the other. Arthur is clearly the one more skilled at raw fighting and strength and Zeus is more with his destructive lightning magic I think.

5 Likes

Regarding the most powerful characters, there is going to be a flashback in the next part of the chapter were you get to compare and learn about some of the wickedly powerful augmented the MC has encountered through their life, and it will be slightly different for each fable.

And who’s saying its impossible for some of them to still be around, just like you :thinking:

However, I will say that Buddha is absolutely a contender for the strongest of all time. There are some crazy feats of strength in the Sun Wukong backstory.

The way I am going to balance the fables story-wise is that the powers will act as a sort of “alternative” to stat checks. It will look like this

Enemy A attacks, you do what
“Int check blah blah”
“Power Check blah blah blah”
“Technique Check blah blah”
“(God of Lightning) Special fight altering move”

The normal stat checks will still be customized to each fable but not to the extent of the special options will.

I hope I explained in a way that made sense :sweat_smile:

23 Likes

Nice, another worm fan! Can’t say I’ve seen too many outside sb and tumblr lol.

And let me tell you, even though the Dawn Praetor may be seen as incompetent, she has completely won my heart. i’ve already decided to recruit her, and I think I’m gonna pair her up with my Janus mc, I think the dynamic between an “extremely powerful precog who has been through some really traumatic stuff” and a “naive and innocent but has the potential to be one of the very best” is going to be interesting to explore.

6 Likes

Although, didn’t the MC state that they have never met anyone more powerful than them.

Yeah, still can’t get over that ending lmao. I hope the Janus fable can help me roleplay Contessa a bit.

7 Likes

To be fair everyone can kill that guy but Arthur didn’t mess around like the others. And Zeus just attacked straight away considering what he did.

8 Likes

I know that’s why Im saying everyone around the same strength regardless of age. Just some of them are better at one thing or another. Killing Ares is the perfect example of it.

9 Likes

I just realized how young ROs are compared to MC :no_mouth:
Yoru is such infant XD

10 Likes

Imagine her reaction when she finds out mc true identity :joy:

20 Likes

The fun thing with Buddha is that it’s hard to even distinguish what’s a feat of strength, what’s a feat of wisdom and what’s a feat of magic trickery when he’s involved. Dude’s favorite way to explain something (like with the Six Eared) is to go from omniscience and then narrowing the scope until it reach the answer.

It was always funny to me that it wasn’t even the Mountain that kept Wukong in place in the story, it was the seal made by Buddha, once that’s gone he basically shrug off the Mountain.

MC said that in reference to modern augments so it doesn’t really apply to old ones like Kronos (who was stronger until Ambrosia) and Buddha.

It kinda contradict the boss of the Praetors being your equal but MC has been disconnected from humanity even more for at least 30 years so that’s more than enough time to get a power up.

Now that I think about it, it’s kinda funny that Zeus seems to be the ‘naturally weakest’ since he needed Ambrosia to be on everyone’s level (but he also had no weakness I guess), though you could say Arthur is ‘naturally’ just a human who’s very good with a sword. Out of the available ones, Ishtar seems to be the only one who’s just at that level naturally.

8 Likes

It seems I glossed over the ‘modern’ part.

I disagree, Arthur’s the ‘naturally weakest’. Zeus fought Ares and won, twice. Arthur fights Ares barely wins.

Though, even with accounting the factors of experience (i.e. Young Ares vs. Modern Ares) and ambrosia, I can still confidently give the advantage to Zeus.

As for unnatural, Janus seems (at least right now) to be the strongest augment alive. They also seem to have many similarities with Contessa’s power in WORM, though perhaps a bit watered down.

Janus:

Meanwhile, Contessa:

How another precog sees Contessa:

Though given that Janus doesn’t seem to be a complete precog, Khan would still have a chance.

4 Likes

Barely is stretching it tbh, Arthur cuts his arm off then stabs and kills him, and Ares couldn’t do any significant damage to him. The only thing that kinda hurt Arthur was a push Ares managed to get in before he died that’s sends them flying, but Arthur just gets up walks it off like it meant nothing. Both Arthur and Ishtar have a 2 hour fight with Ares and Janus can see everything before it happens so it was easier and Zeus mainly just spams lightning and he was already kinda strong.

13 Likes