WIP Battlemage Correspondence Course Closed for Beta

Interesting anyway

Thanks everyone for playing and giving your feedback so far. I’ve just uploaded the draft for Chapter 4, hope you like it!

5 Likes

Can you actually win the joust? or do you always lose?

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying this wip!
Color me surprised when you revealed the queen’s name. I loved it! Usually in this type of scenarios you get European characters, so this change I really loved!

However I got stuck when an error popped up.
Wasn’t able to screenshot the error, but this was my choice:

I think there was a problem with “ojoust”?

Also, when our knight asks how the event went for us… we don’t answer at all and it just moves on. I feel like there is something missing there.

But that aside, really good and will happily wait for the next update :slight_smile:
Hopefully you’ll think of adding saves. It would allow us to play other routes faster and find more errors.

1 Like

There are several ways to win the joust.

Thanks, Bokeh. I made oJoust a permanent variable since temp variables seem to cause problems, and when I tested it I was able to select the technique option. I hope that solved the problem. I’m not sure what you mean by the other thing, you definitely answer when he asks how your events went. I’ll look into the saves thing. Thanks again for the feedback!

2 Likes

I am loving this one but one suggestion I would add is could you change the typing your pronouns option to giving you a choice for he,him , she,her , they/them and a custom one.When replaying it gets a little discomforting to type.

2 Likes

New upload! Chapter 4 has been substantially edited, and chapters 5 and 6 have been uploaded. Changes have also been made in various places according to feedback in this thread, so thank you for all your help! Chapter 6 is a first draft, so any suggestions would be great, especially since this is the middle of the game and should be a bit of a climax.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy!

9 Likes

Still a fun WIP. I felt there was a lot that increased corruption, but nothing that reversed it.

Thank you for reminding me. Yes, I have been trying to think of some interesting choices to reverse corruption. I think I may have to go back through the chapters and add it in.

Hey mate loving the story so far, just asking if it would be possible to add a save system for the demo?

As far as I know, that’s not really done with CoG titles. The save system is a third party thing, and it’s not part of the game design. The fact that you need to replay the game makes choices more impactful and rewarding, so it’s a design choice. Sorry!

1 Like

Hello! I really enjoyed the WIP ~ will be looking forward to more of this <3

I have a teeny tiny suggestion tho, during the weapons choices, we were given the whip, sabre, and the sickle as options, I chose the sickle and was given a cool passage about striking fears into our enemies and necromancy. I just personally think that a scythe fits the imagery better, like Grim reaper’s. Hehehe

1 Like

To me, sickle and scythe are almost interchangeable, they’re both used for reaping crops but it looks like the scythe more often has a long two-handed handle. Sickle was used by the gods that inspired the Grim Reaper, who apparently more often uses a scythe. Anyway, haha, I might be overthinking it. When it comes down to it, scythe might be better just because it sounds cooler. Thanks!

In the tournament I chose to fight with a sword and decided to end the fight with an overhead strike, my physical power was at 40 yet I still failed to win? Not sure anyone could take a full on overhead strike with a sword and then attack you right away without having to recover.

Right now, your physical power needs to be 45 to finish the fight in one blow, and it’s very possible to have that strength if you concentrate your stats there. This choice gives 30 points all at once, so it says, “It’s a long shot, but I could end this right now with a strong enough overhead blow.” That also instantly qualifies you for the joust. Let me know if this still seems unbalanced in light of that info. And, thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

I think you are confusing this.
Wip’s can have saves by simply adding some code.
The save you are thinking about is another type of save that is only offered to published works that have a sequel coming up (I think it must be half written). This one works by saving all your choices at the very end.

The saves this person is talking are the ones that allow us to play multiple options easier, without having to restart the demo from the start every time.

I second the request :slight_smile: it’d be nicer if we didnt have to replay the story from the start each time we want to see the different paths or when there is a new update.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, but again, the save system is 3rd party code and not part of the intended design. It’s important that I get an accurate image of the experience for testing. If the game is boring to replay, that’s important information for me so I can improve it.

Hello the task was to change someones life for the better or worse. I used lightning on the rival knight and helped sir kelton win. So shouldnt the task be complete?

1 Like

Yes, it looks like I forgot to set the variable for that part. It will be fixed in the next upload. Thank you!

1 Like