I’m pleased to present Aura Clash, a high-flying fantasy Martial Arts world where you unfortunately play as a powerless peasant arrogantly rising above their station.
The 205k word game (not counting code) can be found here: https://dashingdon.com/play/cultivator-anon/aura-clash/mygame/
CURRENT BUG: If you had a certain encounter with a priestess, do not choose “Meditate on the justification of force”, it’s currently the only gamebreaking bug and I will fix it in the next update after letting people play.
CURRENT BUG: Choosing to Counterblast Leona’s big attack will break the game. Fixed for next update.
About Aura Clash
Aura Clash is based in an eastern fantasy world of powerful martial artists who gain their superhuman abilities by absorbing natural chi from the world and enhancing it through battle and training.
The setting’s main culture involves ancient Cathayan (china-rome) past influence on the current Zenshin people (japan-HRE).
You play the role of a child growing up in a medium-sized village hidden away in the mountains, powerless and penniless with your otherwise happy family. Yet such a safe life is not for everyone. Your quest to join the ranks of the Martial Artists in your growing years will lead to unforeseeable events:
- Build up your own Clan from scratch, a slow task easier said than done.
- Learn one of the five mystical Martial Arts and master one of the eight Elements.
- Uncover darker plots hiding under the surface of the local Martial World.
- Compete in the Heavenly Ascension Trials against thousands of other Martial Artists for the right to join the Archonate, the most prestigious Sect in the empire.
- Form alliances or rivalries with different competitors and factions to increase (or ruin) your chance for victory.
Currently Aura Clash is at 240k words, 205k of which are without code. The end-goal is 500k words with a largely complete story. Sequels will be available as writing this has been very enjoyable, but I want the first game to finalize an important arc so the game is fulfilling in case I get hit by a bus.
Note: Romance options are heterosexual.
Kosuke [F/M, RO]: Your childhood friend who’s followed your journey from the start and occasionally gets you into trouble.
Jin and Rin [M and F]: Your younger siblings and general annoyance in your life.
Angelo [M, RO]: A wine-loving pilgrim and travelling mentor seeking those in need according to the teachings of the Devanic Temple.
Tian Fang [F, RO]: The star pupil of an ally Sect, Tian Fang keeps a cheery demeanor clashing against her unusually deep wolf yokai instincts.
Crusher Jack [M]: Your childhood bully and rival. Arrogant, condescending, insecure, tyrannical if given the chance. A truly unrepentant asshole and prodigy.
Lady Desdemona [F, RO]: A directionally-challenged swamp witch working to keep her weak Sect in tact and make money doing it.
Dai Guiren [M, RO]: A charming but ruthless debt collector and gang leader with a powerful benefactor and the worst underlings on the planet.
Crusher Mao [M]: The master of your village’s Martial Arts Sect. A powerful and ruthless leader worshipped like a celebrity.
Leona [F, RO]: A manic and violent woman seeking the next thrill whether it be a bloody duel or a fishing contest.
Various Others: As the writing grows temporary romances have been sprinkled into the plot, one of which is already in place. These will be brought back in later chapters/potential sequels depending on popular demand. (I have already been threatened to bring one back, twice).
I set a personal deadline of 9 months, which came out to exactly Halloween since I started on March 1st. Below is a list of half-written/planned content for the current WIP that didn’t make it and is scheduled to be added back in:
- Flavor text for increasing Skills during the 12 months of training in Chapter 3.
- An entirely different quest option to learn Shugendō.
- Option to challenge Bo to a duel at the sparring ring instead of racing him.
- Journal page (lexicon, known NPCs, world information)
- More books at the library (which will add to journal world information)
- Official Technique List with four Technique Slots, one per Core. “Equipped” attack-Techniques will offer options in combat that will solve problems more easily at the cost of Chi. (These are currently learned at the end of the WIP but not yet utilized)
- Punching Guiren in the face as his ally.
- An option to fight The Boar™
- Background + Style synchronization for players who skip Chapter 1.
- More racial/trait reactivity.