[WIP] Arcadie: Second-Born - Submitted

Can I suggest something ? Can you like … make another stat called “ tactical” which partly link with swordsmanship :thinking: because I don’t think you can use something like politic to create military tactics in real battles ( okay, okay, I admit, I want to both impress W with my swordsmanship and my sister with my tactical skill and it’s very difficult to choose between them )

2 Likes

10000% agree that MC really got the short end of the stick with her family.

What’s even wilder to me is she said “If you’re not even fit for battle” like MC didn’t almost beat her in a sword fight and doesn’t have a high-ish swordsmanship stat. Like ma’am… MC is FIT for battle, she just doesn’t WANT to battle because she’s a pacifist! Lol.

13 Likes

Personally, Ariana was one of my favorite characters so far, and my MC was like 100% dedicated to her in my playthrough. It seems entirely reasonable to me that Ariana’d say something like that. I mean, she was raised as a warrior in a very militaristic society, and her main gift is being the best fighter, so her thinking that her sister doesn’t want to fight because she’s a pacifist wouldn’t make any sense- especially when you’re fighting against the guy who killed your parents a few weeks ago and seems so fanatical in his pacifism that he’d ally with a hostile country just to dethrone your family. Really, it makes me like her more that she’d say something like that, because she obviously thinks the MC is fit for battle- otherwise, she wouldn’t let her little sister (and heir, probably) into battle in the first place. I think she’s just not good at communicating her confidence in the MC.

Hope I communicated that right.

25 Likes

Ya, I tend to agree and my MC is committed and will probably not really start questioning loyalties until Ariana is actively pursuing genocide. As long as she is at least listening to what he says will probably be enough for him.

6 Likes

I really like this game. Though I’ll admit that to me, what’s most interesting about it is that it’s slowly making me dislike the MC’s family and sympathize with the antagonist. Ariana might be a great warrior, but I’m not sure she’ll do well as a ruler, what with her dreams of blood, glory and vengeance. …idk, it’s almost enough to make me wish I could go over to the other camp :thinking:

Will eagerly wait for future updates :smiley:

14 Likes

My english is not that good, so i humbly request my dear author to add something like a parenthesis at the end of every choices. Sometimes i get really confuse on what of my choices affects what.

And i really like your stat page, giving their appearance, that way i can easily imagine them. And also i really like the depth of the characters. Keep doing a fantastic job :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah, I love Ariana too. And I think it’s funny that everyone just ignore the fact that she just watched her parents (that apparently she was really close to) being killed right in front of her and maybe she’s traumatized and still mourning…
Anyway, this is one of my favorite WIPs right now, I love everthing about it!

17 Likes

Oh yeah, definitely! And on top of the trauma and the mourning, she also has to deal with taking over from her parents leading a country in a civil war to dethrone (and, as far as she knows, kill) her and her last remaining family.

17 Likes

Guess the main reason I feel the way I do is that I don’t feel much for the MC’s parents; it kinda feels like, if they were this militaristic, they had it coming eventually. You reap what you sow and all that. And while Ariana’s anger and grief are understandable, the fact that she gives into them to the degree she does imo shows that she’s unfit to be a ruler. Also, are lives of two people worth razing an entire country to the ground? This goes past ‘tyrant’ and straight into ‘genocidal maniac’ territory. Right now, she scares me more than anyone else in the story does :sweat_smile: (which is good, characters invoking strong emotions is good writing)

23 Likes

She’s not razing the entire country to the ground, the moment Stan decided to commit regicide he started the war. Even if Ariana or the MC hadn’t survived Will and Cyrus and those loyal to the King and Queen would have fought back against him. She’s not a tyrant and isn’t ruling by fear, the only slightly questionable thing she did is put a soldier, who had a one on one session with Stan and began talking about the enemy like he just met his soulmate, in lockdown. And “genocidal maniac” is just completely false, she’s not trying to wipe out an entire group of people she’s just preparing for the war Stan started with his obsession with pacifism and getting revenge against him.

13 Likes

Also, the only person I think comes even close to
being a genocidal maniac is Will- the way they talk about the southern tribes is way more troubling than anything Ariana’s said or done so far.

9 Likes

Fair enough, though that’s not the impression I’ve got from her talking how the only thing left from Kalltland will be a memory (paraphrased, I don’t remember the exact phrasing). But I’ll admit that it’s still early in the story to judge her completely.

I guess that’s where we disagree. I don’t see his desire to get rid of a militaristic/war-mongering ruler as a bad thing. That’s fine, though, I get where you guys are coming from.

5 Likes

She’s says that after a group of nobles say the war is pointless and gets pissed even though they killed the King and Queen and almost killed her and the MC. I’m pretty sure she not talking about genocide, she’s not going to go around killing kids and innocent civilians. And yes his obsession with pacifism caused a civil war and didn’t even end the war he tried to stop.

6 Likes

Yes to both.

Both :slight_smile:

The Politics skill is supposed to be Politics + tactical; but I might revamp it down the line, as I want both swordsmanship and politics to be equally useful but in different ways.

Do you have an example of a choice where you were confused at what was being affected?

6 Likes

Yes.

This is one of the interactions with C

I…suppose i am ( would this be stoic or serious?)
Because you re an asset to the kingdom( kinda confused on which stats will this increase or not)

Oh and also i notice that if i chose a choice that doesn’t go well with my character the bar didn’t decrease that much! That’s nice actually, since i sometimes get frustrated pressing the wrong choices because of my lack of understanding in english :sweat_smile:

Perhaps you can use the traditional way, “charisma” and “intelligence” ?

Oh dont force me to make that decision lol. I love Charisma way too much

1 Like

I personally am in favor of keeping stats the way they are. Makes the politics stat potentially more useful and it makes sense that the MC wouldn’t be able to entirely ignore a military education even if swordplay was put on the back burner. Sure you can read books about history and politics but gotta read books on these campaigns first!

25 Likes

Basically what @Jeeshadow1 said. Plus, I personally think that it’s actually very refreshing to have something different then “traditional skill set”, especially considering that the current one fits well to the story and main character. Also removing the tactical element from politics, would potentially make it rather “weak” if you are not playing more “pacifist-oriented route”. :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

I also haven’t had any issues with the stats as they are, but some other stories include the “description” of what certain stats mean, so that might be a middle-ground? At least for politics, swordsmanship (although that one’s pretty self-explanatory), and aether (mastery?).

5 Likes