Winter of the Bovine [4/5 Chapters, 50k words]

Lmao :joy: you’ll get your chance!

@frogs
Thanks! You shall see. :slight_smile:

@Perch
I’m glad you liked it! Yep, and Dennis has several more chapters to go. XD

The playthrough length is 6/11k so it is relatively long.

4 Likes

And considering others have made comparison to the book Animal Farm and I remember Boxer’s ultimate fate, Meadow’s niceness worries me deeply. Peanut sort’ve does too; makes me feel like these are two characters my cow is going to need to protect possible dangers (like from Havoc and his pack.

As long one possible chance involves my cow (still debating on a official name for her) giving Dennis a strong kick in the stick and berries to do humanity a favor and make sure he never reproduces, I’ll be content. :innocent:

Though seriously, the guy’s really tempting fate. Cows are very sweet, good natured animals most of the time, but even the most gentlest living being can have a limit to their patience. And this particular living being is much larger and bulkier than him, so it can do some decent damage even with a bite.

If he tries picking on Bubbles, he’s going to have two very pissed off cows on him in a matter of seconds. :imp:

4 Likes

As you all have probably come to expect by now, there will be several deaths in this story, even though it’s a standalone. (My first standalone, in fact. :open_mouth: )

Exactly! Any cow can kick ass when they really need/want to, but Winter can in particular.

3 Likes

That’s why I find cows to be honestly pretty darn terrifying. They can be some of the sweetest and most gentle creatures you will ever meet but get on their bad side and they can take you out in a blink of an eye. :cow::fist_right::face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

Haha, yep. They’re a bit unassuming because they usually walk at 2mph, but they can actually run at 35mph, as fast as a horse. And as stated in the demo to Havoc, a coyote or wolf can kill a cow but one good kick will kill the predator.

4 Likes

I actually worked on a small farm for around 5 years back when I lived in Russia and occasionally wild dogs would come to the farm hoping to take a bite out of some of the calfs we had in the barn. I heard some commotion one night and ran out with my rifle to take care of it only to find 2 of the dogs were already dead and the others ran for their lives. Turns out the mama cow gave those dogs a few good kicks and made them think twice about coming back. Never quite looked at those gentle giants the same way again.:fearful:

5 Likes

Yuuup. Some stuff like that is definitely gonna happen in WotB, though of course coyotes (and coywolves, for that matter) are a bit tougher than wild dogs.

1 Like

My most interesting experience involving a cow was having one steal my hat and not give it back until I gave her a few more pets before going on my way (I swear, every animal I’ve met has some weird fascination with my hats). :joy:

The only scary part of that story was when the bull (her well grown son apparently) came behind while I was petting the cow. He just came by to nudge me to get some pets of his own. But I’m not a tall person (stocky but not tall), and he was clearly named Behemoth for a reason. So you can probably imagine why I tensed up for a moment before a friend came by after seeing me with the two and told me he was a harmless…and not even at his full height yet. :rofl:

7 Likes

So cute. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Sounds cute, but when you’re barely past 5 feet tall and you get greeted from behind by a unexpected nudge, a distinctively deep moo, and turn to see a giant bull staring at you very intently, you’d probably freeze up a bit too. :sweat_smile:

But he was a big old teddy bear in the end. Got pretty attached to me too; he always made a beeline whenever I was visiting that farm and I was in his sights. It amused my friend for a good number of reasons (mainly because of the size difference). He liked playing with my hat too.

6 Likes

Few comments:

1. Talking to Meadow about fence-scratching offers you a choice to speak ‘grumpilly.’

2. As fun as farting at Dennis is, why does it increase stealth?

3. Is Havoc hitting on us? 'Cause it sounds like he’s hitting on us. ‘What’s a heifer like you doing behind a gate like that?’

EDIT:
-Winter bellows in ‘aggitation’ when they drag Bubble away.
-During the opening chase scene, it should be ‘implore,’ not ‘emplore.’
-I’m not sure why Dennis is calling us ‘heffer’ instead of ‘heifer,’ unless it’s a regional dialect.

3 Likes

1.) thanks, I’ll fix that tonight.
2.) because it’s a sneaky thing to do :stuck_out_tongue: passively bombing someone while acting all innocent
3.) no :joy: just being creepy

3 Likes

Ok, I know it’s not really related to the story but I saw this picture and I immediately thought of this WIP.

You better watch out Dennis, I don’t think this one takes prisoners.

13 Likes

Holy shit, that’s a bad ass fur pattern. Winter be like —>

5 Likes

During our first convo with Winter, I’d like an option to decline rebellion without being rude to her. I may not be inclined to fight Boris, but I don’t want to scare her calf, either.

5 Likes

Good idea. I’ve been meaning to go back and add another option to many of the choices.

4 Likes

I know this is a serious WIP with ethical dilemmas and other warnings in the intro (which honestly caught me off guard lol bc I clicked on the demo for the cute cow in the cover art lol), but awwww this concept is so cute.

Still, after playing the demo I’m impressed by how informative this actuallt is for me, because I have next to no idea what goes on in farms (where I live there is a very small community and I admittedly didn’t have much interest in such things lol). For instance, I didn’t even know that coywolves existed :sweat:

As for writing and characters-wise, so far we haven’t seen enough of them to discuss in detail, but Peanut the Puppy (shh for the sake of alliteration!!), Boris the (nicer farmer who believes in MC’s intelligence) and Havoc the Stalker (cough coy wolf) stand out. Fellow cow Snowball is cute too!

I look forward to seeing more of this demo! :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m so on board for this.

8 Likes

Thanks so much! Of course, there will be lots of disturbing/exciting parts, and I also want this to be an informative and thought-provoking story, but there will still be plenty of parts that I intend to be funny or cute. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’re liking the characters! Lots more interaction is to come and I plan on releasing Chapter 2 in the next couple weeks or so.

@havenstone
Woohoo!

4 Likes

Real life Winter of the Bovine: cow smashes through fence to escape on the way to slaughterhouse, swam through lake to an island, swam to a neighboring peninsula when chased by firefighters, evaded men with tranquilizers so long that they ran out of cartridges, and broke farmer’s arm when he tried to capture her.

11 Likes