Winter of the Bovine [4/5 Chapters, 50k words]

So the only way to get a good ending for the whole farm is if a sanctuary rescue them? If you try to attack the farmers it will be kinda unlikely you’d get rescued though

All I’ll say for now is that there will be three endings titled Sacrifice, Wilderness, and Sanctuary. They’ll all be bitter sweet.

4 Likes

It definitely has a strong Animal Farm vibe (sorry if that’s been mentioned already.) I’m gonna keep checking on this one, I like what I read so far.

2 Likes

Thanks, @SoleWanderer! Yes, myself and a few others have noted the similarities. I even named a character Snowball and then remembered a few days later that Snowball was one of the biggest characters in AF. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s right! I knew that sounded familiar. Nice reference there. Will there be a chance at an animal uprising against the owners?

2 Likes

@solewanderer

You know it

Also, it’s nice to see so many familiar faces here :smiley: it looks like The Magician’s Burden gained me some traction.

2 Likes

MAJOR UPDATE:

Chapter 2 is now up on the demo! It amounted to 11k, which brings the total word count of the demo to 22k. You’ll see about 11/22k per playthrough. Some new characters are introduced in this one, and the plot starts to pick up a bit more. As always, feedback/comments/typo spotting/bug spotting are much appreciated!

7 Likes

You could make the argument (as Hindus like myself do) that by providing us with milk, they play a positive maternal role for all humanity. Of course, it’s a bad idea to eat or mistreat your mother.

1 Like

In response to the end of chapter 2:
Oh no. Havoc you son of a bitch.

Also I like Saraphina. Hopefully she’s not going to die. And if I ever get the chance to kill or seriously injure Dennis, I will take it.

1 Like

Actually religion is the main way to save farm animals.
Here for example pig farms are pretty much non-existent due to pigs being forbidden to eat according to religious laws. People won’t really care about the animals suffering but if their prophet say it’s forbidden they’ll stop doing it.
And I really hope Havoc won’t eat Bubble

2 Likes

Yeah but milk is one of the biggest causes of cancer, osteoporosis, and diabetes so I would call it negative.

@jinx
Glad you like Saraphina! She’s based off of my late cat of the same name. And yes, I have a feeling everyone wants to kill Dennis, haha.

3 Likes

I thought the link to cancer hadn’t been proven, at least in the case of organic milk.

In any case, WotB does an excellent job of giving the viewer food for thought–Dennis not only makes a very effective hate sink, but also showcases some pretty horrifying agricultural practices. And the bits about bleeding udders is memorable.

Edit: the third choice in our first meeting with Ember has us shaking our head ‘regrettably.’ Shouldn’t that be ‘regretfully’?

3 Likes

Watch What the Health on Netflix if you’re interested in learning about the subject. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’m glad to hear it.

1 Like

Of course not, @Samuel_H_Young :grinning:! Some of us just want to greet Dennis like this:

Tyrannical_Cretarous

And for our hooves to actually connect with some part of his body at some point :grin:

Though first, we got Havoc to deal with. I’m hoping against hope that Bubbles will survive. But even if he doesn’t, Thistle will (hopefully) give Havoc some VERY good reasons to reconsider any form of future attacks on the herd while she’s in in his sights as well.

5 Likes

Aww yeah.

I like your new bovine name, btw.

@anon49824592
Thanks, I’ll fix that typo.

Btw, everyone, there will be multiple unpreventable deaths in WotB, but multiple preventable ones as well.

3 Likes

Oh that cliffhanger killed me! Nevertheless, I absolutely adored this chapter, and Saraphina was so cute! I also loved seeing more of the other cows! Winter has stolen my heart. I can’t wait for the next chapter!!

3 Likes

Glad you liked it, @perch! I plan on putting out Chapter 3 in the next couple weeks.

Alright, everyone. I took a little break from Bovine to work on the first two chapters for The Enchanter’s Misery, but now that particular itch is sated, so I’m going to return to this WIP for at least another chapter before going back to Enchanter. (I’ll probably end up switching back and forth between the two.)

I’m going to get a bit of writing done tonight, but then I’ll be in St. Louis from Friday-Sunday for a big chess tournament. Either way, I should be posting Chapter 3 sometime in April.

4 Likes

FB_IMG_1522172261473Look, a Bubble! :heart_eyes:FB_IMG_1522172222299

(This is Benjamin from the Trew Love Sanctuary)

6 Likes

MAJOR UPDATE:

Chapter 3 is now on the demo. It amounted to 12k, which brings the total word count to 34k, with the play through length clocking in at about 18k. As always, feedback/comments/typo spotting and bug spotting are much appreciated.

9 Likes

Congrats!!! So glad to see you back on the forum :smile: I’ll have to check out the demo as soon as I get home!

1 Like