Winter of the Bovine [4/5 Chapters, 50k words]

This is such an interesting concept! I love cows, and think they are quite possibly the sweetest animals on Earth. Those big brown eyes could compare to a puppy! I can’t wait to see where this goes!

4 Likes

Right?! :heart_eyes:

This is what Bubble the calf, one of the main characters, looks like.

I’m having a lot of fun with it. I’ve been consistently pumping out 1k per day and it will likely end up being around 100k long, so it won’t be long before I release the full beta.

10 Likes

Ohhhh the little white heart on its forehead!! What a sweetie! I can’t wait to read the beta!

3 Likes

I actually didn’t know you were vegan when I made the comment, sorry that I offended you dude :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

WHOA, a sincere apology on the internet :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Thanks.

5 Likes

This is the first fancast I have actually appreciated. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

How old are you in the game? Do you start as a calf or as a grown cow already?

4 Likes

Probably 2 years old. Which is technically still an adolescent (cows are supposed to live 20 years, not 6 max) but you have the physicality of an adult.

5 Likes

So in this game will we have a choice in whether or not we get to live on a farm where we aren’t abused by farmers and forced into small enclosed spaces? If not than no offense but the game sounds like kind of a bummer. Either way its certainly a unique concept and I wish you good luck on it.

2 Likes

As stated in the original post, it’s an organic farm, not an intensive factory farm. (99% of animal products come from factory farms but an organic one works better for an interactive novel.) Farms are intrinsically abusive but there will be lots of elements to the story. I’ll be posting Chapter 1 tomorrow so feel free to take a look and see what you think then. :slight_smile:

What I’m planning is a bit like a small-scale, cow version of Choice of Rebels.

9 Likes

Ok cool. I look forward to it and look forward to leading the great cow uprising.:laughing:

3 Likes

Ah, I see. A bit like this then?

4 Likes

No.

Also, @RETowers, do you think you could add an “allegory” tag so I can use it for this story?

3 Likes

Well, I’ve been a bit hesitant to release this WIP incrementally like I’ve done with all of my previous ones, because this basically challenges one of civilization’s deepest and longest-standing societal norms. I’m anticipating getting tons of shit for it, but then again, that’s gonna happen when it’s published, anyways, so I’ve decided to just post what I’ve got and see what happens. So, that said:

MAJOR UPDATE:
Chapter 1 is now up on the demo. It amounted to 11k words. As always, typo-spotting, bug-spotting, feedback, and comments are much appreciated. I hope you enjoy!

12 Likes

Who are your favorite characters?

• Peanut the dog
  • Boris
  • Gemima
  • Dennis
  • Meadow the cow
  • Bubble the cow
  • Snowball the cow
  • Winter the cow
  • Havoc the coywolf
  • Saraphina the cat
  • Vapor the coyote
  • Astral the coyote
  • Stumble the coyote
  • Binky the dog

0 voters

I’ve read it and it seems good so far, just wanted to ask a question. What is a cow nursing restraint? I did some googling but I couldn’t find anything about it.

1 Like

Thanks! I couldn’t remember exactly what it was called myself, but it turns out it’s a “weaning ring.” I’ve corrected that in the demo.

weaning%20ring

2 Likes

Didn’t officially vote for either of them, but does it count if I say ‘Dennis and Havoc will be my favorite characters to smash their face in and stomp them to the ground’? :grin:

4 Likes

I liked Winter and Bubble, will it be possible to save Bubble?
Meadow is pretty nice too.

5 Likes

Oh, it’s a lot longer than I expected! I really like how you set up the story, and the characters seem sympathetic and lovable! I found my patience wearing thin with Dennis though lol. I can’t wait to see more!

4 Likes