Why Aren't There Any Previews to Games Anymore?

I am speaking, of course, about Paradox Factor and Choice of the Vampire: the Fall of Memphis. Why aren’t we offered a preview for free (one that says boldly “beware: there’s a cliffhanger!”)? Surely one would realize that it’s highly counter-intuitive on a logistical standpoint of a buyer to waltz into a bookstore, promptly pluck a book from the self, and say: “I shall buy it on the description alone!” No. Everyone reads the first chapter. Everyone. So what’s the point of making us buy ChoiceScript games on sheer guess-work?

I don’t think Paradox Factor would actually lend itself that well to a demo. It’s a short game text-wise, (if you count the time it takes to solve the various puzzles then it’s alot longer) and a demo wouldn’t really give you a feel for the magic of the story. It would be an extremely short demo, just a few pages.

I have never read the first chapter of a book in a store before deciding to buy it.

I have many fond memories sitting in one of those plush comfy armchairs at Borders with a handful of books, reading through the first several chapters of each, before deciding which to buy. Sometimes I’d end up buying them all. :smiley: RIP Borders, you are sorely missed. :frowning: Luckily B&N is still around, so armchair book perusals while contentedly munching on a pizza pretzel and sipping a cappuccino are still possible… :slight_smile:

I don’t know, I could see the merit in a demo though. Maybe books was a bad analogy, but for example, for movies, I’d want to see trailers before I bought tickets. I haven’t played Paradox yet so FairGodfeather may be right about that, but not sure if COV has a similar rationale.

I understand Fall of Memphis not having a demo, with it being the sequel to an already free game on the site, but I was surprised with Paradox Factor as well. I guess it makes sense to not give a demo because the game itself is very short but, not having a job, I don’t have much money to spend so it was nice having small blurbs to keep me occupied.

I don’t think that’s likely to be the norm going forward. Paradox Factor and Fall of Memphis are exceptions that just happened to come out at the same time.

I think Paradox Factor is an amazing game. It’s the first choice game I’ve played which was a proper puzzle. It had twists and turns that I thoroughly enjoyed. Once I finished it I had to immediately go and replay it to pick up all of the small things I missed on my first playthrough but which suddenly made sense second time around. I think it’s best played without any sort of spoilers.

I thought it was so clever and there’s just no way a demo could properly encapsulate the wonder of this game. Also, from the way it was coded making a demo would be far more work than a demo usually is, and you’d really not get much more than is available on the screen-shots.

It’s an extremely low-priced game, only $1 and I’d say that it’s worth more than that, especially since it does have a measure of replayability, what with having four possible endings (although once you figure out how to solve the puzzles subsequent playthroughs are pretty fast).

And well Choice of the Vampire acts as a demo for Fall of Memphis, so no real need for a demo there, I think.

I absolutely agree with FairyGodfeather on why Paradox Factor shouldn’t have a demo. The way that the game is written (being unique from all other Choicescript games that I have ever played) would make a demo extremely hard to create.

As for Fall of Memphis, being a sequel I can understand the reasoning behind not including a demo (though in hindsight, I kinda wish I had been able to play a bit of it before the purchase). I’d say these two games are exceptions to it all, and hopefully not the trend for CoG moving forward. Personally, I believe that for most games a demo is quite beneficial.