Why are there so many HGs genderlocked to male?

@DavidGil - I want to perhaps clear the air a bit between us, because it seems to me ( by my individual perception of the above post) that you have taken my point and warped it to fit another narrative I did not intend it to.

Perhaps, there is an element of truth to your assertion here - that history is being rewritten or changed. History is constantly being re-evaluated and re-interpreted … Generals such as Robert E Lee and Ermil Rommel were celebrated much more in the early 20th century by historians and their many works. In today’s publications, they have both taken a hit to their celebratory status and their moral failings and beliefs that are at odds with the societal norms are often being stressed more in modern works.

Yet, there are also many recent discoveries that are made using technology and such that exist now but not before that changes our understanding. Medieval life during the “early” periods prior to the 15th century is one such field that has grown a lot within the past two decades. There is recent burial mounds information and evidence (ie DNA) that show Vikings had more women raiders during the Great Migration period then acknowledged in the past 300 years of historical writing or so …

This is great to hear. I’ve been a supporter of many authors here, providing feedback and more writing their stories as well. @Cataphrak, @JimD, @Vendetta and others can attest to my helping them on all sorts of things related to their game/story development. I would be happy to offer my help to you as well.

I totally agree with you on this - and even though it is much more work I do think it is well worth the effort, time and energy doing so. I’m hoping to follow in your footsteps in this regard with both my contest entry I just turned in to CoG this past March and on a new project I am in the process of pre-production with.

I don’t think I have given anyone flack for this … just yesterday I provided feedback on material of this nature and not once in my feedback did I say the female protagonist should be treated as the male …

This is where I feel you took my statement differently than I intended it. My statement was focused on the fact that the gaming marketplace is much different than it was 10, 20 and 30 years ago. In today’s marketplace to capture up to 45% of the people in it, inclusionary protagonists should be pursued and that many who do not want expanded protagonists use the “historical accuracy” argument in a debunked and false manner.

Let me repost what I said earlier in another thread where “historical accuracy” was brought up (this time in regards to the Roaring 1920’s USA -

In my opinion you are a member of this community which “does better” than the majority of the gaming industry.

4 Likes