Whiskey-Four [WIP] [Part Eight Released] [Writing Complete, undergoing preliminary editing]

No Patreon, but a Discord wouldn’t be a bad idea, either an official one or a fan place for more informal discussions

2 Likes

No, sorry. I might make one in the future, but we’ll see.

I’ll take that as a compliment!

Progress has continued smoothly over the last weeks. My projection for a final word count is roughly 280,000 words. I’ve got four different big variations on the climax ready, as well as eight or so epilogues with a nice amount of variations between them.

And since I haven’t provided y’all with content in a little while, here’s a snippet of one of the potential routes you can go down.

Spoilers, obviously–and keep in mind this route is not a guaranteed outcome.

"No more! Fucking stop it!" you howl, barely coherent. Your thoughts come to you in a chaotic jumble. You bite down on your own tongue.

Soon, you're both spitting and crying blood.

Eventually, ${Ulysses} complies, but you can tell right away that it wasn't because of your protests. Instead of sympathy, ${u_he} turns to you with a grim look written across ${u_his} face.

"We need to move, ${real_name}," ${u_he} says softly as ${u_he} stoops down to retrieve something from the floor.

"Just leave me," you moan, slumping against the steel. Sweat pours down your face from both the pain and the rapidly building heat. The flames are growing now, casting dancing shadows across the interior of the steel box you're trapped inside.

This is hell. It has the torture and the fire. The only thing missing is the devil, and you're sure it's on its way.

You're not sure what's going to kill you first--it, or the blood loss and smoke inhalation.

When ${Ulysses} finally stands back up, ${u_he}'s carrying a familiar bladed weapon in ${u_his} hands.

$!{u_he} rests the edge of your ${melee_name} against your shattered, trapped arm.

Your blood runs cold as you realize what ${u_he}'s about to do. At what ${u_he} [i]needs[/i] to do if you're going to survive this.

"You don't get to die here, love."

You shout, "Leave me and go, goddamn--"

*page_break ${Ulysses} brings the blade down on your elbow.
*set p10_ArmSevered true
60 Likes

I swear that relationship is really going to mess up my expectations of angsty romances. The bar can only get higher from here.

37 Likes

Hot.

21 Likes

Hope there’s a route where mc keeps both arms too. :persevere:

13 Likes

Recently I have been through a several yandere games there the MC gets their limbs hacked off. I’m glad that Uly joins the plethora of these wonderful LIs in their usual fashion of having an actual legit reason for doing so, what a king.

18 Likes

I think I’m one of the few people who doesn’t like Ulysses, he’s so annoying…

4 Likes

Eh, everyone has different tastes, and Uli ain’t 100 credit bill.

9 Likes

Absolutely loving this scene… And that makes me realize I may have a little tiny problem.

14 Likes

My first thought, the informations redacted in the dossier files really felt like something straight out of the SCP foundation :laughing:

It appears I can’t comment more than 1 reply so I’ll just add it here.

Took me 2 days and some complete redos but I’m finally done playing the demo. Holy shit was this thrilling, every “arc” made me jump in excitement. The train scene gotta be my favorite one, I’ve never been so spectacularly erect.

Spoilers

And Ulysses, I already know I got few screws loose but holy shit he’s hot, was expecting the kiss to be more violent ngl like slamming across the floor typa. Maybe he would if I provoke him? XD jk jk I’m not risking dying.

Really loved Shonin, I like philosophy, history, arts and gangsters (and older men) so it made the perfect mixture for me :ok_hand:
Wishing his art collection survives somehow, it always pains me to see precious stuff get destroyed like that in fiction.

Moving on to next, Mendez gotta be my favorite side character, I liked her since first sight and knowing she has a child made me like her more, I have a soft spot for children.
When she died, I immediately went back to save her, I wanted to keep my bomb till the end if possible but alas. (question, how do I keep a rifle?)
Merdez kinda reminds be of that cop from The Bad Guys Animation, whenever I try to imagine her, I see that big and angry ginger cop. Hope to see more of her and her daughter!! Preferably safe and sound. (might have to break the streak of playfulless and go berserk if anything happens to my her and my daughter)

Lastly, when do we get to bang Castle?

8 Likes

I think that the only way to have the rifle is choosing to fight until the very end back in the fancy hotel instead of fleeing.

Mendez is also my favorite and picturing the crossover between the two was an unexpected but amusing image!

3 Likes

I’ll take that.

I’ll also take that lol.

I… didn’t realize this was a thing.

You’re definitely not. I’ve got an IRL tester who absolutely loathes them, and another who swears by them. Such is life. You’ll never be forced to rekindle anything with them, though.

Don’t we all?

I plan on adding more of them, too.

I’ll… take that.

I was debating adding the option to sleep with her in that hotel, as right now the only two people you’re able to sleep with are male. Might add one with Mendez, too, for the hell of it. My biggest problem is for the former, you just got the mental flashbang of learning about Uly being alive, and really isn’t a moment for it in the latter.

That’s correct.

As for a progress report, I’ve made some seriously good progress over the last days. I’ve reached the end of one route and am now using it as the template to construct the other ending routes. After that, I just have to fill in placeholders and do the epilogues.

My mind’s been drifting toward what to implement to increase variety in what’s already been written. I originally set out to do a similar body type system to ITFO, but I found that it came up less and less as your physicality doesn’t really matter when shooting a gun. God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal and all that.

I think I could implement a similar intimidation system, or streamline and just have body/face influence people’s reactions to you. If you look young, have Driver jest about how you don’t look like an AIU agent and so on. There’s just less intimidating that happens later in the book, and a lot more shooting.

I’d love to do a personality system, too, but I feel as if Whiskey’s mostly defined personality is kind of baked into the book. The narration and prose itself is colored by their POV.

Is there anything you guys would want to see? Are their decisions in the book that are premade you wish you could have influenced? Are there responses you wish had more variety, etc? Is there a customization element you want to see explored? I was already planning on opening up hair customization as my original vision for the book has shifted over time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

43 Likes

What about adding “shooting styles” … examples could include: flippant from the hip, straight-shooter, trickster shooting, etc … this type of flavor content can really magnify the 90’s action-hero feel of the game and can add further ways to personalize the MC.

7 Likes

I don’t think you have time to twirl your pistol like a show gunslinger while you’re fighting corpo kill squads and corrupt cops.

Besides Whiskey is military trained, they are going to shoot the way the military taught them.

Maybe there could be more options for your pistol? Something like the gun Harrison Ford’s Rick Deckard uses in Blade Runner would be cool.

20 Likes

Stovepipe jam for M1911 users. I’d laugh my ass off.

8 Likes

The anomalies and AIU concept remind me of the Antimemetics Division canon in SCP. Very fine work overall.

5 Likes

I really liked this in ITFO and I think it would work well here as well.

7 Likes

Man, this WIP easily has the best action scenes I have ever seen in any CoG. Going full murderhobo here is pure bliss.

11 Likes

It rivals Fallen Hero, if you haven’t seen the gala fight and Argent fight i suggest you do.

5 Likes

I did. Fallen Hero is one of my favorite series

5 Likes