Whiskey-Four [WIP] [First round of Beta Testing underway!]

He’s done it again; this is top 3 material and it isn’t even finished yet

9 Likes

I’ve been playing CoG since 2011 (I think, somewhere around that time anyways), this is easily one of the most engaging demos I’ve played since the Infinity series. Awesome immersion, interesting characters, and a thrilling storyline — feels like Cyberpunk, Jason Borne, John Wick, and James Bond had an operator lovechild with the opposite of a drinking problem. I absolutely love it.

The option to run a lever-action shotgun Terminator style would be a pretty cool addition, js :grin:

13 Likes

How about cybernetic upgrades? Like enhancing our eye implant for example

4 Likes

I would love if there were scars and characterz could react to them, or maybe gaining some in the process. Like Uly would comment about new thing or Driver. Thanks in advance, amazing book and your writing skill are top!!

1 Like

Playing this made me feel like I was in a Mission Impossible™️ movie, being chased by a Yandere (which is kinda hot) while facing horrors beyond comprehension.

10 Likes

I don’t know, I think that flinging yourself into a one night stand or a new relationship can make sense in that kind of situation. A “forget them, they don’t have any power over me anymore” thing where you’re sort of proving to yourself that you can live the life you want to live, etc etc.

Sure, maybe it’s not the best idea, but it does seem plenty realistic to me.

15 Likes

Hmm, maybe not shooting specifically–there’s only so much flavor you can add when using a rifle–but I like the idea of combat styles. Maybe I can do some digging into real martial arts and let you chose an ornate vs pragmatic vs brutal like I did with ITFO. Mix together some real world styles and fully embrace that John Wick flair.

I like the idea of adding a revolver. I might go back and add some extra flavor depending on pistol to old scenes for the sake of variation. It’s a lot easier to add branches retrospectively.

I think Driver’s rifle stovepipes during the hotel chase actually lol.

Memetics have always freaked me out for some reason that I can’t nail down well.

I was thinking of fully opening up customization. Divide the body types into height vs build, so you could be tall and lithe or built like a Tolkien dwarf. Maybe add options for additional tattoos beside the army one that could influence a “professional vs mercenary” stat that determines how people think you’d act.

Glad to hear it!

Retribution (and specifically Ortega, which is strange because I’m normally not a big romance fan) absolutely broke me. I’ve replayed it at least four times now lol.

Don’t worry, I still have time to absolutely butcher the ending.

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

I always like to think of Whiskey-Four as a mix of Die Hard, James Bond, and John Wick in a sci-fi setting. Shooting for that 90’s action movie vibe.

There’s some potential in this, too as it’d open up some new and interesting ways of fighting, but I feel as if giving Whiskey upgrades might take away from the whole “washed-up veteran” vibe.

I definitely think specific scars would be a good way to help build characterization. Opening up physical customization in general is a good path to allow people to personalize Whiskey since their personality is a lot more set in stone than even ITFO.

Definitely the kind of experience I’m shooting for.

Oh, that’s actually a really good idea. It’s definitely not out of either character’s characterization, either.

One of my favorite aspects of writing Whiskey-Four so far has been that all of the characters are… adults? In ITFO, the MC is a deeply troubled individual with no romantic experience, so all intimate scenes must be written from that headspace. I was kind of growing tired of that drawn-out romantic drama, so it was nice being able to just write characters who are adults who treat intimacy very casually.

Of course, you have Uly who is much less casual about it, but that sort of contrast almost makes them hit harder. Both Castle, Driver, and even Shonin don’t have any qualms with a casual relationship, which makes Uly an anomaly (not in the extradimensional horror sense). If every character is Uly, then no character is Uly–if that makes any sense.

56 Likes

This struck me as much funnier than it probably should have.

24 Likes

ahhhh I didn’t use to get the appeal of yanderes chopping my limbs off but I think I do now

14 Likes

I love me some juicy waifu that will actually just kill me😍

7 Likes

Ended up playing through the demo and quite enjoying it. It was like someone kidnapped Lee Child and told him to write a Jack Reacher CYOA book, and it also had to be in space.

I probably should have more comments but I enjoyed the ride too much. Will return if I think of more but the one that I had was that when W4 is speaking to his old commanding officer and telling him what’s going on, he speaks in general, plain terms. Given that he works for an ultra secret military organization, there would be an entire terminology of codewords, number designations (like 187 for murder), and phrases used to get that message across. I definitely recommend considering a revision of that sequence and other places where such chatter might fit. Good world building, too (think LeCarre’s spy terminology in his works).

2 Likes

I been really enjoy this story and mystery, really can’t wait for the full release!
also,
Is there a reason Whiskey is on Polyphemus right now?
Seems too much of a coincident that Whiskey end up on this specific planet at this specific time point after 3 yrs of aimless drifting? (Or am I just reading too much into it lol, I totally understand if the story just need to happen)

1 Like

It’s possible that Ye Ole Plot Twist on that point is still coming, but to be honest in whichever genre you want to classify this as - mystery, thriller, horror - the coincidence of simply being present is somewhat the point. The protagonist is the disrupting force in the intended order of things. Think of Hercule Poirot. Sometimes he is intentionally involved in an investigation. Often though he is simply in the vicinity and becomes involved. The Reacher books are almost entirely a matter of Reacher happening upon criminal activity.

14 Likes

I thought it was worth additional clarification.

I didn’t even realize it was a thing until now, but I suppose I’m happy to have contributed to that literary body of… questionable merit.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ll put that in the official description lol

Oh, I actually like that. Come up with a codeword for Anomaly or something along those lines.

One of my biggest inspirations for this was Die Hard of all movies, in which Bruce Willis just happens to be in the right place at the right time. It was that kind of vibe I was going for.

^^^ Exactly this.

As for a progress report, I’m still making good progress. I ended up splitting the final battle into a lot more parts than I thought I was going to initially, but I’m now probably 60% of the way done with the final part. Hopefully, I can get the grunt writing done in either late June or early July.

I figured I’d have the entire book done before ITFO, but alas.

Anyway, I also figured another sneak peek was in order. Mild spoilers!!! obviously.

You remain motionless, casting your flashlight on the ceiling as the very concrete around you groans as if it were a living being.

Your pulse quickens.

The sigh lasts for several moments, echoing down the pipe and vibrating the walls themselves. You glance back at Castle, who has gone completely pale. But, just as abruptly as it started, it ends.

A silence settles on the three of you.

"Castle," Driver says, glancing around the walls nervously. "I'd like to extend a formal apology."

"Yeah..."

You gesture with your pistol toward the path ahead, concealed as it takes a shallow turn up and to the right.

"Wonder if the storm has started on the surface," you say.

"Shut the fuck up," Castle grunts.

The thin pool of water below you suddenly begins to flow faster. Water trickles down from the bend above. It rushes against your shoes, gradually picking up in intensity.

You chuckle grimly. "Well, that answers [i]that[/i] question.

With a renewed pace brought on by a healthy amount of fear, you continue through the tunnel. You hear Castle occasionally muttering under her breath behind you about how this was all a terrible idea and how you're going to drown down here and how Uvarov probably isn't planning anything anyway.

You don't entirely blame her for her trepidation. The peaceful silence from before has been replaced by the quiet, but definite sound of flowing water. The dark liquid shines beneath the light of your flashlight beams, bouncing and refracting.

A wry smile pulls at your lips.

[i]Enlist in the army, they said.

*page_break [i]See the galaxy, they said.
47 Likes

Glad it’s everything going well and peaceful - though peace is short in Whiskey’s life. I’m just here to check and say hi, hope you’re doing well.

Got chills down my spine, Castle always being the grumpier and Driver the chilliest, and Whiskey’s ironic self-dialogues are so… tragically good (not the right description, but close).

7 Likes

OK, so whiskey won’t be done by the release of ITFO, cut it pretty close though

1 Like

Got this when I walked up to the lone worker at the relay place. I was playing as a female, but the MC said “Just a man in need of some help.”

3 Likes

maybe I didn’t pay much attention or whatever, but can anyone tell me why MCs are sometimes called silver eyes, whereas I set blue eyes

1 Like

You are called “silver eyes” because your implanted eye has a metallic-silver outline around your eye-socket that is captured on video used in security feeds and news feeds.

30 Likes

Got this during the standoff with the drone in the train. I was playing as a female MC and got “just to take out one man–”

2 Likes