Which words do you like/dislike?

I am trying to work in the phrase “whoopsie daisy” into CCH2. It’s so delightful.

I also like the world “delightful.”

I hate “alrighty” but my mind uses it all the time - eh :frowning:

Right there with you:

“Oh yes! I nearly forgot.” Valentine heaves it into the back seat of the cab, saying “Upsie-daisy!”

Haha, is that in Tally Ho?? I have that one ready to read as soon as I submit the CCH2 files.

It is from Tally Ho! I’m glad to meet another -daisy suffix afficionado!

Hippopotamus.

That’s my favorite word. I can not say it without smiling. Even just hippo is fun.

It’s even fun to say in French. Maybe other languages too, but French and English are the only two languages I can say Hippopotamus in.

(I’m not drunk right now I swear)

Would you like a piece of news to set your blood boiling? Too bad I’m giving it to you anyway. Merriam-Webster has actually added a definition to their entry for the word “literally,” that effectively means “figuratively.”

I literally can’t believe it.

Arete (20 characters)

That’s the problem!! Now the word has no meaning! It’s got to be the only word in the English language that now means one thing…and also the opposite of that thing! It’s its own antonym!

I’m left wondering is @Havenstone just being funny? Sharing our collective dismay? Or is s/he actually disbelieving? Should I find a link to an online dictionary.

Communication is over. Society is doomed. I’m going to go lie down.

He is a master of communicating. If I had to guess he is being seriously punny in his disbelief that literally has no more meaning then figurativly … go figure, huh?

The paradox.
(20char)

Interestingly, there’s lots of those! They are called “Janus words.” My favorites are “cleave” (to cut apart / to cling together), “trim” (to add to / to remove), and “left” (to leave / to remain). I bet there are dozens and dozens of them.

There was a pastor in my church growing up who was a serial abuser of the word “literally.” He was a fan of all the most powerful metaphors of Scripture, and really, really wanted us all to feel their truth…leading to such heartfelt lines as, “We can literally climb up in God’s lap and call Him Daddy.”

My all time favorite was, “We have to literally take our hearts out and give them to the Lord.” (No, Stan, I’m sorry…that’s the Temple of Doom.)

Sounds like a new technique for the Hegemony to try, cut out the still beating hearts of the blood-cattle and then show them their still-beating hearts in their last living moments in a new and improved way to harvest the “magic juice”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, like I said, the religion of the XoRverse is a nightmare version of my own. :slight_smile:

And on topic, I was wondering today whether Tolkien’s fondness for “cellar door” was entirely contingent on his Britishness. It just doesn’t have the same flow at all in a US accent (as witness Drew Barrymore in Donnie Darko).

That made me think of the word fit. Depending on how that’s used it’s kinda an antonym. In the UK(at least where I live, but I think it’s quite widely used) fit means good looking. I say I’m not sure as I can’t remember the last time I heard someone use it to mean in good shape. And I don’t need to use a word to refer to someone in good shape much, but that’s a good thing and why I hate the word fit, there’s not too many other words to mean in good shape, at least that I can think of. It’s not like there’s a lack of words meaning good looking. I think the word hench only applies to muscley people too.

Which also reminds me I hate when people use slang, particularly working class slang to be cool or what not. I’m not sure if that’s the reason my aunt does it, but she uses the word innit a lot, despite her being as posh as can be.

Probably been said before, but just to hammer in that nail for anyone checking. There is actually a sizable part of the population that hate the word MOIST.

Also weirdly like the word melancholy. Not even because of the meaning, I just like the word.

i like words that sound poetic or have beautiful meanings. for example, my screen name, which means “sunlight filtering through the leaves of trees”, or vellichor, meaning “the strange wistfulness of used bookshops”.

as for words i hate, i cannot stand the word crusty. it sends me into fight or flight mode immediately whenever i read or hear it.

I may be alone in this, but I can’t stand the word ‘said’ in writing. Mostly because it’s used all the time!
Nothing is more annoying to me than to read a book where everything is literally “he said she said”.

This mainly bothers me because said is such a bland word to use when describing what someone is saying. You could use ‘yelled’ or ‘mumbled’ or ‘commented’, or so many other words that give a better image than just using ‘said’. It just feels lazy to me.