Which words do you like/dislike?

Okay, I don’t want to go full political and derail this thread, but I do feel the need to respond to this. Very simply, I don’t believe that injustice should be a competition. I don’t believe in making personal pain a competition. An individual–a whole community, even–can be pro-women’s equality, pro-STEM, pro-EPA, and pro-LGBTQA+ rights as well as anti-animal cruelty, anti-child abuse, and anti-corruption, etc. etc. The fact that those other problems also exist does not make systemic racism, sexism, cancer, droughts, economic disparities, and so on disappear.

I’m sorry, but yes, to an 11 year old transgender student who is getting brutally bullied and beaten up at school TODAY for trying to use their preferred bathroom, telling them that terrorism is a much bigger world problem is cold comfort. The subject of which country is bombing other countries is a vague abstract they have no control over, nor does it help their present lack of safety. There should be room in our collective hearts and community services to tackle ALL of these problems.

Instead, the same people who make subjective priority lists tend to say “We should be worried about the much bigger problem of X before we worry about something as silly as Y” are often the same people who say things like “we should take care of our vets BEFORE refugees or immigrants,” only to use it as an excuse to ignore refugees and immigrants and THEN still vote to take away healthcare and job support to vets. /rant

Apologies to OP for tangent. Soap box is down. Returning now to our regularly scheduled programming…:sweat_smile:

Yes, that is a great one! :laughing:

I misread your comment. At first, I thought the friend called YOU “Puppers.” Now I understand that he is using that term to describe a puppy.

It doesn’t make it any better, really. Perhaps a tad.

I like using the word “scootch,” as in, “I need more room on the sofa. Can you scootch over?”

I also like…

robust
purportedly
whimsy
tomfoolery

When I tried cases, I always would bet with a friend/co-worker where I would use a weird word during the trial. It could even be something like “pug” (in a case that didn’t involve dogs) or “nay!” as in, “The Defendant’s actions are, disgraceful, nay, outrageous!”

My favorite word?

Bamboozled.

It all started when we’re buying some snow spray for a prank in school, but they turned out to be absolute crap. So one of the girls just ran into the store and screamed at the top of her lungs “WE’VE BEEN BAMBOOZLED, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.”

I think I busted a rib from the amount of laughter that day.

People tell me that my favourite word is “actually” because of my tendency to join into a conversation correcting someone’s mistaken facts “Actually, super glue and epoxy are to different things that do the same job.”

But I personally enjoy “befuddle” or befuddling other people in general.

My favorite words are anything with a voiced labiodental fricative in the first or second syllable. “Violet”. “Victory”. “Velvet”. “Svelte”.

My favorite Filipino word is “bahaghari”. It means rainbow. But it’s actually a product of two separate words, “bahag” (loin cloth), and “hari” (king). So literally, it means loin cloth king/king with a loincloth.

Oh, and one word that I really like but can’t use that often is “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”. Uses are limited to Disney and theater nights.

That’s a good one. I like any word with a linguolabial trill, myself.

Something similar happens to me with the word “hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia”.

And I don’t like the word “retarded”, at least when it’s used as an insult, I honestly don’t know if there are situations in which it can be considered a proper term, or if there’s a better term in English.
And I don’t like certain words in Spanish for the same reason.

Did you still have a very much So medical meeting and then it has evolved into a derogatory word. But you can still use it in conversation and then not sound entirely horrible. For example Trump has retarded emotional intelligence.

Trans women are murdered in the US on a regular basis. Seven were killed in the first six weeks of 2017. This only includes murders of trans women that were publicly recorded. The deadliest year in the US on record for trans women was 2016. Considering that trans women make up a rather low percentage of the US population, this rate is extremely high. The arguments and bills about bathrooms is simply a symptom of the violently transmisogynistic society that we currently live in. It may not be a big deal to you if it isn’t concerning yourself or the people close to you. However that does not mean that it isn’t a big deal. It’s difficult to really know if you aren’t in a specific situation, but that’s all the more reason to not blow off these issues: how could you have any idea how big of a problem it is if you don’t know its depth?

That’s the thing it’s not in my sphere. I’m not not sympathetic to it I feel like everyone has the right to self sovereignty. And that symptom of a bill is an Invasion of that sovereignty. I simultaneously I’ve been to nations that are developing nations that have also been affected by prolonged periods of conflict and war. See how that scar the landscape and affects the people specially if we have a hand in it, personally from my experience makes everything else feel so small. We have a massive problem when it comes to sexual discrimination it’s true but at least you don’t have to worry about a bomb being dropped on you when you’re walking your kid to school, or for moderate rebels taking over your town with CIA backed weapons. Or something more basic just having you infrastructure shot the shit and there’s no functioning police force and you have to rely on local tribes or militias do have any resemblance of order. America has a hard time wanting to stop it because we don’t live in even if we cause it.

I’m actually at a point where I tend to avoid using the word “straight” even in its literal meaning :confused: not like I actually really dislike the word, and I don’t make a big conscious effort out of it, it’s just something I end up not saying as much 'cause it feels kinda funny now. I’m not even really sure why.

It might also be related that it sounded really weird when I was learning to parallel park and my mother told me “I want you to be straight.” I knew she meant the angle of the car, but… :sweat_smile:

Your post just encouraged me to make one of those. That was quite fun, really :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow yeah I can see how that could make you cringe…I myself divorce the meaning of “straight” as in a straight line and “straight” as in hetros, just like “move that to the right” vs “you’re right about that”. Almost all the time I use that word though it’s about sexual orientation.

It seems most people on this site uses “straight” in the heterosexual sense. I barely ever use it in that context, most of the time I only use it when I say: “I am walking in a STRAIGHT line, officer.”

When I’m giving directions, I always say “go forward.” I was trained out of the word “straight” at a young age, for entirely different reasons. When you’re around criminals, “straight” is a distasteful word. :smile:

There was a saying about the taboo: “Never go straight; go forward. If you go straight, you lose all your friends.”

“It was as a pole would be”
“Unlike the roundabout”

Is kind of what instantly popped into my mind when I read that :upside_down_face:.

Straight does sound a bit odd when used certain ways, but out of curiosity, how would you handle common words or phrases like “straight ahead”?

That one is just “forward”. Geometry is a little harder… you have to talk around things and say “draw this line parallel to that one”, or “draw that line between these two points.” And it ends up being s*******. Anything to avoid that death glare.

Ironically I only started using the word “straight” once I came out as bi and was parodying other phrases, e.g. “I’m as straight as a wavy line.” It seemed different enough in context (and was out of earshot of my family and their associates.)

I can imagine it being hard in geometry haha.

I had a friend once who used to do that - calling himself as straight as the windows in the library we were in, and that library had curved windows.

These days I found myself using the word “straight” most often when trying to explain what a transect is.