Which words do you like/dislike?

But how else are we going to refer to Cr1tikal, our almighty nipple lord?

I didn’t think CoG allowed XXX games. The things we learn every day. :stuck_out_tongue:

At most it’s XX. It should be fine.

Enough! Have ye no mercy?!

In all seriousness, I don’t hate it. It’s a fairly useful, descriptive word. But as well as the way it sounds, it evokes gross images/senses.

Haha, same here; in my case it makes me think of guts and viscera. I usually try to avoid it, unless I want to gross people out on purpose.

Yep; you could use peepers, too; orbs sounds awkward when talking about someone’s eyes.

For some reason I don’t like the word “fairy” :rage: I very much prefer the term “faerie”.

I prefer orbs when you refer to someones eye socket in the same sentence…

F A I R Y

It’s clearly the superior spelling.

Can’t believe people hate moist that much. All I can think of when I hear moist is food. Probably cause I heard Gordon Ramsay use moist to describe food a few times. Plus I think “a moist piece of chicken” sounds delicious, while “a wet piece of chicken” sounds like the chef got some beef with me and threw my chicken into the dish washer before serving it to me

Well since I’m her girlfriend too then it’s exactly equal :wink:

“Partner” is too…not formal, exactly, but kind of bland and business-like. I’d use it to describe a person I was working with long-term, but there’s more to a relationship than that. “Significant other” is too vague, and “lover” is a bit cringey. Basically, there’s only one word I like to describe this concept: “gibberdygok”. It’s gender-neutral, awesome sounding (though you can pronounce it however you want) and conveys the concept perfectly.

I am quite fan of lover but rarely use it. Normal I would say old lady or partner in crime.

I think I personally prefer phrases like “I’m dating…” or “I’m in a relationship with…” rather than use words like partner or lover.
However, English is not my first language so it could feel a little different to me.

I’ve recently come to the conclusion I dislike the word: “transsexual”. There is no more for me to say on this topic.

"Arbitrary"
It’s a long story

I just remembered that I also dislike anything that has the suffix “-gate”. Well, the suffix “-gate” in general.

On a similar note, the term “homosexual” makes me uncomfortable. It sounds so…not sure how to explain it, honestly. It’s like using the term “homo sapiens” instead of saying “humans” or “people.” The latter most is primarily used in more formal contexts (science papers and studied and such). Homosexual isn’t a term I’m used to hearing in positive contexts. In my experience, it’s one of the go-to terms for homophobes. Similar to “lifestyle choice.” Like, there’s nothing inherently wrong with it, but it’s become something I’m uncomfortable with due to the way it’s used. Also, I can’t help but be reminded of what I read when I was doing my research paper on the AIDS crisis. A news outlet during the time refused to use the word gay because “gay means happy and homosexuals are not happy,” and they didn’t want to “promote the homosexual lifestyle.” I think it may have been the New York Times, but I’d have to look it up. I realized after I read that that a lot of the homophobic shit I’ve read has come from people who seem to try to avoid using the word gay:/

Huh, the thing that always makes me feel unsettled on a not entirely rational level is “gay” being used as a noun rather than an adjectively, mostly when it’s pluralized into “gays.” I just feel a little :grimacing: every time I hear or read “gays,” even in an entirely supportive context. I think because I’ve seen “gays” used so many times in homophobic contexts of people talking about “the gays.”

Well, there, I’ve just written a paragraph that I can never reread without making myself wince :sweat_smile:

For the longest time I’ve actually felt more comfortable with the term “homosexual” than “gay” which I think must be because I internalized the fact that among young children, “gay” generally meant “bad” without any particularly association with the sexual orientation. While the term “homosexual” always felt more neutral to me, so I had an easier time associating with it. But this seems to be unusual :disappointed_relieved: I certainly understand and appreciate that we’ve all had different experiences so we have different instictive responses to the same words…

There also used to be the term homophile, which seems rather nice to me, but it has also faded out of use. I’m not really sure why, or if there were problems with it along the way :confused:

Bu while we’re talking about words we dislike… “straight” to mean heterosexual. I’m not going to advocate getting rid of it because it sure seems like it’s here to stay, but I mean, just look at the word. It means proper and honest. I didn’t even like the term when I thought I was one. It suggests heterosexuality is “correct” and then that describes alternatives as incorrect :angry:

Yeah, unfortunately any word we have for ourselves will inevitably be used as an insult at one point or another😑 But the term “straight” actually originated from gay communities as slang. It was originally “to go straight,” (reference to “straight and narrow”) and meant “to stop having gay sex.” Using it to mean “heterosexual” seems like it could’ve started as a tongue in cheek joke.

Oh, also! The term “homophile” faded with the rise of gay rights organizations (after stonewall). It was associated with organizations that put focus on assimilation rather than liberation.

Which still implies that being actively gay and living in a fairly mainstream way are mutually exclusive… which makes sense, given gay people being marginilized, but still has some uncomfortable connotations. (Which isn’t to say that anyone should need to be mainstream [as with liberation!] but actively being gay shouldn’t exclude anyone, either :disappointed:)

But really this is more something that annoys me that something I think is actually worth changing.

Oh, well, I am aware of the older style homophile organizations… I’m just not aware if the term itself picked up unfortunate baggage in the process :disappointed_relieved: I definitely see that the groups did good work early on, but as time moved on they would end up more exclusionary :disappointed: (I also recall there being some criticisms of early groups having problems with sexism… leadership roles for gay men, while lesbians bring out the refreshments… :rolling_eyes: but sexism was and continues to be a prevelant problem in lots of other activist groups, so I doubt they were worse… :disappointed:)

I still like the idea of the word, though, since it focuses on the idea of same-loving :hugging:

I need another pet peeve about disliking words to keep on topic, don’t I? Okay… pronunciations of Latin words in English-speaking legal contexts always make me go :confounded:

your mother? I don’t think I’d refer to anyone I’m in a relationship with as old lady…