Which words do you like/dislike?

As an ecology major, big words are my life. I used them a lot when writing research paper so I sounds like I know what I’m talking about xd

A bit off topic, but it’s also one of my pet peeves, seems like scientists, biologists specifically, is really bad at communicating with lay people. There are so many words used in research papers that could be simplified and make it more accessible to other people.

Oh, yeah; I agree in certain contexts using a lot of big words is the way to go (largely depends on the intended audience). The goal of writing papers that way (as well as requiring them to be written that way) is to make them inaccessible. Which deals a lot with class inequality. Wouldn’t want poor people to have easy access to information like that, of course (sarcasm).

Lol yeah, which is one aspect of academics that I dislike. I kinda made it my goal to try and make my papers as accessible as possible if I ever get published. Though it can be hard, since reviewers might force me to use needlessly complicate words. But I digress

Rather than dislike, I feel the words are cringe worthy. Lols :joy:

“Succulent” “Girth” “Robust” “Chunky”

As for big words, it’s kind of like that old rule about good writing: “once you know the rules of grammar, you can break them.”

Using only the necessary, simple words to describe things is impressive. Using simple words plus long words is more impressive. Using long words excessively is when you start looking silly.

Knowing exactly when to use a long word, in a string of short ones? That’s when you can really make your mark.

“I know how you look when you wake up.” - good
"I know how you look when you wake, your face both yearning and desolate." - more descriptive
"I am cognizant of your waking visage, expressions both somehow yearning for my sustaining touch and surprisingly desolate, like deserts on the moon" - overly wordy and pretentious
"When you wake, you look as desolate as a desert in need of water" - a rough draft on the way to the right phrasing

There is no single word that cannot be put into context to have a use.

“Madam, that plant you’ve bought is a succulent - yes, it’s in the aloe family.”

“Um, can you blend that sheep’s milk a bit more before we mix it? It’s sort of chunky.”

“So, my boss was talking the other day about solutioning. I could solution her into a .03 mixture and give her to Sherlock Holmes; it’d be one way to get rid of her.”

The word that always drives me crazy is “partner” in the context of a romantic relationship…She’s not my partner, she’s my girlfriend :rage:

You’re not partners in a relationship? Sounds unequal :blush: [quote=“a_shoggoth, post:44, topic:24758”]
As an ecology major, big words are my life. I used them a lot when writing research paper so I sounds like I know what I’m talking about xd
[/quote]

When I wrote essays (mostly back in middle school, I grew out of the habit by high school) I always had a thesaurus with me and added in needlessly long words you’d never hear in the vernacular, and since I just looked them up I occasionally got the usage wrong. I was just trying to impress, which admittedly I only did when I stopped.

Though I still hate looking at my paragraph transitions to this day.

I hate" sorry " expecialy saying to girls for no reason just for cracking jokes or making fun . But it’s a habit now believe me if you’re my FB friend to will get many sorry then hi …Just jocking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol anyway I also dislike " study" lol even Hitler was better then this it is a big trap which keep on draging me to hell …

Seriously, what’s all the hate with “moist”? Watching Cr1tikal uses it so much and I don’t exactly understand why people don’t like it…

My dirty, dirty mind flew to different places seing those four words in a row.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, some of my word pet peeves have been mentioned already, but I somehow can’t stand the word “triggered”. Can’t say why exactly.

“Fetch”, too. Even my dogs used to dislike it. Dunno if they were there when I first watched Mean Girls and somehow inherited my irrational hatred of the word. “Fetch” will never happen. Even my dogs agreed that “fetch” will never happen.

And “like”. When you use it, like, in the middle of written sentences. Like this. I don’t have a problem when it’s used when speaking, and I admit that I use it in my stories sometimes so I’m not above it all, but I just realized that it looks a bit…bad. Especially in internet forums and essays.

Soo… um like totally… when I first started hearing “triggered” I kept imagining guns and like… it was the totes the most awkward thing like OMG[quote=“LaReveuse, post:53, topic:24758”]
My dirty, dirty mind flew to different places seing those four words in a row.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
[/quote]

So like um… like what’s dirty and chunky? Like totally that sounds totes gross…

Like how can you dislike the word fetch? Like OMG![quote=“LaReveuse, post:53, topic:24758”]
And “like”. When you use it, like, in the middle of written sentences. Like this. I don’t have a problem when it’s used when speaking, and I admit that I use it in my stories sometimes so I’m not above it all, but I just realized that it looks a bit…bad. Especially in internet forums and essays.
[/quote]

Like umm… this is like my biggest like disagreement with you. You see like; like is a perfectly natural like um thing to interject in the middle of your like um sentences so um like yeah, you should totes accept my opinion over yours!

I dislike euphemisms and try to avoid them when I can without getting in trouble.
But George Carlin says it better.

So umm like the other day I went to fetch my male cis adult dog, those moist puppy dog orbs begged me to play with him so I solutioned it and played fetch. So me and my female cis partner got a succulent Frisbee for him to fetch. Like literally my eyes popped out my head when I saw my dog run towards the succulent disk so fast like I never saw the pipsqueak so excited! I guesstimated he’d be back in half a minute. I considered going back inside to hang with my cis female partner, my pumpkin, my bae, since like I had allergies and a sore throat, but the implication seemed bad. I had an obligation to help! At least that’s what was purported from my cis female partner. So um like I didn’t see the dog anymore so I went to the where I threw the Frisbee, it was probably like all moist and gross. When I found the damp disk it was next to a brown chunky mass, I squealed and fell; I cut myself on the way down, oh god I hope it doesn’t pus! So I returned home to sleep on the couch and learned to love myself despite abandoning my dog.

How’d I do?

@Dark_Stalker You are awesome. Thanks for the laugh, mate.

@TSSL I’m not sure if you’re talking to me, but if you are, I think you’ve misunderstood me. I have no problem with the term cis, I even identify as cis occasionally. If someone screeches, “Die cis scum!” and more than likely expects cis people to respect them, that’s what I dislike. In that context, I dislike the term cis not because it could hurt someone’s feelings or offend them, but because it’s a double standard. As for non-trans, if that’s what someone wants to be called then I have no problem with respecting that.

More on topic: Rogue when you mean rouge and rouge when you mean rogue. Rouge rogues are fine though and I’m surprised nobody has named a nail polish or lipstick color rogue rouge.

@Dark_Stalker That was great, here have this soggy cake. :cake:

moist cake

Thank you

That’s fair. I didn’t realize you were referring specifically to that. I would also object to use of the term as an insult. (I would object to insulting people for things beyond their control in general :unamused:)

I’ve seen people object to the term “cis” in general, so I interpreted your complaint as one of those, and was defending the term on general principles. I am glad to know this is not what you were saying :slight_smile:

the word “lit” puts a frown on my face. especially with the fire emoji. actually all these black people twitter words give me an headache for some reason

I also don’t like the word lust