Which words do you like/dislike?

Pus.

I hate surgery, I hate wounds, I can’t ever watch any kind of medical drama or vet shows because I will feel nauseous at the sight of them. (Fine with move action sequences, because my mind filters out the violence and such as fake since it’s almost always highly unrealistic, but film surgery? Nope, nope nope nope nope nope.)

So the word pus really makes me gag and wince. I can’t stand wounds.

I hate the word throat.

And sore throats.

A severely runny nose is enough, dammit!

… Did I mention I hate the word, allergies, as well?

Adaptation. When it is used incorrectly. I.e: Joe adapted to his cold environment by growing a thick coat of hair. That acclimatization not adaptation, mate

well, it is in some way…here is a definition from Cortana…

The special characteristics that enable plants and animals to be successful in a particular environment are called adaptations. Camouflage, as in a toad’s ability to blend in with its surroundings, is a common example of an adaptation.

and here is acclimatization

Acclimatization or acclimatisation (also called acclimation or acclimatation) is the process in which an individual organism adjusts to a change in its environment (such as a change in altitude, temperature, humidity, photoperiod, or pH), allowing it to maintain performance across a range of environmental conditions.

so they are technically the same, one just has more letters…do you want me to count them just to be sure?

I have to stand up in defense of “moist.” This isn’t the first time I’ve witnessed rampant “moist-abuse,” and I can’t stay silent any longer. Sure it might sound a little funny, but whether it’s moist earth in my garden, moist cake for desert, or moist lips to kiss…moist is a good thing.

Better than “damp.” Damp basements, damp towels, damp clothes…nobody likes those things…

Damp Swamps!!! full of mosquitos!!!

Come on…let’s have three cheers for moist!!

The difference is that adaptation works over generations and on a population scale. Individuals acclimatize, population/species adapt. Adaptation leads to evolution, acclimatization leads to…Well that one individual being more comfortable in it’s environment. From the toad’s example, the toad didn’t developed camouflage after it was born. Toad’s camouflage is an adaptation of it’s species, acquired through multiple generations

I hate ridiculous use of acronyms. Which you see you like the plague in the military combined with the military slang it’s like this weird bastardization of your native language. When you have your higher-ups try to explain things to you you think this is going to kill yourself that is the awkward situation most people are too embarrassed to ask what does any of the a acronym means.

I don’t like the word “implications”, as in “ethical implications”. It’s such a weasel word that a lot of people use when they want to sound deep and philosophical, but it comes off as pretentious and unsure. Just say what ethical concern you have, don’t hide behind vague “implications”. Another word that has been diluted is “problematic”.

“Guesstimate” and “purported”, because those words once got stuck in my head and annoyed me for a whole day. I had to google them to make sure they’re real words, because they sound so stupid.

“Literally”, because it has started to mean “figuratively”.

“Towards”, because I overuse it in my writing. Everything’s always moving towards something. New rule: 1 “towards”, 1 electric shock.

I like the word “moist”. I think it’s a good word that sounds like what it describes. I’ve heard that people who associate it with bodily functions hate it, while people who associate it with you-know-what :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: are usually fine with it.

This. There’s no excuse to say “orbs”.

I hate “solution” too. I’ve started to call businesses that have too vague descriptions of their services on their website, “solution businesses”, because it seems like businesses say they offer solutions when they don’t even know what they’re supposed to be doing.

Off-topic:

I like watching real surgery videos, but I hate violence in movies :laughing: I believe the makers of movies use artistic lisence to make gore look MORE realistic and gruesome than real life.

Actually like ethical implications do you have a bias I am in ethics class right now.

Yeah it’s a hot buzzword lately.

It just annoys me when people say things like “let’s get together and solution the problem.” The word you’re looking for is solve!

The worst is that everyone knows it’s incorrect. If we were talking about math, they’d say solve. But because the meeting is about business process, we’re solutioning.

:angry:

Oh snap, you found out about my bias. I’m evil, so I hate ethics :grin:

About the word cis: So, what, would you prefer we be called “non-trans” or something? Referring only to trans people and not-trans people becomes cumbersome and ends up singling trans people out. And “cis” is just the opposite of “trans” in Latin, so the words are direct analogues of each other… “trans” meaning “on the opposite side” and “cis” meaning “on the same side.”

I’ve talked about this before (in one of my first posts on the forum, in fact, and a bit overlong: Writing good characters with marginalized identities), but I’d like to repeat this particular point by analogy:

Or take “Deaf” and “hearing.” Am I going to feel like my identity’s being boxed in as a hearing person because I’m being labeled for my non-deafness? It’s just a useful way to talk about people who aren’t deaf without saying “people who aren’t deaf” all the time.

Simply, it’s not fair to say that only trans people should have a word to describe them.

Of course :joy: All honest learn how ramped both it ethical egotism ethical relativism both individual and cultural. Personally the class got me to fall in love with Kants categorical imperative’s.

This!

When someone says something like “The optics are unfavorable for us on this issue,” I want to strangle them. With my hands!

There aren’t any words in the English language that I absolutely can’t stand; it’s all a matter of context. “Slut”, for example, can either make my teeth grate, or can be a term of endearment/pride. There are other words that, while more obviously derogatory, are necessary to discuss certain issues or history.

“Literally” is another good example. It’s a fine word with a useful meaning. It’s only when people attempt to make it mean “figuratively but more so” that I literally have the urge to punch them in the face.

Well, this stinks, because I am already 240k words deep into my new game, “Moist Orbs: the Solutioning.”

I would guesstimate that it is literally my favorite game :heart_eyes:

The words “male” and “female” generally make me uncomfortable. That’s because they’re so often used to misgender trans people, though.

Other than that, I mostly only dislike words when they sound awkward/are used incorrectly in the context they’re in.

Oh, but one thing that does really annoy the hell out of me is when a character frequently stutters and it’s typed out. As in, all or a lot of the dialogue from that character is like, “O-Oh. W-w-well, I d-don’t kn-know.” It’s a pain to read. I’d rather just be told that a character is stuttering their words. Ex. “Oh. Well, I don’t know,” he stuttered. Of course, this requires making the reader aware that stuttering is a frequent occurrence for the character in question, but, again, it’s a lot less irritating.

Also, it’s not super annoying to me unless it’s done frequently enough, but using all caps or asterisks to emphasize a word/collection of words. Personally, “Which words do you dislike?” looks more…professional? Compared to, “Which words do YOU dislike?” or “Which words do * you * dislike?” (I had to put a space between the asterisks and the word of emphasis because apparently that is also a way to italicize words here😄). Of course some programs don’t actually allow writers to italicize words, but the examples I’m thinking of are pieces written in choicescript.

Those last two aren’t exactly words, but they’re relevant enough😄

Oh and does anyone else just hate it when a written piece uses big words just to sound intellectual? Like, “The gentleman happened upon the conclusion, as a result of the sensation of moisture dampening the outermost layer of his suave garb, that he’d been caught in a drizzle of rain.” As opposed to, “It had started to drizzle, apparent by his dampened coat.” Like…less is more when it comes to that shit.

Edit: After reading over some of the replies on this topic, I remembered that fan fiction has forever ruined the word “member” for me😑

I appreciate the term “literally” being used that way when its purpose is characterization through speech pattern. That way of speaking is often associated with younger or less mature people (as well as shallow, stupid girl stereotype characters). I especially enjoy speech patterns like this being used to subvert expectations! In general, the way someone speaks leads to others making assumptions about them. For example, many readers will automatically assume that a woman character who uses “literally” in this way and the word “like” a lot when she talks is stupid (IRL, too😕). But there are plenty of writers who give a woman character this kind of speech pattern and subvert expectations by making that character super smart.

I’d stick to using it in dialogue in most circumstances, though😄

This sounds like the title of a bad adult romance novel😂