When Twilight Strikes [updated 30/08/2021]

I’m being super friendly with Rylan and grudgingly polite to Blane, but man oh man part of me just wants to keep egging them on to fight :joy::sob:

1 Like

Yessss an update!
All my saves are gone for some reason, oh, well.

1 Like

I am very confused why K hates me :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Good god I love it so much! You did a great job, especially on characters. It looks to be a really excellent book that I’d love to replay a few times!

1 Like

Woohoo awesome update!!! I was so excited when I saw this pop up :grinning:

1 Like

This update was totally worth the wait, love being nice to Rylan

1 Like

Loved the new update :))
Found an error

3 Likes

that’s what multiple playthroughs are for!! do them both: be nice and mean with different hunters. it’s so much fun <3

yeah, sorry about that!! i updated the old files from one through three so it deleted everyone’s saves. i hope you liked the update regardless <3

they hate all humans. don’t take it personally, it’s part of their arc <3

what a wonderful compliment to receive, thank you so much!!

i’m glad!!

aw thank you so much. i’m really happy that you liked it <3

hmm, i ran the tests and played through the chapter myself (choosing the exact choice you have highlighted on your screen) and it goes through? are you playing on an old save perhaps? otherwise i don’t know what the problem is because the code seems to be correct

EDIT: i think i’ve fixed the error. no idea why that part of code was broken to begin with though

7 Likes

I love the update! The plot is starting now and all of the players are coming together, I’m looking forward to interacting with the supernatural groups in the city. I’ve only played through once as a docile Hunter who accepts Rylan, but it’ll be fun to see what happens if I attack.

As always, your writing is amazing. I found one typo in the opening chapter after selecting ‘I go to work early’.

The new chapter was awesome! I already said that on tumblr but it’s hard not to repeat mysefl!

I was ENTRANCED by Rylan’s “PoV”! I don’t even plan on doing their romance, but my hunter was very friendly and open minded, and so that scene was so sweet! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Now I can’t wait for K and Blane to warm up to the hunter a bit.

I had one coding/continuity error in my playthrough:

So, that page:

My MC’s the one who talked, so Rylan should have listnened to MC’s heartbeat and determined MC’s not lying, instead of A.

1 Like

I’m just confused since they seem to hate me specifically and I can’t figure out where I was rude to them :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

thank you for the kind words!! the attack options were a blast to write so definitely play through them! i’ve also fixed the typo you caught <3

yay i’m glad!! i cannot wait to start adding in more pov scenes; they really help to understand the characters more. i’ve fixed the coding error btw. just a little thing i forgot. thanks for pointing it out!

if you didn’t get the “collecting hunters like stray cats” line then you were likely rude when talking about/directly to them in the past. however, i did find one choice where i associated a rude marker for k instead of nothing, seeing as it reads as more indifferent than anything, so i assume you chose that one and wound up being hated by them. i’ll fix it when i have time!

9 Likes

Ah, I finally found out where the rudeness point came from! I can stop being confused now. :slightly_smiling_face: (Didn’t realize they could be angry about something I said when they weren’t present, but then again, they are a warlock.)

Just to be clear, I have no problem with the fact that happened, it’s just the not-knowing-what-I-did that was driving me crazy!

1 Like

Wow the drama goes up a level with each update (in a good way!) I think this update really brought out the different personalities of the various characters. There wasn’t a single point where I felt anyone was out of character, and even the conversations felt natural. Like I just feel it’s really difficult to manage 4-5 personalities in a single conversation, but it was done really well here!

Just one typo:

There’s a line break between the quote and dialogue.

Seems pretty great so far and the characters have real motivations that are plausible and realistic for their own characters archs. Some archetypes, obviously, but all are thought beyond the basics of their trope, which is a big plus.
Even the MC has a pretty good range of reactions and reasoning behind it, which is great.
Writing quality is pretty good too and the titles and all that look pretty slick.
Might have had typos, but I didn’t see any in my two quick playthroughs.
Also glad to see a sex repulsed character, being that myself. Not many are written correctly, so hoping it will be done right (which seems to be heading in that direction, so cheers)

Keeping an eye out for your project mate, good luck with the coding process lol

My question is this mainly:
Would there be more neutral/aloof/not pissed/agreeable reactions at Blane when he’s being pissed off ? (Mainly, but with everyone in general since he’s obviously the main rival, so more headbutts with him)

Cuz personally I would ignore (saw some options for that though, so thanks!), not care about being insulted, be (somewhat) friendly or even agree with him on some points without having to act somewhat pissed off at him.

The mat thing in the gym comes to mind, I would personally just shrug and say ‘‘sure/ok’’ and go somwhere else. (Altough him wanting to fight might not make sense in this scenario, I imagine. But it could cut the scenario or somthing)

I guess me being schizoid (rather unemotional with any scenarios) does affect a lot my emotional output so I don’t resonate with most of the choices apart from ignoring/being mute, but it’s either funny (or a bit sad) to mostly ignore everyone lol.

Though I guess he is the rival of the character, so it does make sense. (if this was answered and asked already, my bad)

4 Likes

All of this. The feelings involved without the background context makes every rude word, and negative response from Blane seem shallow, and one-sided. It’s certainly not mutual from my MC’s end. :upside_down_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Oh, this is interesting! I always found this game had a pretty decent balance where MC can act pissed off at Blane, but also try and be nicer or simlpy ignore them. I mean, there is even a hidden counter to being either nice or rude!

As far as I’m concerned, I don’t have any issue with the options presented in choices - at first I was a bit bothered by the lack of a shy “flirt” reaction during that training room scene, but that was added.

With that being said, while I love enemies to lovers scenarios, I’m not into rivals to lovers. I LOVE Blane so this is probably the only rivals to lovers situation in IF that I’m fine with. One thing I kind of wish for would be the ability to choose what MC thinks about their relationship with Blane when Blane first appears. Or, to be more specific, that line: “Fellow hunter. My rival. Our nemesis.
I would have loved to have the prompt starting with “Fellow hunter…”, and then for the player to finish the sentence with either the line from the text as it is (“My rival. Our nemesis.”) or with something like “My unrequited (on their side) rival.”. :rofl:
But this is really just me disliking rival mechanics, to be honest. So let’s say it’s my headcanon that my MC actually thinks that.

The story IS set around the fact there is a rivalry going on, so sure, while I would wish it could be more easily dampened, at least from MC’s side, this is one of the core elements of the relationship and I can only “negate” it so much. It would be strange if I begged the author to change the whole dynamic :sweat_smile:

By the way, I’m not implying you’re asking for that eh! It’s just that your comment on Blane made me think on that again!

4 Likes

For all any of us know, Blane’s reasons for being obnoxiously determined to provoke the MC into clapping back have a basis that’s potentially very serious, but from the MC’s pov it seemed to not be a big deal. Things irl can break down like that fairly frequently, with one person viewing something as more serious than another person might.

Rather than calling Blane out, being able to brush it off until Blane finally decides to share why they dislike the MC so much would be the way at least a few of us would want to play that character development arc. I know I don’t tolerate people being pissy at me without a legitimate reason; they’ll be ignored until they can act like an adult.

6 Likes

oof i know you said you didn’t have a problem with this but i realize how dumb it is now that you’ve pointed it out so i took the point off there. so now, if you do a new playthrough they shouldn’t be as hostile towards you <3

thank you so much for the kind words! super happy that you enjoyed <3
(i’ll fix the typo when i have time btw, thanks for the catch!)

8 Likes

thank you!! all the ros are based on tropes for sure, but it’s nice to hear that they don’t come off as (super) cliché. i try my hardest to make sure they seem real rather than an archetype or mould to fill.

i’m asexual and sex-repulsed myself so i will one hundred percent make sure that aspect of Blane’s character is written correctly. that goes for K’s demisexuality, A’s ADHD and etc. as well. i know how important this is to people and how harmful it can be if done wrong.

hmm i’ll look into adding more stoic/aloof options when talking to Blane. it didn’t really occur to me that people might not care that they’re being insulted but that’s a biased opinion on my side. it really helps to have feedback like this!

as for the training room thing, i don’t think it really makes sense to give Blane the mat because as you said, it’d cut the scene short. i understand wanting to talk to them (even for the short amount you get before the fight) but the whole point of being there is to fight someone.

i’ll think about this actually. i believe that you can interpret the line to mean that it’s a one-sided rivalry, but i do see why it comes off like it’s reciprocated from the hunter’s side as well.

but the insults are shallow, ha. the background will come later and only then will you have a choice to decide whether you can forgive/accept/understand them or whatnot, but without context, i definitely agree that everything comes off a certain way. especially if you’re not fighting back.

this is good to know! i’ll keep your comment in mind for when i write future choices for responses to Blane.

11 Likes