When the Center Held: The Rescue of the American Presidency

Last chapter was quite good. I especially liked that you have the option to try and save South Vietnam, and how it’s much more difficult to handle than a planned withdrawal or the other foreign negotiations.

Aside from some needed grammar and redaction improvement, the chapter is great. Good work!

4 Likes

Thanks for the new chapter. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, would it be possible to implement a save function, so the reader can more easily test different routes without having to restart?

Cheers, keep up the great work.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah the entire game is going to definitely need to go through a long revising and editing process.

That’s an interesting idea, let me go lookup how to do that and see if I can’t get it implemented and pushed with the next chapter.

2 Likes

The save system is enabled and should be working let me know if their are any issues with it.

2 Likes

So how many laws will we have the option to get passed in total in this game when it’s finished? 4?

Knowing will help with prioritizing.

Their will be 2 congressional sessions and you will get a base 2 laws to pass each time. If Baker is VP he will provide you with an additional law each session and you will theoretically be able to pass a law in every area. Assuming of course, your successful in getting it passed.

1 Like

My Ford managed to institute universal healthcare and start diversifying American energy in his first session of Congress. That alone would’ve made him a top 10 president ever.

6 Likes

Oh man think about it if it’s actually happened… Gerald Ford the president who revolutionised the US healthcare system :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

Not truly universal in my run, as of course the big role for private insurance stays but my Ford did manage to add what Obama never could, a truly public option for the least fortunate.

Still I suspect that even under this system by the 2010 prescription drug costs will still have risen to the near out of control levels, so there is still some work for future successors to do. But, yeah, getting the moderate Republicans, Ford and Anderson to do what Obama never could and pass the damn public option does feel good.

4 Likes

Hey to anyone following this, Chapter 6 is done and updated and seems to all be working right. I unfortunately decided to start a major code rewrite of the stats before I went through the trouble of making sure it was working so let me know if you find any errors. Gameplay wise it’s also pretty similar to the diplomacy sections with a bit more of a day to day focus to it so let me know what you think there. Aside from that thanks for playing!

6 Likes

Yay, I’ll read it now. Thanks mate.

Edit: Another great chapter. : )

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Can’t wait to play it.

My biggest complaint is that I have to pardon Nixon, but okay. I get that you want to tackle that early challenge. I enjoyed passing the laws that I did in the first session. The international crisis events were a little harder, and I completely failed 2/4. That’s pretty understandable.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity which two did you fail at and did you feel it was unfair or did you understand why?

I failed at the Vietnam one, which did surprise me. I went for a moderate aid package, which I thought would work since it was kind of a compromise and I’d been succeeding at compromises and certainly had the budget for the aid (my laws in the first session had lowered taxes and reduced deficit). So yeah, that one I’m not sure why.

The other I failed was the Arab issue, which I was kinda guessing on.

1 Like

You failed because no one in Congress actually wants to help South Viet Nam. So choose the option to go for the lowest amount and then tell Saigon to withdraw to their most defensive positions. And South Viet Nam will survive, albeit smaller.

4 Likes

stsword more or less explained why you didn’t succeed on Vietnam already, but just to add on to that your domestic stats don’t really matter for the foreign policy stuff it’s primarily just about picking the right choices.

As for this I’m not really sure how to fix, I tried to make sure to provide enough historical context that the player would be able to make an informed decision but maybe I haven’t. Let me put it on the list for rewrites and maybe I can expand some of the information given to the player without turning into a historical documentary.

2 Likes

That is kind of a shame. Out of curiosity, do foreign policy decisions affect domestic stats? Money has to come from somewhere, after all.

And just to make sure, governance style still matters, right?

1 Like

It’ll affect your approval rating and it’ll affect your primary and election campaign when I get them implemented and their is some crossover in other places. But no the US your looking at is pretty much just before factory flight hit and organized labor would die. So it’s internal economic woes, while having some effect on other country’s, aren’t as important from a foreign policy perspective. It’s foreign policy is more important from the perspective of acting as a counter to the Soviet Union in the Cold War and potentially winning it.

Yeah for everything domestic it’s still important it just doesn’t have as much bearing on how foreign policy is conducted.

1 Like