I’ve begun to work on a new game When the Center Held: The Rescue of the American Presidency. In it, you play a TBD entity affecting the Ford administration in the 895 days of his presidency.
In the game you’ll be able to:
- Heal an injured America after the disaster of Watergate and Nixon’s economic policy.
- Pass legislation to address the issues facing the Nation or change the very fabric of American existence with broad reaching policy like Universal Healthcare or the full employment act.
- Rebuild a shattered Republican party and define what Conservatism will mean to Americans for generations to come.
- Conduct diplomacy in the late Cold War and continue your predecessors work to thaw the tensions.
- Campaign for reelection and maybe even win.
- Intro - Done (may consider adding a way to skip)
- Presser, Veep & Briefings - Done
- Pardon of Nixon - Done
- 1975 First congressional session - Done
- 1975 First diplomatic efforts - 4/6 negotiations done -Should cover his trip to Russia and work on SALT treaties with Brezhnev as well as efforts to get more aid to south Vietnam through congress and finally his work dealing with the Turkish invasion of Cyprus as well as the ongoing Arab-Israeli conflict
- Crisis - Mayaguez ship incident
- 1976 Second congressional session - Same as before work through the democratic congress to pass laws to improve the country also deal with potential swine flu pandemic
- Primary campaign - This saw him entering the lame duck period of his presidency and will involve campaigning in the primary and defending dente with your conservative base who want someone more hawkish like Reagan.
- Crisis - Panmunjom axe beheading incident
- Reelection campaign - following Fords efforts to get reelected against Jimmy Carter
- Ending and assessment - A writeup on how you did as president and the results of the election and your policies on America
Feedback I’m looking for:
- Historical mistakes I’m using Wikipedia and what I remember from a book I read a few months ago on the Ford presidency with a similar name to the title I probably made mistakes and feel free to correct me
- Grammatical errors or odd sentence structure just let me know I’m not a professional writer so I’m happy to correct
- Coding errors will be common and plentiful.
- Feedback on options you would like to select.
- Feedback on game structure or difficulty I’m using 1’s and 0’s for the Stat’s so just let me know if it’s impossible to balance the budget when I get laws implemented.
Aside from that, Thanks for Playing!
To play the demo, go here: https://dashingdon.com/play/ahunter/when-the-center-held-the-rescue-of-the-american-presidency/mygame/
Edit: Grammar & Formatting
6/27/2021: Game is still pretty broken and probably all of the grammar could use a editors red pen but the first chapter is finished although bugs abound.
6/28/2021: The first three chapters are done and the 4th is in progress lots of little changes to way code and structure of game also implemented to make easier to code.
7/15/2021: The 4th chapter is done and to an extent so is the 7th as a result.
7/28/2021:Bug fixes and tweaks and other miscellany.