What's your opinion on a farming game?

Sow you’re saying you didn’t mean to plant the seeds of the pun tree so that we can fowl out of it and hit every branch on the way down? You know we lactose willpower skills. I would say that was a porcine of your intent. Good gracious gallinaceous! I can’t wait to take a gander at your demo when it comes out! Till then, I wool have to be content to think of some puns worthy of everyone’s shear delight.

1 Like

@Lycanthromorphic Funny you should mention “sow” and “seed” here. “Sowing of Seeds” is what I choose as the title. :grin:

1 Like

If we can have this, I would love to have tractors(?) to shorten time spans and that we need to keep them in check. Or a market where we can buy things and I hope we can buy different kinds of seeds. (like wheat or carrots.) Or, if we have animals that we need to keep them healthy. If you dont know how I mean it its like the NDS game Farm Life.

Sounds like an idea… Hmm…

I think I’ll name the tractor model “Nadin 2011” because 2000 is too used in model names. How many things get 2000(3000, 4000, etc) in their name? Too many. But 2011? Unique and busting out of the box. Just like this tractor! Or, well, in this case, from under the tarp… Hopefully it doesn’t go all Maximum Overdrive on us.

1 Like

Do you have ideas on how we can work on our farm?

What do you mean by how you can work on the farm?

I mean what we can decide, like if we want to plant seeds, what kind of seeds, look after our animals etc. And if there is a passing of time (like, morning, midday, afternoon, evening)

If it is a Stardew Valley type of game, of course

Oh, yeah. Definitely. Youll be able to do anything that you can in farming games. I just hope I can blend it well enough into text.

As for time passing, this is kind of decided on, but it may need refining. Also, tending to your field/animals won’t take the whole “early morning” or whenever you do it. There will be a set amount time it takes depending on what and how much/many plants/animals their are.

5am - 8am (Early Morning)
8am - 11am (Mid Morning)
11am - 2pm (Mid Day)
2pm - 5pm (Early Evening)
5pm - 8pm (Evening)
8pm - 11pm (Early Night)
11pm - 5am (Late Night)

Such as you first start the game and get to where you can finally plant the starter seeds. It’s 8am. First you need to clear enough of the field of rocks, wood, and weeds to plant them. Say it’s 6 seeds you have. It would take 15 game minutes to clear it, so you finish clearing a spot at 8:15am. Now you need to till the field(I’m debating if I should include formations, like rows, squares, etc… would anybody like that included?), so you till 6 spots for your six seeds. That takes 10 minutes(who knew the ground would be so tough!), so now it’s 8:25am. Now you plant and water the seeds, that takes 5 minutes and now the time is 8:30am.

Same with animals. The more you have, the longer it takes(but you can always leave to go do something else and come back, no penalty as long as it’s the same day).

And the reason I classified the times into groups is mainly for scenes with characters. Say you go to town mid morning(after planting and watering your seeds), you get a scene with one of the villagers with arms full of groceries (you just gonna watch or help?), or you go into the woods to forage earling evening and accidently see another villager spying on someone else.

1 Like

Thats sounds great and, how about, if you decide to do that, you lock certain seeds to certain types of fields (like rows for tomatoes and squares for wheats), or if you level up your farming skills(if you want to include that) you can plant more complicated seeds, like for tomatoes you will need level 8 for farming compared to level 2 for wheat. And a fun way to make it more interesting would be to win prizes for your vegetables/animals. (Sorry I dont remember the word for such a contest.)

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. I’ll have to see about that.

Also, yeah, there will be contests and festivals. Also, depending on what you choose, you will have a main rival for it. If you pick a inn, you will be rivals with the inn thats in town. If you pick ranch, you’re main rival will be the other ranch that you might just happen to have gotten your animals from(won’t it be fantastic if you beat them?).

(8 hours later…)

Wow, I forgot to post this. :flushed:

1 Like

Do you have a list of seeds and animals that you want to include in the game?

Not a hard list yet. I’ve got cows, chickens, and horses in my head. If there are any animals anyone would like to see in the game, just go ahead and post it here. I can’t guarantee I’ll use all of them as farm animals, though.

And seeds will include quite a bit, from turnips to trees. I haven’t gotten around to that list, either. So, if there are any seeds you want to see in game, feel free to post it here! I’ll see what I can do.

I think sheep would be a good addition for animals!

1 Like

For animals: pigs, sheep, lamas, goats.
For seeds: wheat, tomatoes, soy beans, carrots, onions.

2 Likes

Sorry for the lack in update. It was quite the week at work. Anyway…

I’ve been working on the animal and crop list, doing some research to try and get stuff right as to what season stuff should be planted/harvested, but I don’t know how realistic I’ll make it for everything. I don’t want to make things too complicated with coding, so things will probably be more on the simple side of when to plant and when they can be harvested.

What I have so far:

Animals

Wool:
Alpaca
Angora Goat
Sheep
Llama

Milk:
Cow
Camel
Goat

Eggs:
Chicken
Ostrich
Emu

Fresh Water Pond:
Prawn
Crayfish
Fish

Misc.:
Pig(finds truffles)
Horse(get to places faster, saddlebags for extra storage)

There is also a secret animal you will be able to find in winter. I may add more then one special animal. :wink:

Crops

Spring:
Broccoli
Soybean(Fall harvest)
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Collard
Peas
Onion(Fall harvest)
Kale
Kohlrabi
Garlic
Leeks
Mustard greens
Parsley
Radish
Spinach
Turnip
Wheat(Fall harvest)

Summer:
Beans
Corn
Cucumber
Eggplant
Gourds
Melons
Watermelons
Okra
Peppers
Pumpkins
Southern peas
Summer squash
Sweet potatoes
Tomatoes

Fall:
Beets
Carrot
Cauliflower
Celery
Cabbage
Endive
Potatoes
Onion(Spring harvest)
Lettuce
Salad greens
Radicchio
Rutabaga
Salsify
Swiss chard
Winter Wheat(Summer harvest, plant before winter)

Winter:

Misc.:
Grass(plant and grow in any season except winter, harvest for hay, starts growing again after winter)
Weed(can throw in compost bin to make compost)

Greenhouse(only):
Vanilla bean

There will also be more special crops with specific conditions to grow and harvest that aren’t on this list(vanilla bean is one of those special crops).

Note that these lists are not complete and subject to change as I learn more or more suggestions/requests are made. Most crops are harvested the same season they’re planted in, unless stated otherwise. Some will produce once, some daily, others may even have a regrow timer(like grass).

What are some trees you’d like to be able to plant in your field? Does anyone want to have an area specifically for planting trees besides their field?

5 Likes

Yes, how about we could buy an additional space on our farm that functions as an orchard?
And for the kinds of trees:
Apples
Pears
Peaches
Lemons(For the glasshouse, maybe :thinking:)
Cherries
Olives
Litschi(?)
Oranges
Walnuts
Noble Chestnut

Does that mean we can plant a special kind of weed?:smirk:

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll definitely include those as well as being able to buy additions to your farm(or whatever else you choose) so you can expand.

Well, that will be for the super secret hidden deep in the woods green house. Don’t want any nosey neighbors finding it or taking some samples. :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

You are referring to lychee? =)

@Outrageous
I notice all the seeds to be used and that would be a lot. From your list, I spotted some discrepancies but I based this from the Story of Seasons games but I did check some of it as well.

Spring
Broccoli- Winter Crop
Onion*- Summer Crop

Summer
Cucumber - Spring Crop
Eggplant - Fall Crop
Sweet Potatoes - Fall Crop (If you’re referring to cassava, it is a summer crop)

Fall
Cabbage - Spring
Potatoes - Spring
Onion* - Summer

I noticed that there’s different type of onions that you could plant throughout the year. Chives for Spring, Bulbing Onions for Summer, Leeks for Fall and Winter. And there’s scallions (could be planted throughout the growing season), shallots (planted in Fall) and walking onions.

I got this off Onions across the Seasons: Succession Planting with Related Crops | Hachette Book Group

Also, how realistic are you going to be in terms of the months involved? Same as real life (12 months) or divide it into four like in Story of Seasons?

1 Like

Yeah, the information posted here on that came mostly from here and I read a few other web pages from different sites that didn’t quite have the same thoughts. I’ll definitely be doing more research into that before making a finalized list of crops and their respective seasons.

The onions in spring and fall that I put there will actually be what you mentioned, chives, shallots and the like. There is also a hardier Japanese onion that can grow in colder temperatures that I saw somewhere.

As for months, I haven’t decided yet on that fully. It might be easier to have just 4 months, each one representing a different season or do somewhere in the halfway range between 4 and 12.

1 Like