What's up with the emojis?

There was a bug in the code that was leaking custom emojis from other instances of Discourse. :flushed:

4 Likes

“They” were infecting us … :fearful:

2 Likes
1 Like

I have noticed that, at least as far as I’m seeing, a lot of older posts from before the problem have the 3D versions of the icons now. Not that this is as significant, but it is curious.

Can you link to an example?

I noticed it on the Zombie Exodus Safe Haven thread. From what I’ve seen, it’s the case with all posts before a certain point. I don’t know if it’s displaying that way for other people.

Scrolling through, looks like the first affected post is here:

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/zombie-exodus-safe-haven-live-discussion-feedback-characters/21491/12

1 Like

Yep looks like all of older emojis, including the ones from way back in the 2011 threads have been changed to the 3D variety.

But… that would imply that other people chose those emojis…

5 Likes

Don’t blame me :stuck_out_tongue: 20xchar.

2 Likes

blame? blame who about what now? the emojis are just a glitch aren’t they?

Okay, so they seem to be working now (:wink: :blush: :cry: :angry:), but quite a few older posts on other threads are still showing the 3d (and even rectangular) emojis.

1 Like

Maybe…hmmm…we should still have some of the older Emojis? I mean, some of them are cool.

The old posts are gradually converting to the new style. That ZE:SH post has already converted.

1 Like

Thank you. At least someone has my back :smile:

It’s not my fault you were conveniently available :sweat_smile:

Has this happened again? It’s less jarring… some emojis look almost the same, maybe exactly the same… but some are strikingly changed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: looks rather creepier, :flushed: looks less flushed, and then some, like the :spider: and :dog2: and :space_invader: are pretty well entirely different. So has there been another mix up?

1 Like

Those eyes are adorable… :flushed:

Edit: Aw… they added some cute new ones. :two_men_holding_hands::couplekiss_man_man::family_man_man_boy: I think whatever emojis our forum is subscribed to might’ve gotten an update. The issue before was that we were pulling another forum’s emojis, I think?

2 Likes

I think that was the issue, yeah. If it’s just an update this time, that’s a relief, anyway, though I’m still disappointed that the :spider: no longer has a face :’(
And some will just make old posts look a little weird, like :imp: didn’t used to frown (was more of a :smiley: )

(The gay couple emojis were there before, [I used them a lot] but some looked very very different… the kiss, for example, they were more in profile, had black hair, and were more stylized, I guess you’d say. Looks like some are new, though… I don’t remember a :rofl:, and I remember Tom being disappointed at the lack of :butterfly:, so that’s new…)

2 Likes

It was my default “evil grin” emoji, and now it’s just a :rage: with horns… :cry: Now I have to use this one instead… :smiling_imp:

Well, I guess it’s not all bad… Plus there’s a :nauseated_face: now, plus a whole lot more flags (:st_vincent_grenadines: :antigua_barbuda: :st_lucia: :barbados: :st_kitts_nevis: :puerto_rico: :bahamas: :cuba: :jamaica: :bermuda: :cayman_islands: :british_virgin_islands: :us_virgin_islands: :haiti: :dominica: :dominican_republic: :trinidad_tobago: :grenada: :montserrat: :anguilla: :aruba: :curacao: :sint_maarten: :martinique: – that’s pretty much the entire Caribbean, and there are many more), including partially disputed stuff like :palestinian_territories: and :taiwan:! Still no highly disputed stuff like :abkhazia: or :somaliland:, though.

2 Likes

Okay, looks like update is confirmed! Emoji v2 bug reports - bug - Discourse Meta

I like all the new emojis… I’m just a little weirded out by all the changes to the old emojis. (It’s also funny to look back at old posts, which seem rather inconsistently changed.) :grinning: now has about the same mouth as :smiley:, for examples, so their connotations are gonna be pretty altered now. :persevere: now looks much less determined. :sweat:… not sure what the deal is here, but it definitely means something different than it used to.

On the other hand, it’s nice how many emojis now have different gender options that didn’t previously. We can now get a male version of :dancing_men:, and have a :prince: as well as a :princess:… meanwhile, women can be :running_woman: and :swimming_woman: as well.

Following the link, it also looks like some of the emojis can come in different skintones, too, like :prince:t6::dancer:t4:… etc.

2 Likes