What Should I Write? [Closed]

I guess I just wanted to do an impassioned speech to sway voters, but it was a little too late :sweat_smile:

This sounds like an opportunity for really interesting ecology, and I’m quite taken with the design concept for the seraphim :smile: in that case, though, I think you’d definitely want a longer time frame than two million years—it’s not really enough time for much to evolve. Like, our ancestors two million years ago were not quite human, but very recognizably human-like :thinking: Unless you want to play with genetic engineering, which could speed things up.

It would also take less time if you do a less total reset, like say you eliminate most of the land life, but leave some oceanic survivors… then you might get a different sort of fish with a different number of fins recolonizing the land, so you’d still get vertebrates but with a larger number of limbs :grin: You still might want a hundred millions years for that, but it wouldn’t be as big a development.
(And that could also mean different sorts of trees and beasts having to evolve from scratch, as you describe, so it would all fit together, really :thinking:)

But yeah, hope your writing goes well! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, Earth went through many different stages of life, such as the arthropods, the reptiles, and the mammals. I’ll probably just say that the mammals rose to dominance to begin with which is why it was rather quick. Also I already feel I’m pushing it with 2 million since how tf are humans finding so many habitable planets???

1 Like

Sure, but those still took many millions of years. There’s a lot of steps involved—just getting onto the land takes at least several million years, getting into trees, developing flight, all several million years too… there’s a reason the world two million years ago was very recognizable.

This is also why a partial extinction would save some time :smile: it took hundreds of millions of years to get animals :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s also the route of, say, having had scientists engineer some ancestral species before leaving Earth… like they could’ve come up with feathery flying monkeys, say :thinking: and then it would only take a couple million years to develop intelligence out of those.

Oh, I don’t think that’d be pushing it too much :slight_smile: the Milky Way is big. If space travel is slow, that’ll contribute—Milky Way’s 100,000 light years across. Plus there’s something like a few hundred billion stars in the galaxy, so even if they’re only settling, say, one thousandth of them, and they settle one every year, that’ll take hundreds of millions of years. They’re not likely to run out that quickly :thinking: (unless there’s aliens taking up the rest of the area, I suppose.)

So I’d think there’d be a couple different approaches that could get you exactly the look and effect you want, without straining anything :smile:

2 Likes

If you started from microscopic life again, then indeed, it will take > 2m years before dinosaurs even appeared. I don’t recall the exact numbers, but youtube channel PBS Eons has videos about primordial ages. Check 'em out!

Sounds like an awesome guy to have around…

This is assuming that humans have achieved FTL flight and planets capable of supporting land life are extremely rare, but hey, I guess I can change 2 million to 200-400 million. Along with that, the extinction could exclude zooplankton and other microorganisms, just to skip a few hundred million.

I think there’s a problem; I can’t seem to be able to cast my vote. I press the button, yet nothing happens. Anyways, my favorite genres are medieval fantasy and futuristic sci-fi, the latter preferably with a superhero theme.

1 Like

Oh, I had closed it. I decided on the High School one, sorry about that! :sweat_smile: