What repels you from trying a game when reading a description?

Most of us realize that a quality summary and description of a game is important. That’s what drives us to decide “Yeah, I want to try this.” and then either being glad we did or disappointed and misled about the fun we we’re going to have playing it. The topic isn’t about the quality of a game itself, but rather bad explanations of it that make you want to pass over a game instead of trying it. Naturally, I will start with my own personal distaste for a way too frequent scenario.

As an avid rpg junkie who has journeyed to the farthest reaches of consoles and computers to play them, no matter how obscure, there is still a very particular and incredibly common situation that will make me outright skip even trying a game that I’m on the fence about because when I see these two special no-no words, I know that it’s going to be generic as all hell.

“Mysterious Girl.”

Those two itty bitty little words. When put together, it becomes the most efficient warding defense against me being willing to even play game for five minutes because I will expect literally nothing from it to make it stand out from all the other rpgs with boys who save villages and have mysterious girls as companions. More often than not, they are most likely a princess or related to the big bad. And guess what? I’ve beaten that rpg already. Like nine hundred times. I don’t care. It doesn’t give me a reason to care. All it does is actively push me AWAY from even touching it.

Yet, it’s entirely possible that the game in question might have in fact been good. I wouldn’t know. Because I couldn’t even be urged to play it. There was no motivation or desire too, since nothing made it stand apart from anything else that I’ve already played. I’ve slain all the dragons and demon lords. Rescued princesses. I already know the king turns out to be evil all along. For me, “Mysterious girl with strange powers” is not a hook. I’ve seen way too many of them already.

So, I’m curious if anyone else has anything special to them that when they are on the fence of trying a game and reading a description, they ultimately decide not to play it because they read something about it that they don’t like.

Anything that states or implies a time limit makes me wary. I don’t like to be rushed.

What truly repels me from trying a game out is if the description is far too vague to explain the overall plot.

Another what turns me away from trying (and this is one of the biggest issues on this forum) is if they mention “gender locked roles”. Yeah, it isn’t exactly fair to all of the players that could be forced to play outside of their comfortable zone, no thanks.

I rarely read description…

yeah sorry! I only check the gated gender if any , and the romances if avaible . And dive in the demo . If I like it…I watch for it . if I don’t like it…I skip it all .

well another thing that can turn me off , would be if its a management game . Like that rebel game…its good . It is So good…but to me , it crippled with manage this and that…kinda kill the fun . So if its a full ‘Manage your kingdom! become Queen or King! Send soldier on patrol’’ …urghhhh…no thanx . I dont like doing that in a game with visual…unless its a strategy game and I only like those…cose I’m building only !

I’d typically look for indications that the book is adult in some regard. Not sexual or violent, but simply a mature and thoughtful exploration of its subject matter.

There is a huge variety of target demographics between different ChoiceScript books, so my primary investigation is usually oriented around ensuring it’s not a book aimed purely at teens. It’s really fun to be accidentally / incidentally educated or challenged whilst enjoying a narrative.

Now that’s mature.

There are lots of words that instantly kill my interest in a game.

“Online-only”
“Battle Royale”
“Anthem”

The big one though is “he.”

When the description refers to the protagonist of the game as male and only male I move right on. Occasionally I’ll come back if I hear amazing positive reviews, but only rarely.

I would give a hundred thumbs-up for this if I could. A lot of companies have tried to require being online especially on PC (glares at Uplay)…for a game that really doesn’t require it. Then they wonder why people circumvent their precious DRM.

Heh, showing my age here since for me this is only a game mode…

Others have covered a lot of stuff I dislike, but the other big one for me is “Season Pass”. Originally, I was actually fine with DLC…I mean, buying expansions was much the same thing. Then they started to remove content…and wanting people to buy it sight unseen!

Now, there are games with more than one Season Pass…eyes DoA 6

Or Origin! glare at Origin who doesn’t let you play , unless you update the shitty thing!

Off-site, I don’t think I’ve read descriptions in ages. I don’t touch multiplayer-only games, and go by third party reviews/descriptions.

On site, condescension is the only thing that’s turned me off to the point where I didn’t even try the demo.

General pet peeve is the “Vague for the sake of dramatic” writing. The whole portentous tone thing. You have this and three chapters to tell me what the heck I’m doing. If I don’t know by the end of that period I’m not gonna buy it.

Other than that, as long as it’s well written and lets me know the gender-options and if there’s romance, I’m fine with whatever.

Now I want to write a story about a masked superhero named Mysterious Girl.

Even the mere suggestion that the protagonist is some lone wolf power fantasy piece of garbage like some chosen one.

If it’s registered as a parody though I may let that slide.

It’s part of why I look for stuff with parallel protagonists instead of a singular one even if they come with a crew.

There aren’t many turnoffs for me but one does come to mind.

“The Chosen one.”

Sometimes it can be done correctly but it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It makes me feel like I did nothing and everything was handed on a silver platter. It isn’t automatically bad, and you can turn it on its head for a unique spin, but I prefer just being an ordinary person who rose to the challenge.

For me: gender-locked and management games like rule a town, a castle, a kingdom, a political position… meh :slightly_frowning_face:

I think dropping too much specific names and terms in the game description makes me lose interest faster. Something that goes you’re the [name] officer in a [name] kingdom your job is to capture [name] [name] using your special skill called [name] like pls I only have 3 braincells left I can’t process all these names :joy:

A messy summery will be repelling.

a game should have great summary.
good summary will give an objective outline of the whole piece of writing

thats my opinion tho.

Same!

My big turn-offs tend to be identity based, though. I want to play my own gender. If there’s romance in the game and it’s not optional, I want to be able to be queer. If there are women in the game (and there had better be), I don’t want to be looking at character designs made to titilate straight men: boob windows, boob armor, camera angles that linger on the butt or the chest, etc. I play games to escape the toxic world I live in, and I’m just not interested in escaping into even more toxic garbage.

That said, even games with male protagonists that aren’t toxic still aren’t especially interesting or comfortable to me? I bought the Witcher 3 and played it for a week, but I just couldn’t get past playing Geralt. I wanted to be Ciri. Or literally any female character. The stories were interesting, but I felt what I can only describe as something a little shy of dysphoria? Just a general sense of wrongness that constantly pushed me out of the game and made me feel uncomfortable.

“gender-locked” especially for “historical accuracy” reasons. i’m far more sympathetic towards writers who admit they aren’t comfortable or don’t think they could do a decent enough job writing from other identity perspectives, but it still turns me off. the historical whatever type justification just reads as a lack of creativity to me at best and a convenient excuse for laziness at worst. like, my favorite original character to play these games with is a gay man, sometimes I only play games once with just him, and still if I see that it’s genderlocked to male, I lose all interest.

I’m also turned off by management games. i think it’s a personal preference as I don’t really like that style in other gaming formats, either? but specifically in the interactive fiction format, I think they very easily get tedious. If I’m grinding at a FPS and looting or whatever, that’s one thing, but if I’m grinding in a game that is all text it’s just like… where is the fun, am I supposed to be having fun

Let’s see, don’t like sports games, save for ones where I can fight.

Don’t like strictly racers.

Don’t like management games.

Needlessly online game, I bought Brink and didn’t have internet at the time so I couldn’t play for months.

I generally dislike not being able to create my own character, though that’s just me being picky because I’m poor.

Oh and in rpgs I dislike locked classes. So the phrase “choose one of of x classes”

lol i’m now realizing that i maybe could have elaborated on other games.

It’s not really anything to do with descriptions, but I will say that I tend to ignore almost all AAA titles these days. Corporate greed and neo-capitalism is destroying the artistic integrity of a lot of well-loved franchises and gaming companies, so the moment I see like EA or some other major brand attached to something, I tend to lose interest. There’s just far too much emphasis on often overpriced DLC that incorporates features that should be part of base games or like paywalls and lootboxes and UGH do these companies realize there is a global financial crisis among the middle and lower class right now?? I am BROKE, I can’t afford to get invested in a game that’s gonna cost me $50+ now and then $400 down the road, no thx!!