What is with the Vampire lore?

I recently found (to my surprise) that the lore of vampires is mostly wrong in that vampires don’t die from sunlight (and before you all comment about Mr.Sparkles) I found this out from reading the original Dracula that Drac would not die from sunlight but only lose his powers from it. also I have found that Vampires don’t necessarily need to drink blood per se ( at least in Dracula’s case) they would only get older and older. plus I have found that Vampires have lost that ability to transform in to wolves (at least in most mainstream media). Finally when did Vampires get so darn easy to kill before they needed to be first decapitated then a stake threw the heart. ( I say stake as a loose term because basically any thing would do threw the heart)then finally their mouth would be stuffed with garlic then buried. why do you think that the Vampire has become so much weaker? and why would you think they would take to tradition or steps out of the killing process? I would love to see what you think in the comments below. and as a side note to anyone who has any corrections from the post above or disagrees with it I would like to see your comments/corrections too.

@BloodDemon That’s modern culture for you. In the span of a couple of generations they’ve gone from something that nightmares are made of, to basically a sex symbol. It boggles the mind.

Everybody is wrong, and everybody is right, nobody has probably ever met a vampire, they probably dont even exist so if you say they have laser eyes, who is tgere to say it is wrong if they havent seen one!

“I found this out from reading the original Dracula that Drac would not die from sunlight but only lose his powers from it.”

In Dracula’s case, the way he loses his powers isn’t quite the same as Superman when near Kryptonite.

“also I have found that Vampires don’t necessarily need to drink blood per se ( at least in Dracula’s case) they would only get older and older.”

It’s both less exciting if they drank milk instead and people seem obsessed with youthfulness these days.

“plus I have found that Vampires have lost that ability to transform in to wolves (at least in most mainstream media).”

Vampires are frequently portrayed as rivals to werewolves, so it be confusing if vampires could become wolves themselves.

“Finally when did Vampires get so darn easy to kill before they needed to be first decapitated then a stake threw the heart. ( I say stake as a loose term because basically any thing would do threw the heart)then finally their mouth would be stuffed with garlic then buried.”

That lengthy way of killing a vampire for sure in the older lore is probably why they’ve been nerfed.

Anyone who watches South Park ought to find amusement when someone mentions vampires and the phrase “per se” in the same sentence. :slight_smile: Hehehe.

Haven’t really got much constructive to say though, I know it varies from culture to culture.

It is us Slavs who invented vampires. They used to be dead people who would come back to life and haunt villages. They weren’t handsome and sophisticated, they were evil savage killers. Even Dracula, who we usually think of as the true vampire, is different than what a vampire originally was.

@BloodDemon Different countries have different legends about vampires, and give them quite a wide range of characteristics. The vampires we’re used to seeing in fiction today are drawn from a mixture of influences.

As you say, there was overlap with folklore about werewolves (the Rumania pricolici are a good example of this, if you’re interested) but also with witches, demons and evil spirits. Historically, people often didn’t see these as distinct classes of supernatural beings.

It might be interesting to use a variety of world vampires in a CoG game about supernatural hunters.

My favourite type of vampires are the ones portrayed in Brian Lumley’s Necroscope series and its spinoffs.

I agree with Nocturnal_Stillness. Brian Lumley ruined (in a good way) vampires forever for me.

Personally, I’m a fan of the Japanese schoolgirl type of vampires myself. Tsukihime ftw! :smiley:

@stainedofmind

Most certainly I had nightmares of the Wamphyri.

I’m so glad this wasn’t something about sparkling vampires.

you have it right on how to kill them mostly. stake, beheading, & garlic, only 1 slight modification, they were either buried face down or upside down because if they were to survive the above mentioned it would confuse them & they would dig down & deeper instead of up & out

I’ve always been a fan of the classic Bram Stoker iteration, but like others have said, vampires are ultimately a mythological creature and therefore open to interpretation. Even Stephenie Meyer’s take is valid. (Even if unorthodox.)

For instance, everyone’s talking up Guillermo del Toro’s new novel-turned-television show “The Strain,” which is another reinterpretation of vampires. I haven’t read the books, but according to Wikipedia vampirism is contracted through tiny parasitic worms.

(Which is just as weird as Meyer’s creatures “sparkling in the sunlight,” when you get down to it. The difference is that people love Guillermo del Toro.)

Different cultures have different definition or description of lore’s, so technically nothing is right or wrong. Still the sparkling glittering vampire was weird, but I always thought vampires were ugly nasty smelly creatures.

@Nocturnal_Stillness
Allegedly, a Necroscope movie is in the works. It’ll either be the greatest thing ever, or the biggest disappointment ever.

@stainedofmind

Yeah I heard about that and I totally agree.

Our Vampires Are Different! Your Vampires Suck!