Hey guys, it’s me again with my last of my three main projects! I’ve waited on adding this one here given the current climate and until I had a decent enough size of content, but I’m adding it now: welcome to What Comes After, a horror game set in an Infected Apocalypse…
(BIG WARNING: if current events in the world have you stressed, this will likely make it worse as it features it’s own pandemic. This wasn’t intentional as I’ve had this idea since before I even knew Covid existed; it’s a very unfortunate case of coincidence.)
Blurb under the cut:
In What Comes After, you play as one of the only two survivors of a town swooped down upon by the CDC for purposes not entirely told to you… except that many of the townspeople were sick from an on-going illness stretching worldwide and they wanted to work on a treatment or cure. Main word being were and wanted.
After your escape, you are left to scramble to understand what has happened during your imprisonment, leaving you at a disadvantage to other survivors… though, thankfully, you find some mercy in the beginning. However… will you show the same mercy to others along your journey? What will you do when faced with hard decisions that, sometimes, you may have no real say in? Your decisions and choices matter. They affect those of your group in various ways, and sometimes… they may even mean their doom.
But not everything has to be heavy and drowning, even in an apocalypse where those not Infected stand in the disadvantage. Your friends will have your back if you have theirs. Some may even grow to see you as more, and be willing to trust you in a world where everyone is learning quickly that trust should not be taken lightly nor given easily… It’s all in your hands. What will you do?
If this peaks your interest, you can find the current demo here! It is currently encompassing up to Chapter 3, is roughly 28,000 words (without code), and each playthrough is about 18,700 words. Some areas don’t have many choices while others have a lot; this is due to it being a rough project still only in its early stages. Once the first draft of the game is completed (or over time) more options will be added, especially once the demo is fully finished!
- Blood and violence
- Intense situations
- Graphic depictions of scenes that may disturb you (including rotting bodies and what they entail)
- Maggots (small mention)
(If you have one you want added, PLEASE let me know!)
- Gender has been left rather open to this point, pronouns has been the only thing added. (I will put more options for those in later!)
- There are six romance options, two of which can flip their genders as you want while four are set. They can be romanced by any gender.
- Your choices and decisions in this book will effect later ones as well as this one! I wanted a lot of continuity as I really loved the TWD games but wanted so much more; thusly, this is my way of getting that!
- The characters will notice what you do and don’t do! They will also take into account what you tell them and how you handle situations.
- Fight scenes will differ depending on your weapon.
- Skills will be added eventually and they will help influence what you can do on your own and what you will need help with.
- A complex system of how Infected are created, how they evolve, and mayhaps even “types” of humans… who have immunities.
(More to be added eventually.)
Thanks for giving me some of your time! Hope y’all enjoy it! This game was majorly inspired by The Stand and The Walking Dead games, with the Infected being influenced by L4D2 and somewhat Last of Us (haven’t played but the Infected were really cool!)