What are some of your CYOA quirks?

I, too, suffer from extreme NPC guilt. :sweat_smile: I can never be evil, I feel too bad, even in a fictional world. If I pick a mean choice accidentally because I misread the tone or it had unintended consequences, I will often reset (or reload if itā€™s an RPG or something).

2 Likes

One time, when I was replaying Mass Effect 2, I told myself, ā€œIā€™m gonna play Renegade Shepherd!ā€

It was a terrible idea because no matter how I like delude myself into thinking how much of a bad bitch I am, deep down Iā€™m the kind of person the sets spiders free in my garden instead of killing it. That I said I surprised myself by handling the choices and outcomes fairly well, at leastā€¦untilā€¦

I donā€™t even remember the mission anymore. All I remember is the screen prompt for a Renegade option came up while I was talking to some guy in a cutscene. I pressed it, and frickinā€™ Shep shoots the guy through a window to his death.

I was s t u n n e d.

Literally, literally all Garrus had to say to make me delete that save file and restart as a Paragon!Shep was say, ā€œWas that really necessary?ā€

ā€œNo, no it was not Garrus!ā€ [deletes file]

2 Likes

If given the choice of an NPCā€™s gender, I always make them the same gender as my PC.

My quirks would include

• I usually prefer agility over strength
  • I always play a straight woman/girl
  • I always play only one or two playthrough with some restarts, one type of character and other ROs donā€™t interest me. But it might change when TWC comes out.
  • My MCs are becoming more pragmatic. I canā€™t seem to play a straight out evil MC.

I always ALWAYS play a goody goody. I canā€™t be mean unless I just really donā€™t like the character. I couldnā€™t play a totally evil character.

I always try to make every NPC like me. I donā€™t know why. I easily get attached and I want to please everyone even if itā€™s hard (looks at Dragon Age)

In COGs I like to play charming and stealth types but in other games I like to play tanks, at least for first play throughs.

3 Likes

I always default to male, rational characters. I heavily favor pragmatic and calculated personalities and chaotic neutral characters, and I find it incredibly difficult to try playing as the altruistic and reckless protagonist.

1 Like

This is actually kind of why I hated the Paragon vs Renegade system in ME1-3 because even though I would be generally playing a good person, clearly thereā€™s times Iā€™m going to be an ass for some reason, and the games often seemed to punish you for not opting for one over the other. For example not having enough paragon points for resisting Mordin in ME2 (likely because I was acting more renegade to get into her graces) or not resolving the fight between Jack and Miranda (which meant I had to side with the latter and piss poor Jack off).

But ultimately, I try to be a good person. Which is going to make playing Vampyr SUPER tricky with all those poor innocent people and me as a good Doctor now being a hungry Vampire and having to decide if Iā€™m justified killing any of them to sate that hunger and deal with those I consider ā€˜bad peopleā€™ in my own way. Curse be the choice.

My first play through is almost always a charming female character with strength as the lowest attribute. I usually choose in-game provided names since my naming sense is bad. Though if I need to type out my name, I use Morgan as the male name and my real name as the female name. I tend to restart a lot in my first play through when I think I made a bad choice so my first play through takes quite a time. I stopped playing safe in the latter play throughs however, switching genders and choosing possibly the worst choices just to see what will happen. I sometimes forget which gender I selected in the start after a half dozen playthroughs, talking with my love interest about babies until I realized in my wedding when some of my relatives didnā€™t come because itā€™s a gay marriage that weā€™re both guys. My evilness depends on the game. I sent a lot of NPCs to their deaths in Choice of Romance series but canā€™t hurt Samyru and Jon of Way Walkers, and Cazarosta and Elson in Sabres and Guns of Infinity.