What a Brilliant Existence! (NOW ON TALES!)

:pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

Iā€™mā€¦not sure, honestly? Youā€™ll be allowed to keep your options open for at least the entirety of Part One (which will be five chapters long; Iā€™ll update the main post here explaining how thatā€™s gonna go soon). Iā€™m still studying the idea of casual dating, which would allow you to date more than one RO at once for a while, until one of them (or all of them!) eventually puts your back against the wall. If weā€™re talking poly, honestly, the only couple I could see agreeing to that would be Max/MC/Dani, but weā€™ll see. Iā€™m not used to writing polyamorous relationships, so Iā€™m also not sure how that would go; itā€™s an idea.

:zipper_mouth_face:

8 Likes

I havenā€™t had the time to playthrough the update but iā€™m so excited :pleading_face: i love syd so much i might combust

3 Likes

I love the new update. It really makes you look forward to more

3 Likes

Loved the demo. Always enjoy playing a quiet anxious character with secrets. Would it be possible to be more neutral or even negative about some of the characters? The MC is always so positive about starting a friendship and being around some of the other characters and I donā€™t get the option to skip talking to them or having the MC say no to hanging out with them. Other then that, I liked the game and am looking forward to the next update.

2 Likes

Iā€™m having a bit of trouble with that, honestly. The thing is, one way or the other the MC is going to become friends with each character, because thatā€™s just the way the story is supposed to go. I know being forced
like this isnā€™t everyoneā€™s cup of tea, but itā€™s the way I prefer writing.

Still, I want these relationships to feel more natural, and you are right that the MC is receptive to all friendships right off the bat. Iā€™m still struggling with a more distant, standoffish MC who will still end up becoming friends with everyone, but it is something I want to work on.

Hope this clears some things up!

23 Likes

We have a Discord now! It was made very recently, but weā€™ve already got a few members. Iā€™ve never used Discord before, but I thought this could be a fun idea. I hope to see you there :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Hey guys! Just popping by to wish everyone a (slightly late) happy New Year. May 2020 be a much better year than 2019 (and, hopefully, the year I finish WaBE)! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

26 Likes

I am quite enjoying this. Only now heading to the Golden Goose but I like so far the supernatural aspects seem like frosting on a coping with abuse story cake. Like I know eventually weā€™ll be the chosen one etc etc. But for now the whole Dealing with Trauma and PTSD isthe most compelling part to me. I could play a whole game around the premise. I might even have my MC go back to her abuser because she believes she deserves it. I love ANGST :blush:

4 Likes

Wow I love itā€¦i felt for my character and her mom.but I love alex and dani .keep up the good work and I canā€™t wait to spend time with Alex at the party

1 Like

You might be pleased to learn that I donā€™t plan on having any sort of
ā€œchosen oneā€ trope anywhere in WaBE, then. :wink: Iā€™m not a big fan of it, and besides, this game is more slice of life than anything else; it wonā€™t be that much greater in scope besides the MCā€™s own personal world.

Thank you both! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Hehe this must be what itā€™s like to play Lillie from Pokemon if she never met the player.

Edit: Assuming Celeste isnā€™t dead will there be an option to return to her?

Edit 2: could use an option to leave without talking to anyone instead of talking to everyone. Also an option of getting to no no one better. Even if we donā€™t actually have a choice and have to go to the party anyway.

I fall in love with this WIP and your characters are so well written I just love it :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:love itā€‹:two_hearts::two_hearts:love it. Reeeealy looking forward to read full version. And can I compliment you way of creating MC? Because they so human, not just puppet without feels and emotions like in other WIP. Too much choices for creating MC personality isnā€™t my cup of tea :tea: because of this I canā€™t enjoy many games. And yeah Alex is my sunshine :sunny: :two_hearts::two_hearts: little late but Happy New Year :heart: :tada::tada:

3 Likes

Celeste is alive, yes, but I highly doubt Iā€™d write this type of choice in. Itā€™s just not that kind of game. :slight_smile:

Yeah, Iā€™ve talked about this before. Here:

6 Likes

Hmmm Iā€™m still cautiously optimistic about being able to be a paranoid pessimist with self loathing and depression issues.

1 Like

It was surprisingly detailed. Honestly i wasnt expecting much from a slice of life genre. But you pulled it of with a grace that i couldnt imagine. So there you go i liked it quite a bit. A little more fine tuning should make it into a really interesting game.

3 Likes

In hindsight you should definitely write the story the way you want it to go which I assume is An abused introvert with no friends slowly opens up and becomes mentally healthy and gets better and a happy ending. And then after you finish maybe go back and add the angsty ā€œSome people canā€™t be saved from themselvesā€ route. Writing depression can make you depressed which can cause writerā€™s block. So definitely finish writing it your way first before considering anything else. If you get writerā€™s block doing a depression route you can make an nonstandard game over or remove it entirely and still have a finished game to publish.

3 Likes

Thank you! I agree, there is a a lot of editing to be done, which Iā€™ll probably get around to before I start writing the second part of the game. Iā€™m also hoping that, by then, my audience will have grown a bit more (although itā€™s partly my fault - Iā€™m much more active on Tumblr than in here) so I can get even more helpful feedback and constructive criticism like yours. :slight_smile:

That is an idea Iā€™ve toyed with before, actually. Iā€™ll keep it in mind :wink:

12 Likes

ahh the good ole self destructive path. The only good decision, is a Bad decision.

4 Likes

Angst gives me life.

Edit: How I headcanon my character is sheā€™s been broken by the abuse from Celeste so much so she thinks thatā€™s love. Therefore the only person who has a chance of stopping her from going back to Celeste at the first opportunity like an addict relapsing. Is if she finds someone like Celeste someone dominant possibly with a bit of an Bitch side. Perhaps they donā€™t wield Celesteā€™s ā€œwhipā€ but they know how to hold a leash. All the characters so far have come across as too kind and sweet. Even Max lightens up around us. So right now in my headcanon sheā€™d return to celeste but who knows what the future holds.

6 Likes

I havenā€™t much to say beyond the fact that I found the demo to be nothing short of delightful. From its characters to its writing, What a Brilliant Existence! as it stands has done an outstanding job at capturing and holding onto my attention; and the story is certainly engaging to the point that Iā€™m eager to see where itā€™ll go.

Itā€™s also niceā€”in an oddly relaxing wayā€”to be able to play a game that is on the slower side of things pacing wise in addition to being low stakes. Nevertheless, the game does possess an apparent depth, which doubtless will continue to make itself known further as the plot progresses.

So please do keep writing. As stated before, I really look forward to seeing where youā€™ll take the story! :slight_smile:

9 Likes