The Wayhaven Chronicles General Discussion (SPOILER FREE FOR BOOK THREE!)

Guys. He has blood dripping from his mouth and his eyes are glowing red. That…that’s like two (2) literal red flags. This man will murder you. This is tooooo bad boy.

Bad boy on steroids.

5 Likes

So? We give M a free pass and they’re also pretty dang sketchy and will slowly kill you with second hand smoke.

12 Likes

We just have to accept the fact that @Mewsly and @rose-court love their bad boys. XD

We can’t fight true love… I guess?

6 Likes

I suppose. @Mewsly is right that M is sketchy too though. Tbh, if I saw them in public I’d leave the area. Don’t trust people who lurk in corners!

I do want to add that “So?” in a response to “he will murder you” is the funniest thing I’ve today.

3 Likes

I mean, to be fair, he does want the MC alive. He if did kill them it would be accidental manslaughter, not murder!

6 Likes

You have got me laughing so hard I’m almost crying. He wants them alive–how romantic. I really do love the conversation we have here.

4 Likes

I want the record to show that accidental manslaughter is much more romantic than murder!

also don’t actually date assholes like Murphy, children, that’s my PSA as a responsible adult

But, yeah, OTHER villains might not be nearly as gentlemanly as Murphy so we should appreciate him while we can!

9 Likes

Nope, Murphy is the worst. To hell with him. He broke the number one rule: don’t hurt my precious vampires :rage:

13 Likes

‘Gentlemenly’ villains are the ones that people should be most afraid of. They are patient to the point of playing a long game to get the results they want (by any means necessary). And I doubt he’d be the last supernatural to attempt a gentlemanly facade to get the Detective’s blood (though I don’t really see Murphy as much of a gentleman and he was not as cunning and smart as he clearly thought he was). :sweat_smile:

Lupin would personally describe the the mad scientist vampire as ‘cowardly ass’. Meanwhile, Noah is a very simple person and sees him as ‘creep’. :laughing:

5 Likes

He straight up grabs the detective’s wrist at one point when he’s pretending to be a normal human. Not gentlemanly at all–you know what? I think that’s why I found him so disturbing. That scene just gave me Bad Vibes.

5 Likes

EVERYTHING about Murphy screamed ‘bad vibes’ in general (even while barely pretending to be a gentleman). He clearly was mostly relying on his pheromones to do most of the work for him (highly doubt any sane human with self-preservation would ever go near him unless he used his vampire skills). But when it was clear the Detective had the immunity, he threw most pretenses out the window to get a bit of their blood. The Detective MC themselves also clearly note there was something off and creepy about him when they mention the encounter to Unit Bravo.

Of course, this was obviously the intended response Murphy’s actions was supposed to create. XD

And yeah, the grabbing part in particular riled up Noah’s fight mode due to them being highly sensitive to touch (that vampire is lucky that Rebecca taught her child ‘no, you cannot give people a thrashing solely because they are creepy. Only if they try to hurt you’). Even Lupin got agitated with being touched by the invasive stranger (and I see him as someone who deals better with people than Noah).

6 Likes

That psycho, among other things, murdered a teenage kid without any remorse, leaving a mutilated corpse in the streets. Made a mother bury her child, in a closed casket. And for what reason? Just to fuck with agency?

I’m sorry if I sound harsh, but in my book that “gentleman” is nothing but pure scum with no redeemable qualities whatsoever. Hope that cage is comfy enough for your tastes, doc!

Jesus, just how mad that guy makes me feel sometimes :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure we can all agree that Murphy is a irredeemable scumbag.No one’s really trying to highlight any of the traits he has as ‘good’ in any way (heck, the guy has made some major blunders in his pursuit of those like Detective MC, so he kind of stinks at his attempt at being a villainous genius). But I’m certain that Detective MC is going to run into villains even worse than Murphy.

Funnily enough, that line about how mad he makes you feel are my exact feelings toward Bobby themselves :laughing: (especially when I play as Lupin, since Bobby is his ex. Can’t wait for Nat or Manson to completely show him up :grin:).

2 Likes

Look.

Am I saying that Murphy is a good guy who someone should want to be with? F*ck no. Am I saying that he is a well written character, a compelling antagonist, and the fact that he wears a suit, compliments the MC, and can be nice to them make him an interesting combination of “gentleman villian,” “mad scientist,” and “pysho”? I am saying that. Yes. Of course he’s a terrible person but he’s the villian, he has to be morally gray at best.

And, darn it, maybe some people’s fantasy is to have sexy vampires fighting over them because they don’t feel desirable in real life so don’t take that away from me… I mean… those hypothetical people… ha ha…

9 Likes

Ok, I was nodding along in fascination with with the first paragraph. And then I got to this part and legit just tilted my head like a bewildered dog. :joy:

Jokes aside, Murphy definitely was a engaging villain for a number of reasons (which makes me curious about how the others will be). He’s also just that kind of guy that will more often trigger a ‘NOPE’ response as well (even if he’s being swooned over in a joking manner). :laughing:

I get where you and @rose-court are coming from either way. Just that I’m one of those ‘NOPE’ people in response to Murphy. Especially because he reminds me of Bobby too much. :laughing:

2 Likes

YRRHlpE_d

my husband

Of course I don’t mean that literally.

Murphy is a mass murderer I don’t know if he would count as psychotic or sociopathic as he seems marginally capable of empathy with a Detective who didn’t struggle, but that’s not my point, nothing changes that. He’s killed not just men, but women and children too in the pursuit of his goal, it’s abhorrent.

But damn it, can’t I just appreciate a well-made villain?
No one bats an eye if I say I think Darth Vader is a cool villain who I found hot (when played by Hayden Christiansen), no one that I’ve met thinks it’s reflective of my moral character or a flaw in my judgement to appreciate him, why should appreciating Murphy be any different?

let me drool over my hot villains, damn it

7 Likes

He does? How so? :thinking: I mean, they are both selfish but that’s the one similarity I really see.

Yes! Let us enjoy our fictional villains, darn it! You can’t enjoy real life ones, after all!

4 Likes

Guys, we respect each other’s taste. I mean, I am no different since I have a crush with Loki. I can’t really judge. :joy:

4 Likes

It’s their tenacity to achieve their goals by whatever means they can and the overfamiliarly toward the Detective MC that makes me think they are quite alike at their core. Naturally, the dividing point is that Bobby Isn’t homicidal in their pursuit for a scoop (definitely an antagonist for a good deal of Detectives, but not a outright villain like Murphy), but I could easily see them using vampire skills that Murphy (the ones used for manipulation) in a similar manner if meant they could achieve their goals faster and easier. Which kind of makes me wonder how fine that line Bobby toes would be if they really did have access to those skills.

Of course, that’s just how I view Bobby and Murphy.

3 Likes

You aren’t alone. My first villain crush was Darth Vader, and it just kept going from there. It takes a certain type of villain to get to me, though. Vader, Loki, Spike (pre-chip and pre-soul) on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dexter on Dexter, Benedict Cumberbatch’s Kahn (OMG!), Hans Gruber (Die Hard)… I could totally keep going, but have to go be alone now…

A few more I just had to add:
Kylo Ren, Bane, and David from the movie The Guest (seriously, watch that movie if you haven’t and behold the awesomeness that is Dan Stevens!!)

2 Likes