Visual Novels

So there have been sprinkles of visual novels here and there, they seem like a cool and interesting idea on how to portray the novel. I for one am supportive of this idea. But what do you, the amazing forum think?

I dont understand what are you asking niyat kitty? I’m not like visual otome novels in general because except some cases all is romance without guion brainless princess and pure discrimination against women.
Probably because I play the japanaises where woman are only flowers waiting for a man who choose them and the settings and guion are the same. graphics are cool but I only center in guion so not for me. If some one do one no center in sweet coated emo teens and do a story I read it

Visual novels?
Are you talking about “graphic novels” aka “comics”?

@loelet @MaraJade No, check it out at Blood for Poppies . It’s a new program that Farside is trying out.

Troll, I think it has advantages and disadvantages to it.

One, if a visual novel has bad or non-high quality graphics, even if the story is amazing, I probably will not play it. The images in a visual novel take the place of most descriptive text and you’ll be staring at them a lot. So if they are low quality, it can be a turn-off, since most of what you end up reading is dialog. An image is worth a thousand words, they say.

I have always wanted to be an artist, but for me, I would not be able to draw a scene with the quality that I could paint it for you with words, and so my efforts would be much limited by attempting the medium.

Also, your scope can be restricted by the amount of images you have, i.e. locations you bring the the player to, minor characters, etc. So their focus tends to be a lot tighter than a text game because of having to draw the backgrounds. Also, when you create character slides, they tend to only have three variations for a main character: neutral, happy/blushing or sad, which by the end of the game, can be tiring to look at.

Now that I’ve ragged on it…

Visual novel games are fun, and are also more often considered acceptable as a ‘game,’ than a text one. They have music and can have voice acting, and are more mainstream. This also means they tend to cost more money, which can be a plus and minus. And more often they can contain RPG elements.

I’d say you could ‘do’ more with them in terms of options.

The fact that you have visuals instead of describing everything in text is a quicker way to get through a specific scene, even if you have to restrict the location.

So just my ‘quick’ thoughts on it. I love both CYOA and visual novels. :slight_smile:

Personally, I’m not so sure if visual novels are really “novels”. A novel is an extended fictional work in prose; usually in the form of a story, according to one dictionary, anyway. So, if visual novels present their stories in pictures or moving pictures, it will be more of a movie than a book.

I’m not sure if anyone else has this way of seeing things, but personally I find that the world within the words hold more of the reality than the real thing. In other words, I find it easier to believe in a world I find in a book than a world I see in a movie, or even the one I’m typing in right now. Maybe I just need a psychiatrist. :smiley:

Anyway, there is less scope for imagination and adaptation in a picture than in words. Words are more difficult to portray beautifully, but when you manage to make the words just right, you create an effect that nothing in this world can match for realism. In short, I prefer using choicescript and beautiful language to tell a story than using a series of moving pictures to tell a story. Pictures don’t have as much flexibility as words.

@Emelisa That’s a great way to look at it, I suppose it might suit some WIPs and maybe some not.

@Wyrmspawn I see where you’re coming from, and maybe that is one of this disadvantages of Visual Novels.

I used to do visual novels (otome games, specifically), but the “expected product” is too limited in scope for my liking. Often, the story takes second place to the graphics, and the gameplay is expected to be very formulaic.

Personally, I’d rather play a game where I can make important choices that shape my character rather than just picking choices that will make xyz character like me more and all of the other choices are “wrong”. It gets worse with dating sims where you just pick your ending by interacting with xyz character more often than doing anything else.

And don’t even get me stared on the “true ending” thing. It’s rediculous to offer a choice in gameplay when the author obviously intended one route to be the way to “win”.

Anyway, I quit with that nonsense after a game I was working on that went way off-formula got some pretty bad feedback due to going off-formula. :frowning:

Choicescript and the CoG audience are really more open for experimenting with game design and making interesting plots and storylines.