The Lawless Ones (Previously "Villains") Completed! (Remake in the Works)

Really awesome game so far, can’t wait to see it finished.

I noticed some minor errors while I was playing. First in the Aristocrat origin where it says your father gives you ten copper pieces but you get fifty.

And then in the mission where you intimidate Mr. Charton, it looks like there’s a grammar error in the third paragraph.

Aside from that everything looked good. One question though, is there any chance we’ll be able to learn magic at some point?

3 Likes

… Maybe. You’ll have to wait and see. :blush:

1 Like

Well, I’ve been thinking about it and I think I’ve come up with an idea that would include education in the game. I’ll try to include a variety of choices, so that the MC wouldn’t necessarily need to become more educated, and could instead study fighting or other useful skills if they preferred. :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing out those bugs. I’ll fix them ASAP.

I’m not planning on having the MC be able to learn any magical abilities. In the world I’m writing, magic is something that an individual would have to be born with an aptitude for, and the MC hasn’t shown any signs of having magical abilities so far.

I am hoping to write another story set in the same world at some point, where the MC is born with an aptitude for magic and taught how to use in in a world where magic isn’t really valued anymore, but at this point I can’t really say whether or not that game will ever happen. :yum:

4 Likes

Why you gotta do this to me, mayne?

Also, another suggestion:

The title “Villains” seems a bit…plain, don’t you think? Some people might like that, but it just doesn’t sit well with me.

I’m not suggesting you make it some super complicated name, but maybe put a bit of sprinkle on it. Like “Villains Of Brass Haven” or maybe “Outlaws Of Brass Haven”.

Alternatively, maybe you could include the ‘Hero’ aspect of the game in the title, and go with “Heroes Or Villains”.

But hey, it’s your game at the end of the day. I’m just throwing suggestions.

Also, Honey is best girl.

And Hotshot is best dude.

7 Likes

Glad to hear it, my mc will of course seek out a real education because it was something his “slavocrat family” sought to deny him and because he isn’t very naturally intimidating or much of a fighter.

Well most “villains” are the heroes of their own narrative, the outside world though would likely view my mc as the villain, after all he escaped his “rightful” place and obligations as a dumb farm animal slave and became something else and to get there well we do earn our new living through a life of crime.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this. I really want my peasant MC to be educated in some way. C:

1 Like

I’m very unsure on the actual title right now. Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll definitely give the title a long think over before I submit the game. (If by some miracle I manage to submit my game to the COG contest in time and it actually managed to win one of the top three spots, I was thinking of requesting the name “Choice of Villains” but that’s getting way too far ahead of myself.) :yum:

2 Likes

That’s definitely what I’m thinking. Even though the MC will have plenty of opportunity do make “good” or “moral” decisions throughout the game, they are still part of an organisation of thieves, assassins and other criminals. As such, they will generally be regarded as a villain by association. :blush:

2 Likes

I very much enjoyed the story for what it is so far, and personally appreciated the fact you had so many interesting backgrounds to choose from. Like the origin stories, the characters themselves were all unique, and the setting only added to their charm. Should this game be published I will most certainly support it, and I also can’t wait for updates.

2 Likes

@Antinomique @Evan_Hebb @justme

Fixed the bugs that were pointed out to me and I’ve made a few, very small edits to the game to try and avoid breaking the immersion. To sum up, the wolf MC demonstrates his ability to speak a little better during the origin story, so that the player isn’t confused when they start forming full sentences. Also the game doesn’t describe Viper as being shorter that the MC. :blush:

1 Like

This is just awesome!

1 Like

Ultimately I hope a can develop my mc into a nice,polite, charming and cultured young man along the lines of these tropes.
In short he wants everything his late father, his half-brother and the rest of biological “family” always tried to deny him.
Again as for what he does to get there and make his living…well “evil prevails”.

1 Like

I want to take over the guild, and make it a private force that works for the king. Can I do that?

2 Likes

Hey, did something happen to the game? For some reason it won’t let me go past the scene where I pick my new name :confused:

1 Like

Just played the demo up to the end of Ch 2. I really enjoy the origin stories. It adds a lot of replayability to the game as it’s not just about the different skills you start with, but also about how and why you went to the city.

The characters are written well and help with the immersion of the MC into the guild.

I look forward to seeing this game develop as your style of writing is great. :smiley:

1 Like

Lol. I could never help myself liking Affable Villains. I mean they usually kill a bunch of innocent people to achieve their own goals, but they’re just so darn charming about it. :yum:

3 Likes

Not exactly, but the monarch might be showing up at some point in the game, I haven’t decided yet. :blush:

@VioletHikari @googsy

Sorry about the bug where you could only reach the end of chapter 3. It seems like every time I fix an old bug, I somehow manage to throw a new bug in. Fixed it now. :blush:

2 Likes

Also, I have yet another suggestion:

Can you wield weapons in this game? And maybe there’ll be a store in which you can buy said weapons?

If that is the case, then I’m going to point out the elephant in the room and suggest claws and/or fangs for the wolf MC.

The way I’m seeing it, they’ll either be wieldbale and can be taken off, or, much like Hotshot and his cybernetic arm, they’ll undergo a surgery where their nails will get turned into metallic claws.

With the fangs, I can only really see the latter.

6 Likes