The Lawless Ones (Previously "Villains") Completed! (Remake in the Works)

She’s a good deal shorter than you though

This might be pedantic, but Viper’s description broke my immersion for a moment, since I was imagining my MC as a very short person, and the game appears to consider them to be of average height at the very least. Perhaps you could either let us decide the MC’s height (and adjust the comparison of heights accordingly), or avoid comparing it to Viper’s, just saying she’s short for her age instead. :slightly_smiling_face:

You suspect the thing worn purely for decoration.

You suspect the thing is worn purely for decoration.

“Can’t be helped really. We’ve got to let the past go to make way for the future.”

“Can’t be helped, (comma) really. We’ve got to let the past go to make way for the future.”

Eventually The Boss himself comes to the crapped little cabin where you and the rest of the children are waiting.

Eventually The Boss himself comes to the cramped little cabin where you and the rest of the children are waiting.
I guess… :sweat_smile:

Why is our age unknown?

You can always use throwaway lines about learning to read, adapting to a different way of life, etc., instead of entire background specific subplots.

All in all, the demo is great and I’m looking forward to more. The descriptions of the city in particular are incredibly vivid, making me feel (as cliched as it sounds), almost as if I’m really there. :grin:

2 Likes

I liked the fact that the mc isn’t a short runt and is at least average there despite their crappy life. Shows we’d have the potential to be above average at least.

True, or you can take a middle option between those two. The old Vendetta play-test by @Vendetta had a nifty way to manage our mc’s chunks of free time (and spend our mc’s hard-earned cash) in-between chapters. Allowing us to do anything from buying cars, clothes and apartments to gaining intel on specific things and investigating the murder of the mc’s sister. For this game if you go that route just add hiring a good tutor to such a list.

3 Likes

Perhaps, but I’d like the MC to have the option to be a short run, nonetheless. :yum:

3 Likes

Yeah, nothing wrong with being able to customize height of the mc, I just don’t want it to go the other way and get forced to be a short runt.

3 Likes

But now a major question is, WHO will you be able to romance? I personally don’t mind spoilers, but you could always blur it out, or message it to me.

3 Likes

Ohhh, this has so much potential! I love how diverse the backgrounds are and how in-depth all the characters already seem! Gotta love the steampunk theme, too. You made it seem really authentic.

The only thing that really irked me is the description of the stats. At times, I have real trouble differenciating between Artful Dodger (Agility?), Sleight of Hand (Dexterity?) and Cloak and Dagger (Stealth?). It breaks the immersion for me.

4 Likes

Also, a suggestion:

When you get to train a certain stat with a gang member, maybe you could also increase your relationship with them by 5 points as well?

5 Likes

I’ll definitely keep that in mind. :blush:

1 Like

That’s true, but the only problem with that is that it means that the aristocrat MC would automatically have an advantage over the others. The way I’ve written it is that each origin story gives the MC a boost in a specific stat, so that they’re all different, but none is better or makes the game easier than the others. It’ll be difficult to include education in the game without making the game easier for the aristocrat MC and more difficult for the slave and wolf. :confounded:

2 Likes

If we join some sort of classes or school ( and the MC shows interest in education ) it won’t matter where they started as they have done the same thing. ( maybe you could add some sort of minor boost for grades for aristocrat MC and wolf MC can buy that boost ( as tuition ) but they still could do that without boost )

2 Likes

I’m not sure, it’s not something I’d given a lot of thought to, but a lot of people have brought it up.

What I’m hoping is that, once the story is finished, I’ll have time to add some extra things to it, (one of which begin more origin specific dialogue choices, so that the player’s original origin choice will have a larger effect on the rest of the game.) :blush:

2 Likes

Oops. I’ll fix that. :confounded:

1 Like

Couldn’t Viper just be an even shorter person? :blush: (I might change that though. I had pictured Viper as being particularly petite, but if the MC is also very short, she wouldn’t be much shorter.)

And thanks for pointing out all of those bugs. I can’t believe that I never noticed the crapped little cabin. :yum:

3 Likes

That is actually a really useful idea. That way the choices wouldn’t necessarily need to have a massive effect on the game and could be more for the player’s own satisfaction. :blush:

2 Likes

At this point I am planning on all of the MCs current peers, (Hotshot, Swift, Viper, Wildcard, Honey and Gadget) to be romance options, but I am planning on adding some more. :blush:

3 Likes

There is a page on the stats screen that describes them in greater detail, if that helps. :blush:

1 Like

Coincidentally, the very first choice in chapter 4 does exactly that. :yum:

I don’t think I want any origin story to have any kind of advantage over the others, but I will definitely have a think about different ways that I can incorporate education into the game.

1 Like

Good enough for me.

Maybe we could run into grown up Cub?

3 Likes

Well I expect aristo mc to have an advantage in education. However all of our mc’s are what 12-13 at the start of the game? That should be plenty of time to develop any mc in the direction we want. So while aristo mc may have an early edge in education and sophistication that isn’t an insurmountable gap for the other backgrounds.

I forgot to add Tin Star uses an almost identical system to manage the mc’s spare time between chapters and unlike Vendetta you can actually look and see it at work in Tin Star and decide if that is something you want to do for this game as well.

As for effects on the game I assume that choosing to improve education helps intelligence and planning, where fighting would obviously help with combat and any character would need to rely on others in areas where they are weak. It’s just I envision my ex-slave mc as silver-tongued trickster with a taste for the finer things in life and for mc satisfaction, as you said getting the best education he can would be a part of that.

Good enough.

1 Like