Vendetta: Rise of a Gangster -- Reinvented

maybe for my political bagman it will be suffice time, but my black hand member will not be happy if he don’t burn down half Hell’s Kitchen and conquer the other, then afterward…maybe he will calm down for the moment.

2 Likes

Will the MC have kids over the course of the story?

1 Like

I think the game only covers a year, so that seems unlikely.

1 Like

I thought the game lasted between 1922-1933?

That 1922-1933 part is referring to when the Prohibition era in America was still in effect. That was also when the mobsters such as Capone, Luciano and many more got their start and became famous for whatever they did.

You know the pool bar that you own by the end of Chapter One? Pretty much a speakeasy so might want to keep that place on the down low from the cops.

4 Likes

Aw crap. Louie, take the “cheap booze” sign down!

replaced with “Cheap Legitimate Beverages”

11 Likes

Well at least you knew before the cops came in to raid the shit out of your bar and possibly kill you for the money.

I’ll call you when I need some help to get out of a… Sticky situation.

2 Likes

On the political bagman path, fundraiser for VP Curtis when the time comes or something, maybe?
For an American Republican the guy was pretty cool and us minorities have got to stick together. Still can’t believe he was the only one of your VP’s (never mind presidents) to have some native blood.
Sadly it’s not the sort of alternate history or political game where we can make the anti-Hoover movement win and even if it was it is already too close to the bubble bursting to do much good. Though with different characters than Hoover and Mellon it might theoretically blunt some of the roughest edges of the Great Depression a tiny bit.

Going with historical persona’s is difficult though, so maybe just go with fictional US Senators for our presumably fictional analogue of New York state at our mansion in the Hamptons analogue at the culmination of the political bagman part, assuming it ever gets an upgrade to primary status of course.

If Vendetta has the stomach for it the post-prohibition era and the rise of such things as Las Vegas as well as the rather different mob and organized crime culture of that period do seem like fodder for a potential future sequel. I remember very long ago that Vendetta was planning on having this game be “rise of a gangster” and having a sequel be “rise of a mob boss”.

6 Likes

I honestly would not mind seeing such a story like this. It would be nice to have a beginning with nothing to our names, working up to what we earn by doing what we chose. Then the sequel ties it all together while our character grows older and possibly wiser (seeing how implusive some people here has said haha) and possibly taking up the Godfather role.

Well I’m all in it just because I want to make people sweat in my office trying to kiss my rings on the day of my daughter’s wedding to a… foolish little man that will burn through my fortune.

3 Likes

As @Eiwynn mentions, many characters are loosely based on historical figures (and there are even one or two derived from other fictional characters in books or movies) and there are no particular plans to deviate much from this. There’s always the possibility of an easter egg or two, though. :wink:

The power of wishful thinking is… overrated. :smiley:

Vendetta’s basic design (firmly revolving around each successive week in the story) means that the game covers just the first few months of your rise as a gangster. Seeing just how far you can actually rise in that time is intended to be the main challenge / aim of “the game behind the story” – for those of us who like to replay these things to death. Your final ‘Total Net Worth’ value is the main stat for this purpose.

As others have mentioned, the original vague plan was for at least one sequel (preferably two – something about “The Vendetta Trilogy” appeals to me :wink: ), along the lines of Rise of a Mob Boss and probably Rise of a Godfather.

Many years later… note my comment above about ‘wishful thinking’. :smiley:

Never say never! One step at a time though. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Ahh … the dread of having a new demo released as the next step. (Didn’t think we saw you sweating did you?) :sweat_drops:

We do believe - @Havenstone showed us that there are pots of gold on the other side of the rainbow … now we are looking for your leprechaun. :rainbow: :ireland: :honey_pot: - or should it be: :gun: :moneybag: :business_suit_levitating:??

:innocent:

11 Likes

Oh, very interesting! I wasn’t around in the forums a lot when the original Vendetta was here, but now that it was reinvented, I feel like giving it a try. Both the prohibition period and the more researched, less fantastical version of the 20s that the author is trying to create are things that I like a lot.

I think I’ll settle in this thread and give some useful feedback. I mean, my role in the forums for some months has basically been to write long-winded essays about varied interests. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The Black widow background kinda sounds like villanelle from killing eve. It would be awesome to play as her, somewhat at least. :laughing::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Me? Sweating? Never! ( :sweat_drops: :fearful: :sweat_drops: )

Much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Not something I’ve seen yet (never seems to be enough hours in the day!) but I’m intrigued enough now to add it my ever-growing list of must watch stuff. Thanks. :smiley:

POLL RESULTS

One week on (well, in an hour or two, at the time of writing) the polls on ‘The Enforcer’ and ‘Private Eye’ would seem to be fairly conclusive.

The Enforcer – 56% think the change in title / role from ‘The Prizefighter’ would be a good idea, compared to 19% who disagree and 25% saying it doesn’t make any real difference to them. Result: The Enforcer it will be, and thanks to @Eiwynn for the idea.

Private Eye – 67% feel that this new title would be more familiar than the previous Ex-Pinkerton title, with 23% disagreeing and just 10% abstaining. It will now be renamed accordingly, with thanks to @justme for the suggestion.

Thanks to everyone who expressed an opinion. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

NEW POLL

One of the key decisions (as in, main branches with consequent effects) made early in the story is the destination you choose to head to after leaving Detective Nick Morello’s apartment – either heading home (in which event you encounter Dino early), going to Chuck’s Place for a ‘stiff one’ (in which case you meet ‘Uncle Luigi’ / Chuck early), or heading to Ma Gioverdi’s Diner for a solid meal (and encounter Vinnie Mangano / the Ginelli Mob first).

I’m presently putting the finishing touches to all the various changes involving those three ‘main route’ choices / subsequent scenes, partly for greater variety and partly for better overall balancing. It would be very useful to me at this point to gather your thoughts and opinion on the way you currently tend to play this section in the old demo currently online, and if you’d care to elaborate on your reason(s) why in a quick post below, that would also be very much appreciated. Many thanks. :slight_smile:

• I prefer to head home / meet Dino Zaganis & crew.
  • I usually go to Chuck’s Place / meet Uncle Luigi (Chuck).
  • I head to Ma Gioverdi’s Diner / meet Vinnie Mangano.
  • I don’t tend to favor one over the other.
  • I haven’t replayed enough to have a real preference.

0 voters

1 Like

With the Gunmoll character are you still planning on making her look like Regina with an option to make her look more or less like her, like I suggested I still think it’s a great way to judge who is guilty or not especially if they aren’t aware Gina had a younger sister. Speaking of which I can’t remember but what is the age difference between the MC and Gina?

5 Likes

I like all the options available and enjoy replaying this part of the old demo.

1 Like

Gina is (or rather, was) six years older than our protagonist – your parents were killed (wrong place, wrong time) when she was thirteen and you were just seven.

Whichever gender you play, there is a similarity in your looks (Louis Campanini actually mentions this in the old demo, when you first go to the pool hall to claim ownership), and if you play as female that similarity is certainly more noticeable and may cause an occasional double-take on the part of those who knew Gina well…

8 Likes

In regards to the poll, I chose “I don’t tend to favour one over the other” as my choice depends on the background that I pick for the vet it’s the diner, for the college student it’s Dino and for the business entrepreneur it’s Chuck. I tend to roll play my backgrounds so if I play another background it depends on how I’m rping that background.

Should note that I’ve been around since early 2012 and I still cruse you for that bloody maze never got to the end of it haha.

6 Likes

Certainly the best approach, once you’ve replayed enough to see the best fit!

In which case, you’ll be absolutely delighted to know that the evil imp who perches on my left shoulder, and constantly whispers in my ear, talked me into keeping The Dreaded Maze in the game… There are, however, other options at that stage allowing you to completely bypass that !&*$^%! thing (although in doing so you miss out on a nice reward and a rare Game Achievement – that imp’s influence, again, I’m afraid).

Incidentally, the Paroled Convict can usually get through the maze with no trouble at all, since at one point he can pick a lock leading to a short-cut through a deserted warehouse!

4 Likes