Velos (WIP) - Demo Update on 4/30/22

The demo is very interesting! I hope there will be more updates soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! I’d like to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I can’t handle compliments. I’m diligently working on the demo and hopefully I’ll be able to post an update on the 20th of this month.

6 Likes

When I clicked the demo link it said it’s currently set to private. The concept sounds really interesting look forward to checking it out when it’s available

1 Like

Hello, I apologize for the trouble. I was (and am still) checking and proofreading different paths in the new update. And I was doing that through dashingdon due to the handy save system. I changed the link to private to prevent readers from playing a faulty demo :sweat_smile: (and also from reading the new updates before the announcement :eyes:)

I will change it back to public very soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello, everyone. It’s been a while (not really :laughing:). Honestly, I planned to post an update on last Valentine’s day but procrastination got the best of me, as well as personal matters. However, I’m glad to present you an update entailing features below.

I have also made a tumblr for the dev blog of Velos, link on the first post. I’m quite new to the scene, but don’t hesitate to shoot out asks or complaints.

Demo Update on 2/20/21

• Current word count is now 56,000 (incl command lines) and 50,000 (excl command lines).

• Location 1 now available.

• Meet up with the white haired student and demand his/her name! And meet a relative (perhaps) of his/hers.

• A new romance option! Befriend, infuriate, or flirt with her.

• Fourth class is now available. Meet a new professor.

• Spy on fate, memories, and perspectives through your dreams. Go through your dorm mate’s room. :eyes:

• Begin to discover a power, or two.

• Investigate, inspect, or report! It might save you or others from future chaos :wink:

Demo on the first post. Have fun reading!

20 Likes

Yay, an update! I’ve been replaying it many times, taking a nap every period and dreaming about the different ROs. It was good!

2 Likes

Awesome, was waiting for it.! Calleome is so mysterious…, it makes me more curious about her.! An amusing interaction with her.I saw some grammar errors.Like in some sentences, pronouns of Calleome were changed like instead of she, it was ‘he’ and in one line, you forgot to wrote the word ‘hand’.I have attached screenshots for reference. Other than that, the shy girl is also a nice addition.Eager for next update :grin: :heart:!

1 Like

Might be just me, but the new words for plain things like years, months, weeks, days, night kind of confuses me. It doesn’t seem to be a specifically cultural thing, just word substitutions. Maybe it is, and it just hasn’t come up yet. But if it isn’t, I’m at a loss to what the point of it is?

An old fantasy setting may refer to years as winters (ex. “He is three winters older than me”) due to how overcoming winters may be a big thing in that era. A fantasy vehicle that bears resemblance to trams may be called something else. In a setting where night is an ordeal, perhaps run amok by demons or lasts an impressively long time, there may be an emphasis by naming it differently. Even in translation, directly translatable words are translated, but ones with deep cultural connotations are left untranslated. But if the concept is essentially the same as what we’re used to, it’d be like calling a pen a frindle for no reason, or leaving a word untranslated for no reason.

I could adapt with time if it weren’t for the italics automatically making me pay extra attention every time the words come up.

Eh, I’m probably honing into something most people aren’t bothered by. Just my thoughts though.

7 Likes

I think those words are linked to the two Gods because how important they are to the world’s lore and their significant effect to the story, maybe I’m wrong but surely we will welcome a solid chunk of lore for world building if the author don’t have any for them

2 Likes

is it possible for a “tanned skin” choice? somewhere between rosy and light brown.

3 Likes

@Sel_Lee Thanks for your feedback! I get a few complaints about the terms, but as @Manaxaggd said, those are related to the two gods and will be further discussed as the game progresses. Although I might have to rethink about this matter :eyes: if the demand increases.

@S.M.Abdullah Thanks for pointing that out!

@rja I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm.

@Mistyleaf123 Sure! Thanks for the suggestion.

6 Likes

Professor Naverisse tho :eyes:

2 Likes

yes yes, i think she seems fishy too

1 Like

Not saying anything about her for now… :eyes:

This WIP left me SO conflicted, to be honest :laughing:
I liked it - like, the story so far seems interesting and some of the characters I’ve seen are really cool, etc.
But I was also very bothered by the stat system, sadly. I guess this is a very stat oriented game so I think I won’t be able to really play a lot since I’m not very fond of these - I prefer RP oriented games. That being said, some specific things bothered me a lot in the stat system.

Still, take that with a grain of salt since stat-focused games are not my jam to begin with!

Basically, my main issue are the attitude stats, weirdly enough.
It bothered me a bit how more often than not two or more of them were affected by a single choice, and I didn’t always think it made sense for these specific stats to go up. An example of that is when the first class starts, and the teacher yells at the MC asking if they want to be standing there, or something. Selecting the answer to get startled and shake their head results in three stats going up: Cautious, Sympathetic and Practical. It’s a lot considering it was a single choice. And well… Cautious, yeah, makes sense. Sympathetic leaves me a bit perplexed but I CAN see the reasoning. But Practical? I don’t get it. Or rather, I don’t understand why should my MC loose idealism because he got scared by a screaming teacher and obeyed her.

Aside from how these stats increase, I’m also surprised by them being a factor in some checks. One instance really stood out to me - when the MC has to go to the first class and has to determine how to find it, if looking alone. My highest stat is charm, so I went with that, and got this outcome: “Your charm is one of your best assets but you are not sympathetic enough to possibly ask someone for directions without scaring them off.”, then the game proceeded to describe how spectacular of a failure that was, with the students getting scared of my MC and running away when he was approaching, like he was some sort of monster. This is extremely… excessive? My MC was in the middle ground between Sympathetic and Indifferent - my stat for that litteraly didn’t move at all from the beginning of the game, at that point. And well, being middle ground shouldn’t grant such a reaction, I believe. Though, if I’m to be perfectly honest, even if my MC was indifferent, I don’t really see why should that affect the check, considering an indifferent person isn’t scary per se, unless they specifically act intimidating. And a sympathetic person could act intimidating too, anyway.
It’s worth mentionning my MC was very nice, open-minded and polite with everyone since the very start, so these reactions to him feel very out of place story-wise too.
But still, that is… somewhat besides the point to begin with, since I don’t really think the attitude stats should influence the charisma check anyway. Especially considering that when I tried with another one of my high stats, Observation (trying to spot other Greens), it worked perfectly well as it is, making it unfair for people who want to use Charm.

I’ll use myself as an example to explain better :laughing:
When I’m not online, I’m a shy loner. I HATE interracting with people and spending time with them, aside from my few friends, and I also get extremely nervous when I have to talk with people I don’t know, to the point of panic sometimes. Yet, I have good “people’s skills” as in, conversational skills, and being pleasant etc. So, once I get over my stress and my distaste, and approach the person I have to talk with, well… People always find me charming and say I have a good way with words etc. Most people who don’t know me well think I’m outgoing and that I like people.
That’s why I’m not fond of games that consider loners or shy people are necessarily bad with people.

Now, as I said, stat-focused games are NOT my jam, and I see I’m not really the right person to judge this game in any way in regards to that - I just wanted to share what elements felt weird to me. I hope I didn’t sound too harsh - sadly, sometimes I may come across as such when I write in English, since it isn’t my language. Rest assured that it wasn’t my intention!

That aside, I’m a bit confused by the terminology, but it’s less of an issue since I ended up memorizing it.
What I mean is that it felt weird to have “fantasy terms” for basic things like days and nights and stuff. Deli and ager make sense, of course, but most of the time related ones… I don’t know if that’s really useful? Weeks, months and years… well… Maybe if in this world they are very different from earth? Like, 10 day “weeks”, 50 day/5 week “months” and 200 day/4 month “years”, for example. Since the durations of each would be so foreign to begin with, it would make more sense for the words used to be different, but that ought to be specified, at least in the codex. Even then, it wouldn’t be necessary per se, since they would remain “that world’s weeks, months and years”, but at least it would be a justification. As it is, it feels like renaming these common words without true reason.
Days and nights though… I really don’t see any reason.
Now, as opposed to what I was saying about the stats, it didn’t bother me per se, I’m just confused by why more than anything!

I’m really really sorry if it feels like I was criticizing with no good things to say. I truly liked the concept, world, characters, etc, but the WIP is too short to start a deep analysis. And for the things that bothered me, I can at least explain these and the reasons for them to be a issue for me in detail.
Ultimately, both the stats and the terminology are up to you, and I have no doubts lots of people will like the game no matter what you keep as it is or what you decide to change, if anything. So please, don’t be discouraged by my words! The stat systems you use simply make it a game that’s not for me, but as I said, that’s just me.

Good luck with the following chapters! :wink:

5 Likes

Hi! Thank you for such long and detailed response. The game is still in its early rough state, so most of the elements are not yet final (this includes terminologies and stats).

I simply wrote the ideas that came into my mind at that certain time, which resulted to unusual terms😂 it’s actually helpful to receive some criticisms about these so I could incorporate a compromise between my ideas and the readers’ preferences later in the editing stage of the game.

About the stat increase that you’ve mentioned, IDK what on earth happened (probably was tipsy doing it) but I certainly agree with your views on the “practical” one👀 like i said, most of the stat names, stat checks, and stat changes are not set in stone yet.

Thank you for sharing your insights. I’ll be sure to work hard on the game’s improvements.

3 Likes

Oh, I see - well, it happens!
Since it’s still early game, I’ll probably give a go to a couple more updates of the demo - depending on how stats evolve, I may or may not play the final product, but at least for now I’ll still be able to give feedback or hunt for bugs or whatever, considering the save system makes it easier.

1 Like

Really interesting start! Looking forward to seeing more of where this goes. Thanks for posting this!

2 Likes

I think i found an error:

You felt your cheeks heat up as her gaze fell upon your face. In a hurried fashion, you casted your eyes down to shield your sentiments from her scrutiny. However, as much as you wanted him to disregard such act of embarrassment, she didn’t.

It says him instead of her.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.