Updated 4/20 - Mages of the Empire - WIP

I thought that might be the case. I chose to play a female and it happens when your asking Nathan about talking with Peyton about an apology. I think this is after physical education. Except it’ll say Nat instead of Nathan.

@Crotale
Sorry :slight_smile: just presumed you are one of the people that start critizing the game, without actually giving author time to work, still the second part of the post still stand, if you distingush between skills and personality its should be okay :smile:

BTW seems like my greatest talent is making myself look like an idiot :blush:

1 Like

Regarding the class rating you mentioned earlier, what are the requirements for each class? Like is it based on the percentage level of your magic? Let’s say 40% red magic skill makes you a class 3 mage? It would be good if you can specify the requirements for reaching those classes in the game.

Will there be a relationship stats available in the near future? Think it might be interesting if one’s relationship level with the various NPCs have implications in the later chapters of the story. For instance, chemistry during team combat -> higher relationship level with NPC A implies greater team chemistry with that character -> higher chances of winning a battle when bringing that NPC along

Think it would be great if we can master two skills instead of one; or at least able to complement my dominant skill with another magic skill of comparable level. Adds more dynamics to the game.

Really enjoyed the demo so far. It’s engaging. Keep it up!

Yes is good! But i want to master more than one color! With red and black nothing can stand in my way!!! Will be possible to become the most powerful mage?

Thanks for the kind response so far, everyone! You’ve inspired me to keep working on this instead of giving it up. Just remember that I have some lovely college courses eating most of my time up :slight_smile:

Awesome. Cant wait until its finished

This is really cool! I like how the story’s tone is so casual but serious in terms of the protagonist’s future and the Mage Corp’s. How you show us how many weeks we have left of school, coupled with managing studies/work life, adds to the atmosphere. I like how detailed you are when it comes to magic. (It’s a total reconstruction of the concept!)

I like the characters, especially Sam. She’s so talkative and goofy, but she showed off her intelligence with Tess (sp?), who I think may like my character now given how I responded to their debate—despite me siding with mostly Sam.

I pitied Natalia. However, due to how I created my character, she’s pretty much a smart (A+++ on my exam =D) but asocial jerkass. So I never bothered to send that one dude’s apology to her. You know the guy.

I even didn’t consider painting my room with Sam at first, 'cause my character maybe wouldn’t care for that, but I decorated the place anyway and my magic, to my surprise, increased.

My only quibble is with the personality stats. They’re not quite personality traits, and to my disappoint there wasn’t much to see there, either. As for using percentage to show how skilled one is in a particular magic, I don’t have a strong opinion of how you go about displaying them. What I’d like to see, though, is a brief description of what ‘blue, red, etc.’ magic is at the beginning of the game when they’re first mentioned.

Other than that, I was very satisfied with this game. Thank you for creating it!

I really like this so far. It’s definitely a game worth developing, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

This is really cool!
While romances aren’t completely necessary, I would like the chance to maybe get to know the characters a bit more, like maybe a choice of what to do on the weekends or something?

I really like this game its awesome. Is there any way to get Nat to apologize to Payton or be your friend.

Yes. Nat and Payton have pretty much polar opposite attitudes. Nat hate violence and likes having reasons. Knowing about Eric would be a reason.

Okay I’m gonna replay it to get them to talk.

Just to let you all know - other than a few typo and error fixes I’ve already posted, I won’t be updating this until a solid chunk of additional content is ready. It’s likely to be a while - I started writing off and on last October and it only recently became presentable.

So far I’m loving it. I’m not sure how I feel about throwing half trained teenagers into battle, but, eh… I think I’m just biased for magical schools and don’t want to leave, haha.

I really like the characters, too. Nat’s my favorite, alongside Tess. They’re super cute :sunny:

My only complaint is, like everyone else, the stats. It isn’t that I don’t like stats, because I actually do. Its just that if they’re there, I want them to be there for a reason. Instead of it just being about what sort of magic you prefer to use, it would open new dialogues and choices. I saw a little of it in the demo, but it was mostly just for fighting. I’m going to go play it again, though, so maybe I’m wrong.

But yeah, other than that, it was A+!

The U.S. Infantry throws teenagers into battle after 14 weeks of training for the shortest AIT. These teenagers have magic. They won’t be an elite fighting force, but the Empire needs all the magic it can get. I think I’ll end up extending the time you spend at the magic school some, though, to make it feel less rushed.

I’m not sure how I feel about the U.S Infantry either… :frog:

I appreciate the extension, although it honestly doesn’t feel too rushed. Either way, keep up the good work!

Not bad, Interested to see where it’s headed. I’d definitely add some more scenes to this part of the story to help give some more info on some of the characters(classmates/teachers/others important to the story)

Is the US infantry really a good analogy though?

I would think that west point or a trade school would be a better analogy. This school is engineering school, and medical school, and even for combat mage training wouldn’t they include officer training as well as looking for magical footsoldiers?

Looking it up online, a carpentry trade school can take 3 or 4 years, not to disparage carpentry (that’s certainly not a skill I have), but if woodworking takes years I don’t see manipulating the universe like a lego set taking a couple of weeks.

Dude, becoming a professional carpenter takes a lot of skill; clearly a lot more skill and training than you’re aware of. It doesn’t help things to say “not to disparage” something and then proceed to do just that. If carpentry is something that seems so easy to do, you go and try to do it yourself, and see how far you get.

1 Like

Well take its as more of 1 Year Conscription. You are ready for combat, but you are no veteran. and i think this is same for the mages.