Upcoming Releases update

My opinion: Let them update it when they get aroudn to it. There are only so many people working on choice of games. Editing the post would take away worktime from actually getting the game out the door.

1 Like

I had hoped to see the tentative release date(s) for the next part of Samurai of Hyuga, to be totally, brutally honest.
Ah well, Heroes Rise (minus the first part) was nice enough, even though I’m not a particular fan of the masked superhero genre. I wish Versus the best of Luck, of course. If it gets enough rave review on these forums I might even buy it.

Continuing the discussion from Upcoming Releases update:

It’d take 5 seconds. I’m okay with 5 seconds being taken away. Making and selling apps is hard, but CoG has a loyal fanbase and aren’t doing awfully. So looking after that fanbase is a good gesture.

As said, I buy almost every game. I think I’ve not bought one out of the whole catalogue. And while I’m still owed nothing for the rest, it’d be nice if my time was thought of as valuable. It’s obvious me, and others will be waiting for the game to drop as suggested it would. Just a simple “delayed” would make me feel worth more.

2 Likes

I am not saying that COG is lazy or they should update pages immediately, I am saying that it should be made a good habit to update release page so that fans of COG know when is the the next game come.

My thoughts exactly.

I’m also one of those people who keep checking the Upcoming Releases thread regularly, and am looking forward to every new game that gets released. Those past few days I checked the page at least four times a day, hoping that Versus finally got released.
That way I got disappointed multiple times. If someone had simply posted a “delayed” message, I would have only gotten disappointed once.

2 Likes

Fine. I have updated the post. I don’t like editing Jason’s posts. I don’t even know if I’m allowed to. I’m not going to make a habit of it. But there. Is everybody happy now?

We’re a very small portion of the fanbase here. Think of that upcoming release thread as just a small, inaccurate perk we get here. It’s unofficial, not really part of their marketing or advertising, but it is keeping us informed.

They’ve just had to hire a new staff member because they are extremely overworked. It may just be one small thing needed to be done, but it’s one small thing on a huge list of other things, and larger things. And a small thing, on a thread which already says that it’s not official, and is just very rough estimates.

6 Likes

Fine. I have updated the post. I don’t like editing Jason’s posts. I don’t even know if I’m allowed to. I’m not going to make a habit of it. But there. Is everybody happy now?

Woah. There is no need to be hostile. Your fanbase told you they felt like you didn’t care, and your response is to get hostile?

People end up wasting their time checking to see if they can pay you money.

We’re a very small portion of the fanbase here.

So we’re unimportant?

The reality is that a loyal fanbase being the first downloaders is great. It’s how you get more good reviews first.

They’ve just had to hire a new staff member because they are extremely overworked. It may just be one small thing needed to be done, but it’s one small thing on a huge list of other things, and larger things. And a small thing, on a thread which already says that it’s not official, and is just very rough estimates.

This is not a user problem. I feel for you - I do. I know what it’s like to run businesses. But that is not the users issue - that is an in-house one that you need to sort amongst yourselves.

I’ll reiterate from earlier; People would like to be updated if an app is not going to be released today after all, so they can stop linking feeling disappointed with your product and do something else, or otherwise to pay you money. I ended up playing It’s Killing Time after 3 delays, and I genuinely enjoyed it less because I had to wait around several times to try and get it – and the hype killed it.

This response has left a rather sour taste in my mouth.

2 Likes

As per the forum rules

We’re both just fans.

We have differing opinions. I’m worried that they’ll just decide the Upcoming Releases thread is clearly making too many people unhappy and decide to delete it. I don’t want that happening.

You’re making some really good arguments for deleting the thread and I really don’t want to see it removed. I like it, inaccurate as it is.

5 Likes

I think you should not be this mad. Yes they did not update the page but this doesn’t make it any better to start accusing them to be ignoring their fans. He changed it and he is angry about how they work so hard to make games which all people like but the fans accuses them of ignoring them. Yes we are the minority talking that COG doesn’t update but be happy he did it. I am thankful for him to listen to us about how COG didn’t update the page but geting mad over such a small issue doesn’t solve problems. Also be thankful that he is even noticing us about this when he is saying that workload of staff is high.COG isn’t EA or Ubisoft etc a big company but a small group of people who love to make COG for people like us who love to decide what happens in the story.

2 Likes

I very much like the Upcoming Releases thread, as well…as stated at the top of that thread, it’s not meant to be a spot-on list of release dates, just general estimates. I find it fun to know what I can potentially look forward to seeing out in a few weeks, or days, or months. I would hate to lose that.

@zachinglis I believe the other channels - Facebook, the email list - send out notifications when new games are released, yes? And there’s also the Hosted Games Facebook page for titles besides the in-house Choice of Games publications. So perhaps following release updates via one of the other channels would suit your purposes a bit better?

4 Likes

Um, that was not hostile. Do you think a hostile person would just do what you asked even if it may get them in trouble? No, probably not. However, a person feeling harassed would just to get said people to stop. Yes, continuously asking for something can be a form of harassment.

I’m a consumer of CoG as well and I personally rather have them focus on getting games out as opposed to a thread on the forums. All I can say, if people keep complaining about it more and more, the thread may be taken away. I like knowing the estimated release dates even if they aren’t released on them. That CoG even bothers with it, makes it feel like they value their customers. Also, please remember that behind CoG, they are people just like their consumers. They do what they can, when they can. It is a small company, created by people like us, who have family and friends. It isn’t some large corporation with employees working 24/7 to be worried about an unofficial release date thread on the forum.

It is one thing to ask or make a request, but seemingly demanding they do something continuously from a small company you were already informed was overworked, just looks like plain trolling/harassment to me, especially when someone gave you what you asked for and then you call them hostile at their reply when they put their foot down on what their own actions are going to be in the future.

3 Likes

This conversation should end. It’s getting hostile.

2 Likes

Lets all take a deep breath and take a group hug and end this post as the people are so sensitive about any small things happening. Lock this post fairy before its to late or we are in for a tough roller coaster ride

You’re making some really good arguments for deleting the thread and I really don’t want to see it removed. I like it, inaccurate as it is.

That’d be an incredibly knee-jerk reaction. And one I’d suspect (though can not confirm) would cause lesser interest. Again, there’s very likely an internal spreadsheet updated when Jason knows if a game has been approved and when it’s coming out – just updating the post at the same time doesn’t take tons of effort. Hell, if you were up for it, emailing you to ask you to update it would take 5 seconds too.

COG isn’t EA or Ubisoft etc a big company but a small group of people who love to make COG for people like us who love to decide what happens in the story.

This is true, but there are plenty of companies who are more transparent who aren’t EA. COG are trying to hire someone, so I’ll be guessing they’re a business that is at least sustainable. In that case, I don’t feel I’m asking tons. And I’ll continue to throw money at every title.

I very much like the Upcoming Releases thread, as well…as stated at the top of that thread, it’s not meant to be a spot-on list of release dates, just general estimates.

Again, I realise this, but if we’re talking about something meant to be releasing that day… or a date that’s in the past, a little message to let people know wouldn’t be too hard.

Um, that was not hostile. Do you think a hostile person would just do what you asked even if it may get them in trouble? No, probably not. However, a person feeling harassed would just to get said people to stop. Yes, continuously asking for something can be a form of harassment.

Erm. Wat. So that wasn’t hostile, but me asking for a company to be more transparent is harassment.

That CoG even bothers with it, makes it feel like they value their customers. Also, please remember that behind CoG, they are people just like their consumers. They do what they can, when they can. It is a small company, created by people like us, who have family and friends. It isn’t some large corporation with employees working 24/7 to be worried about an unofficial release date thread on the forum.

I currently run two companies that take a LOT of my time. I understand this. But I try to be as transparent as possible to our customers.

I’m not asking for anything huge. I asked for a simple edit of one or two words. That’s all.

It is one thing to ask or make a request, but seemingly demanding they do something continuously from a small company you were already informed was overworked, just looks like plain trolling/harassment to me,

Erm. o.O; I am going to assume you’re trolling me now? I never demanded anything. I asked, I opened up a discussion. If I am not free to open up a discussion of how I feel about the processes, very calmly, then there’s something seriously wrong.

People ought to be allowed to vent. No one believes Choice Of holds malicious intent. It’s simply unprofessionalism. As the company grows, we will see it naturally move towards the professionalism found in other game companies. That is all.

2 Likes

People ought to be allowed to vent. No one believes Choice Of holds malicious intent. It’s simply unprofessionalism. As the company grows, we will see it naturally move towards the professionalism found in other game companies. That is all.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I’m going to continue to buy CoG games, continue to promote them, and continue to try and help them build their business up as I can as a fan.

But I’ll also call them out when they’re doing something that makes me feel frustrated, because I would want the same as business owner. But also, because it’s probably just an oversight and not malicious at all. Bringing it to their attention can help them rectify it. If I pretend that it doesn’t exist, they won’t know and I’ll just grow to resent them.

2 Likes

I still think that this thread is making a big stink about nothing important.

I still think that this thread is making a big stink about nothing important.

Translates: “It’s not important to me, therefore it mustn’t be important.”

I, and others in this thread, have expressed we waste our time over something that could be fixed with Jason spending just 5 seconds. As I also stated it also creates ill will with loyal customers. Which is probably important for them not to do.

That’s not what I meant. I meant “you’ve said your piece, @FairyGodfeather updated the thread like you asked, why are we still talking about this?”

The forum is unofficial. The release date thread says “these dates are not official and might be inaccurate.” You continue to argue even when your original point has been resolved. So yes, I think we’re done here.

6 Likes

Hi Everybody!

That new staff member here. I’m really glad on the one hand that there are people checking and re-checking the Release Dates thread, and I’m sympathetic to folks who would prefer that this was something ironclad and constantly being updated whenever something changes. I’m new on the scene here, so I’m not going to speak for @jasonstevanhill, but . . . a few things: A) I don’t want anyone to feel frustrated (@zachinglis) and B) I think we’re pretty durn professional (@redditz) C) It’s really not an official thread. I receive a lot of mail from fans asking and sometimes demanding to know when something is going to get released. It’s not appropriate for me to share guesses, and it’s not appropriate for fans to bug authors about it on the forums–I was told there’s a rule against this? Similarly, I feel like a couple folks are doing the equivalent of bugging an author here, but instead are speculating about why COG staff do or don’t have time to update this and surely it just takes a second, etc. Yes, it is a courtesy to our fans and we should respect that. Yes, I do want to make people happy and that’s actually something I take a lot of pleasure in–making our customers and fanbase happy.

But yes, I’ll also take the thread away if ya’ll get too shirty about it. So far, I don’t think that’s the case, so no worries. :relieved:

I will talk to Jason about how and when and why we update and whether that can be something I take on as one of my tasks. I think my short answer is that yes–we’re pretty much focussed on getting a game out the door. If you can understand that the thread is cum grano salis then it will continue.

10 Likes