UnNatural Season Two Released 4th May 23

Well it that case he sounds like an amazing combination of Jack the ripper and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I salute your creativity mate and hope that he is not only a potential recruit for silver cross but a potential candidate for some amazing banter with Victor down the line

Ironically Iā€™ve always liked the idea that Jack the Ripper was Springheeled JackšŸ˜‰

3 Likes

Been a busy weekend with family, but have been working/planning a fun social scene here is a teaser

You close you phone and check the time, it's not even 8am yet and the club won't open for several hours. You turn to face ${partner}.

"So any idea of what we do while we wait?" you ask slumping in your chair.

${partner} grins. "I've got a perfect way of passing the time, I won these tickets in a competition," ${heshe1} says waving two tickets in your face. "Two tickets for a local funfair! I got permission off Arthur to borrow one of the cars to drive over there."
*fake_choice
  #"Sounds like a fun way of passing time.
  #"Sure, why not."
  #"I've nothing better to do so let's go.

Finishing your drinks, you head to the garage where a car has been prepared for you. ${partner} drives and you relax in the passenger seat. The journey takes just under four hours and the drive over has been pretty quiet. As you get out the car and head towards the park, ${heshe1} stop${partner_s} you.

"Wait a minute. I've had an idea to make things even more fun. Why don't we have a little friendly competition? You v me, loser has to dress up as a cute bunny!"

"How will we do this?" you ask looking at the rides and stalls.

"Simple. The firing range, the ring toss, test your strength, fishing and finally dodgems," ${partner} explains. "First one to three wins."

"You're on ${partner}, prepare to lose," you say as you walk towards the first stall.
11 Likes

Shooting range challenge done, it was fun trying to figure out how each character would react to the situation

choice
  *hide_reuse #Shooting Gallery.
    You walk over to the Shooting Gallery where an antique BB gun is handed to you by a middle-aged lady with frazzled hair and wild looking hazel eyes.

"Ten shots. Ten targets," she rasps at you. "Eight or more and you get a prize," she gestures to a series of teddies on the top shelf.

*if (mental > 50) or ((firearms) and (mental >40))
      *set player_score 9
      Carefully you take aim and pull the trigger. The pellet clangs off the back wall missing the targets by a couple of inches. Calculating how off the shot was, your next shot hits the target and the next, and the next until your gun clicks empty and nine targets are hit. The lady behind the stall looks impressed and passes you a blue teddy bear.

"Your turn ${partner}," you say smiling.

*goto partner_turn1
    *if (mental >40)
      *set player_score 8
      Carefully you take aim and pull the trigger. The pellet clangs off the back wall missing the targets by a couple of inches. Adjusting your aim slightly you try again and this time the shot is only an inch wide. Calculating how off the shot was, your third shot hits the target and the next, and the next until your gun clicks empty and eight targets are hit. The lady behind the stall looks impressed and passes you a blue teddy bear.

*goto partner_turn1
    *if (mental > 30)
      *set player_score 7
      Carefully you take aim and pull the trigger. The pellet clangs off the back wall missing the targets by nearly four inches. Adjusting your aim slightly you try again and this time the shot is only a couple of inches wide. Calculating how off the shot was, your third shot clips the edge of the target but the angle meant it didn't get knocked down. Cursing under your breath, you adjust your aim once more and finally the target goes down and so does the next one. Comfortable with the adjustments the rest of the targets fall down quickly and when your gun clicks empty you'd hit seven targets.

*goto partner_turn1
    *label partner_turn1
    *if (partner = "Ashley")
      "Thanks," Ashley says as she takes the gun from you, letting her hand trail along your arms.

She holds the gun gingerly at first, like she is unsure. Her first three shots all miss the targets, and Ashley seems crestfallen. The stall lady seems to believe her nervousness, whispering something in her ear.

"Thanks for the tip," Ashley says gratefully, before turning to wink at you and pulling the trigger.

Her next three shots hit the targets dead center, Ashley flashes a smile at the lady. "Your advice must have worked Miss."

She looks shocked, realizing that Ashley was better than she'd been letting on. Ashley takes out the remaining four targets easily. Still smiling she hands the gun back before looking at you.

"I've been practicing," Ashley reveals with a smile.

*if (player_score > 7)
        *set player_wins +1
        "It was a good effort," you acknowledge. "But not quite good enough, one point to me."
        *goto result1
      *elseif (player_score = 7)
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        "Nice work," you admit. "Looks like we tied this match."
        *goto result1
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        "That's impressive," you admit. "Looks like you win this match."
        *goto result1
    *if (partner = "Austin")
      "Thanks," Austin says as he takes the gun from you.

He holds it confidently automatically checking the sighting on the rifle. He hefts it up, checking his target. His first shot misses by a fraction of an inch,

"Remember, you'll have to wear that bunny suit when we get back" Austin says  looking at you with a boyish grin.

Instantly he turns and the gun cracks twice in succession and two targets snap back. Austin fires twice more and another two targets go down.

"You're not bad are you dearie," the woman says eying up Austin, with an almost hungry look.

"Austin is a very good shot," you interject, letting a hand rest on Austin's shoulder. He smiles at you.

The woman frowns and just nods. "Yes I suppose he is. Let's see how he does with his last five shots."

Austin responds by firing the next six shots almost rapid fire, the bullets hit their mark, clank, clank, clank, clank, clank, CLANG!

You frown at that last sound and look to see Austin's last shot had actually missed

*if (player_score = 9)
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        "It was a good effort," you acknowledge. "Looks like we tied this match."
        *goto result1
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result1
    *if (partner = "Lakota")
      "Thank you my love," Lakota says as he takes the gun from you, letting his hand linger on your own.

He holds the rifle gingerly, not scared of it but aware of the danger a gun could pose to the living, respectful even. Lakota takes aim and pulls the trigger, a target goes down on the first shot. Three more go down in quick succession.

"What!? How is that possible that gun isā€¦" the woman stops herself before she says too much.

"What was that?" Lakota says giving you a sly wink.

"Noā€¦nothing,"She stutters. "You've still got four shots left."

Lakota nods and glances back to you. "I  think I've had enough, this game is rigged."

The woman looks furious. "How dare you suggest that!" she snaps.

"Let's go ${name}. Before I do something I regret. I'll give you this match."

*if (player_score > 7)
        *set player_wins +1
        "This feels like a hollow victory," you say as you walk away together.

Lakota puts an arm around you. "I could tell she was phony the moment I saw here. I used my powers to make the gun accurate. It wouldn't be right to win like that."
        *goto result1
      *else
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        "I know you used your powers to expose her," you reveal. "That is fine with me but we'll call this a tie."
        *goto result1
    *if (partner = "Denise")
      "Thā€¦Thanks," Denise says as she takes the gun from you, letting her hand trail along your arms.

She holds the gun gingerly at first, like she is unsure. You slip up behind her, letting your arms wrap around her, guiding her hands to lift the rifle up.

"${name}?" Denise says softly.

"Focus on that sight at the end of the barrel. Yeah, just like that,  now take a deep breath. When you release it gently squeeze the trigger."

Denise does as you say and you feel the nervousness wash out her body, the tenseness gone as she squeezes the trigger. The round misses the target hitting a few inches to the left of her chosen target.

"Don't worry, that just means the sight is just off center. We just need to adjust it slightly," you explain guiding her hand a little to the right.

Her next shot misses by a couple of centimeters, you help her adjust again and her third shot knocks a target down.

"I did it!" Denise squeals in delight.

"You did, well done," you reply with a smile. "Now try it without my help."

"Okay ${name}," Denise nods determination on her face.

On her own, she manages to hit two more targets, her first shot would miss but she'd manage to clip the target enough on the second attempt to knock it down.

"You did well for a first attempt. But I win this round," you say with a smile.

"Thanks ${name}," Denise replies kissing you on the cheek.
      *goto result1
    *if (partner = "${friend}")
      "Thanks," ${friend} says as ${heshe_f} take${partner_s} the gun from you, letting ${hisher_f} hand trail along your arms.

$!{friend} holds the gun more confidently than before, ${heshe_f} must have got some more practice in when you weren't together.

"I think you'll be surprised at how much I've improved," ${friend} lazily stands their rifle balanced carefully on ${hisher_f} shoulder. 

"Show me them," you retort gesturing to the targets.

${friend} turns, aims and shoots in a single fluid motion. The bullet goes wide.

You laugh as ${friend} almost fumbles the rifle in embarrassment. "Iā€¦meant to do that," ${heshe_f} mumbles unconvincingly.

"You've still got nine shots left," you say trying to stop grinning.

"I know," ${friend} grumbles.

$!{hisher_f} next nine shots are much better, but when the rifle clicks empty. ${friend} had managed to score seven.

*if (player_score > 7)
        *set player_wins +1
        "It was a good effort," you acknowledge. "But not quite good enough, one point to me."
        *goto result1
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result1
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result1
    *if (partner = "Scarlet")
      "Thanks," Scarlet says as she takes the gun from you, letting her hand trail along your arms.

She holds the rifle firmly as she checks the sight, hefting it slightly to get a feel of the weight. Letting out a sigh, Scarlet takes aim and shoots, the bullet clips a target but doesn't knock it down.

"I've took my sister to stalls like these before, the rifles are always slightly off-center. You just need to figure by how much," Scarlet explains with a smile.

Her next three shots hit the targets dead center, Scarlet flashes you a smile. "See?"

"Very impressive, how many more can you hit?"

Scarlet's smile grows wider and she empties the rifle knocking down the remaining targets.

"That many," she says passing you the gun with a grin.

*if (player_score = 9)
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result1
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result1
    *if (partner = "Victor")
      "Looking forward to seeing you in the bunny costume," Victor smirks as he takes the rifle off you.

He holds the gun like a seasoned professional. Checking the sight, and getting a feel for the weight too. After a couple of checks he turns to the stall vendor.

"This sight has been tampered with, I want a different rifle," he says pushing the rifle into her hands.

"That shouldn't happen, let me get you a new one," she mumbles going into the back before returning with a second rifle.

This time it passes Victor's checks and he seems satisfied. Smirking again he takes aim and the first shot hits dead center and so does the second one. He pauses to smile at you.

"Remember you agreed to the bet ${name}," he says as he aims again.

This time though you think you notice a slight glow at the tip of the rifle. You frown but say nothing, you don't feel threatened by it, so you just watch. Victor's next shot misses and he curses loudly.

"I meant that, I wanted to give you a chance" he says in defense, but his next shot misses too.

In fact, by the time the rifle clicks empty he had misses every other target. Victor doesn't look happy.

"I'll let you have this one, I'm feeling generous," he says sternly.

"I believe you," you say as your phone bleeps.

You check your phone the message is short and sweet.

[i]Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's fun seeing him confused. Have fun! L[/i]

You delete the text shaking  your head, looking for Lakota in he crowd and you just catch him grin as he disappears into the crowd.
    *label result1

"So the current score is ${player_wins} wins for you, and ${partner_wins} wins for me."
    *goto fairground

Nearly 30,000 words (last count) of code/story so far it always amazes me how much code goes into these games.

11 Likes

I laughed at Lakota messing with Victor. He deserves it :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah Lakota couldnā€™t resist lol

2 Likes

Working on Season Two I canā€™t help but be tempted to sneak in a second protagonist.

By this I mean at one point Iā€™m each episode the pov switches to a new character the player controls; this one being a Knight of the Cross and flipping the locale to the UK.

So the secondary protagonist would get a scene per episode (for a total of 6).

Most curious concept I thought of is the player first encounters them by finding their dead body of course they wonā€™t stay dead (with different ways to be alive).

On a side note wrote a scene with Victor having too much fun in dodgems it was uncomfortable to write him so cheery.

7 Likes

First of all that would be awesome to be a secondary PC especially as a Knight of the Cross. And this could split off into a completely separate spin off series that explores monster hunting in another country with the casts of both games meeting up for big events and fun cameos of the two partnered agencies. My only true question would be if the UK PC would be an unnatural as well and do the Knights recruit unnaturals like the Silver Crossā€™ or would we be a solely human agent with the potential to form a new agency of an opposing view point

1 Like

They will be human, the KotC only recruit one type of Unnatural. Considering their existence is what fueled legends of King Arthur and his knights of the round table. You can probably guess what kindšŸ˜‰

5 Likes

Will the two protagonists lead up to some kind of effect on each other? Even if itā€™s just through world news?

1 Like

The interactions will be as follows;

The main protagonist will come across the dead body of the secondary protagonist (this is how you create the new MC by analysing the ā€œcrime sceneā€.

Then in the second half the main MC is indisposed of with work which is when the control switches to the second MC as they ā€œreviveā€ (there will be three possible ways for this to happen all determined by what you ā€œfindā€ at their crime scene.) Then they begin there search for what they are looking for.

Then during each following episode the player will resume control of the character at specific parts of their case. which will culminate in a final battle with their target,

Apart from the initial scene in season two they will often miss each other which their actions affecting the story slightly (for example the KotC picks the lock of a door, the MC can later find the door open during their own missions. in another example the one MC can make a scene for the other much easier by killing the enemy before they get there. For example says the one hits a base for animators (just an example) and they kill everyone apart from one who manages to escape, the second MC could come across the survivor later in a mission which could have had them fighting all the animators instead they have a battered, bruised and terrified sole survivor to question.

5 Likes

A sneak peak at some ring toss actions for a few of the romance options.

*label partner_turn2
    *if (partner = "Ashley")
      "${player_score} points, not bad" Ashley says as she takes the rings off you. She smirks, "I'm used to hula hoops but this shouldn't be too difficult."

She flashes a smile at your look and tosses her first ring it hits a 3 point peg. 

"Easy" Ashley laughs as she switches hands tossing her second ring onto another three-pointer.

You whistle appreciatively as she readies her third and final ring. She goes to toss it but hesitates. "Wait a minute, I forgot something."

"What?" you say frowning as she jogs over to you.

Ashley doesn't respond, as she reaches you a hand wraps around your lower back pulling you closer while the other hand presses against your chest.

"This of course," she whispers in your ear in a seductive town and she kisses you.

The vendor coughs politely and you both blush slightly, offering a slightly apologetic shrug you turn to face Ashley as her last ring nails the four point peg.

"I needed a good luck kiss," she says beaming at you.

*if (player_score > 10)
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
    *if (partner = "Austin")
      "${player_score} points, not bad" Austin says as he takes the rings off you. He smiles, "I'm good at the ring toss. I think I can at least match that."

His first ring hits a two-point peg.

"My hand slipped" Austin says as he prepares his second ring.

The ring catches on a three-point peg. "That's better, Austin says happily.

For a moment Austin falls silent and you notice he is gazing at the ring a bit too intently. You walk over and place a hand on his back.

"You okay?" you ask concerned.

Austin looks up and you see the glisten of a tear forming in the corner of his eye. Realizing it he wipes it way and gives you a smile.

"Sorry ${name}, I just remembered the last time I had a go at ring toss it was with Emily," he reveals before adding, "That is the past now."

Austin pulls you into his arms and you feel yourself sinking into his chest. "Our past is what makes us, you say hugging him back."

"True, but we can't let it hold us back either," he suddenly smirks and you feel his hand smack your bum. "Now stop trying to distract me."

He laughs at your surprised face and tosses his final ring which hits another three-point peg.

*if (player_score > 8)
        *set player_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *elseif (player_score = 8
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
    *if (partner = "Lakota")
      "${player_score} points, not bad" Lakota says as he takes the rings off you. He smiles. "Okay let's see how well I can do."

You watch Lakota concentrate trying to sense if he uses his powers at all. His first toss though seems normal enough and catches a two point peg.

"Well at least that's a start." 

"You can do it, I've got faith in you," you say cheering him on.

"Thank you my love," he says tossing his second ring which hits another two-point peg.

Still smiling, Lakota holds his last ring out. "Kiss it for luck?"

You laugh and give it a peck. Lakota smile becomes a grin and he tosses his last ring which nails a three-point peg.

"Ending on a high," Lakota says happily.

*if (player_score > 7)
        *set player_wins +1
        *goto result2
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2

Just having a break to sort some dinner out for me and my kids. Then back to writing :slight_smile:

edit: ring toss almost done just canā€™t see how Craig/Sarah/Casey would react just yet so Iā€™m brain storming. But still here are Denise, Scarlet and Victorā€™s scenes.

*if (partner = "Denise")
      "${player_score} points, not bad" Denise says as she takes the rings off you. Brushing up against you as she does. "Let's see how well I can do."

You watch as she concentrates on the ring, she even sticks her tongue out a little completely focusing on the task in front of her. Her hand whips forward tossing the ring towards the pegs.

Her toss catches a peg spinning round before settling for hooking on it. You blink and realize she got a three-point peg.

"That worked out better than I thought," Denise admits running her hand through her hair.

She glances back at you with an almost nervous smile. Denise's next toss catches a two-point peg.

"You're doing well," you encourage her.

"Thanks," she says softly threading her fingers in your own. "I feel like a can do anything when I'm with you."

Still smiling at you, she tosses her last ring and it bounces off the four-point peg. She chuckles. "Well apart from hit the four-point peg."

You find yourself laughing along and she slides up to you and leads you away from the stall.

"I didn't do too bad did I?"

*if (player_score > 5)
        *set player_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *elseif (player_score = 5)
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
    *if (partner = "Scarlet")
      "${player_score} points, not bad," Scarlet says taking the rings from you.

"Good luck," you say stepping back.

"Don't worry, I take my sister to places like this all the time," Scarlet smiles, brightening up as she always did mentioning her little sis.

"Good, I don't want this to be easy," you retort.

Scarlet laughs, it is a good sound. "Easy? ${name} you have no idea," she tosses the ring and it catches the 4-pointer with ease.

You whistle appreciatively as she readies her second ring.

"If that impressed you ${name}. Check this out," she calls out as she tossed her last two rings at the same time.

Both rings catch onto pegs almost perfectly. One on three-point peg and another landed on a one-point peg.

*if (player_score > 8)
        *set player_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *elseif (player_score = 8)
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
    *if (partner = "Victor")
      "${player_score} points, I can do better," Victor says snatching the rings from you hand.

Your smile makes him frown but he just turns to the targets casually spinning one of the rings on his finger.

"Just watch and learn ${name}. That outfit will look great and you."

"Sure, just throw the hoop."

Victor chuckles and tosses his first ring it hits the four-point peg effortlessly.

"Impressed yet?" Victor smirks.

"Not really," you retort.

The vendor chokes back a laugh which earns him a glare from Victor.

Victor walks up to you an annoyed look on his face.

You look him in the eye smiling at him. He frowns then turns back to the stall tossing his next ring. This attempt just about snags a two-point peg. Grumbling more he tosses his last ring more in frustration than focus. That two only scores him one-point.

*if (player_score > 6)
        *set player_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *elseif (player_score = 6)
        *set player_wins +1
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
      *else
        *set partner_wins +1
        *goto result2
9 Likes

I just wanted to say thank you for making this a thing! Itā€™s so awesome and I love it!
And I hope you donā€™t mine me asking this, I Donā€™t know if Iā€™m remembering right, did you saiy that the update to part one would change some of the ROā€™s orientations? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

1 Like

The update will fix some of them that werenā€™t triggering.

2 Likes

Shooting gallery, test your strength, ring toss scenes done. Working on Dodgems today. Any ideas for a fifth ā€œeventā€ my initial idea of fishing isnā€™t working for me.

Edit: Iā€™m hoping to have episode one done by the end of April. Then episode two end of May and so on until first draft hopefully done by September. Thatā€™s the plan anyway.

4 Likes

Perhaps you could do a haunted house thing where you and your partner try to guess what the next scare in the house would be and whoever gets more guesses correct wins.

1 Like

Maybe a rope ladder? It doesnā€™t exactly have points but you could compare who gets farther. Also allows for comedic options where someone falls off.

You just suggested that so Lakota could make Victors rope slippy didnā€™t you :joy:

7 Likes

Updated the demo with four of the five social events done. Enjoy.

https://dashingdon.com/play/nocturnalstillness/unnatural---season-two/mygame/index.php?cb=17807

12 Likes

I think there is a coding error here

ā€œyou ask waving the files in $hisher1} face.ā€