UnNatural - A supernatural horror game - editing complete, beta testing over

@Rob

Canisa did make a valid point a government agent would be given access to places.

I am still trying to think of ways to add replay value .

Ideally I will learn to use *if commands properly then can tailor scenes for both sexes. So each has a varied and interesting story whatever sex you are/choose

Sure but I still donā€™t understand how a game is discriminatory if the option for gender selection is included and the story allows a player playing as either a male or female to excel

4 Likes

@Rob

I think Canisa is referring to the fact that if I went down this route it might seem like that I am limiting what a character can do depending on their sex. Which is certainly not my intention.

At the moment I plan to write 10 different cases, with the player doing five of them over the course of the game (1 case per episode so 5 episodes planned). So the replayability is currently limited in itself, I thought by using the gender exclusive ā€˜caseā€™ I could add an additonal two cases that reward a player choosing to play through as both sexes.

I hope my words arenā€™t coming out bluntly, as I appreciate all comments both positive and negative as both are vital in writing.

1 Like

@Canisa That is absolutely nice to see someone that tries so hard to stop discrimination (take this as an compliment). Iā€™m not going to argue any more with you about discrimination as I see that you have made a valid point.

About the game, it seems that there was a misunderstanding on my part. Canisa made a valid point about female being banned from going to menā€™s prison. It could be seen as discrimination and thus its a bit questionable.

Other than that, my point stands :smiley:

@imf151

Thanks for replying. I agree about that valid point. I am still trying to make the game varied enough to warrant playthroughs as both sexes i think both male and female deserve good and varied games. however I donā€™t want it to be sexist which is making it harder so may have to drop the idea.

@Nocturnal_Stillness

The idea in its own is great but yeah as you said it might be hard to make the idea without discrimination. You can always make for example the prison scene in a way that by arguing you can get in but without arguing your left outside.

Maybe the warden says you cannot enter but you flash your badge.

I think ill shelve the idea too much on slippery ground. I will worry about the cases when I start writing them.

Thanks for the comments all of you and I hope my words havenā€™t offended any of you.

Would people prefer for the skill stat to be changed to another one Iā€™ve had a few comments about it being the only stat that doesnā€™t work.

The ā€˜skillā€™ stat is rather non-indicutive. Iā€™d recommend changing it.

Okay I have been giving it some thought how do these sound for revised stats.

Physical, Mental and Spirit remain the same (although am considering changing ā€˜spiritā€™ to ā€˜Auraā€™ as that is what it is commonly referred to in game).

Instead of Skill there will now be Experience which will dictate what your character has lived through determining how you deal with situations. (not 100% sure about it, but the best I could come up atm)

Have you considered doing the same thing CoV did, where there are a handful of skills rated 0~4. They could be determined by your background or something. It could also be a set of booleans. You either have skill with a pistol/whatever else ā€˜skillā€™ covers, or you donā€™t, and your Physical/Mental stat controls how well you shoot. (Assuming you donā€™t want a generic ā€˜everything skillā€™ stat, but donā€™t want a bunch of stats either.)

@Reaperoa

That might be worth considering

Physical, mental and spirit in %

then have

firearms 0-4
melee 0-4
unarmed 0-4
stealth 0-4
awareness 0-4

That could work.

Should I have a health stat as well to show how close someone is to dying?

Instead of just numbers like ā€œ0-4ā€, maybe something like ā€œNovice-Masterā€ or ā€œYou can barely hit the target-Bullā€™s eye!!ā€?

Also will Physical and Mental affect the learning of combat skills?

And about health, sudden death works for me as long as itā€™s reasonable.

Like,try to beat down a werewolf with 0 unarmed skill (even a random street thug can take you down), end up getting ripped apart isnā€™t really a big surprise.

I am going to try out a 1-4 scale for health but have one ā€˜sudden deathā€™ moment per episode. Episodes can end in one of four ways death, retreat (bad ending) victory (good ending) also considering a perfect ending (which will have a hidden requirement)

1 = I better be able to dodge the next blow

2 = Iā€™m wounded, it may be wise to retreat or at least avoid a fight

3 = Pfft it is just a scratch

4 = I am ready for anything

Physical will have an effect on the unarmed and melee skills as well as your general strength and stamina.

Mental will have an effect on awareness and will have an effect on firearms as it affects how you deal with stress so how you can react to a fully grown werewolf charging at you etc

I am not thinking of having combat skills at this moment but am thinking of having skills learnt from the guardian spirits.

1 Like

Hopefully will update the game tonight. but have an irritated eyelid atm so if it isnā€™t updated thats why.

Update: 29-01-2012

A small update to what I had wanted to do, but the issue with my eye has made concentrating on my writing hard.

The update addsa bit more study up until the choice of first case [which is really simple at the moment but is just to get opinions on the level of information available]

A lot of the added stuff would be rewritten or added. The guardians will also have different abilities to teach you if you go that route but at the moment it is the same three skills no matter who you pick.

link: http://nocturnalstillnesscog.webs.com/Unnatural/my%20game/index.html

Opinions on whats there would be appreciated. Any suggestions would be most grateful.

Great so far.

One thing that keeps bugging me is Craig. Thatā€™s because the transition from bullier to best friend is so fast and without explanation why. Iā€™d imagine it would take quite a bit of time and also a reason. I think it wont happen just by asking ā€œhey, wanna be my best friend and put the past behind us?ā€. Some parts also needs expanding, but this being only a short demo it doesnt matter at this point.

Other than that I love the story and what you have done so far.

Keep up the good work!

well there is a certain way that you can go that helps to make it more sure like I had high academics and ended up helping Alice/Craig out with her/his studies and then they teach your character to defend yourself a bit which segues a bit to that friendship.

I quite liked the revision to the combat skills, felt more efficient. The guardian spirits seem like theyā€™ll add a unique element to the combat and add to the replayability, I look forward to when they, and the cases, are fully written.

@Kuro
I dont know for sure, but it seems like there is a way to skip helping Craig and also skip him helping you. 'Cause Iā€™ve played this now through a couple of times and always ended up not helping him and yet he becomes the best friend. I know that there is a way to help Craig and him returning the favour which of course helps to boost the friendship. What I meant was that if you do choose to play it without helping Craig, the Ā“becoming friendsĀ“-part should be explained a bit better in my opinion.