United We Stand - Political WIP

Christ, that’s really bad. The problem isn’t exactly what is said, because it is supposed to tell Marx and Engels perspective. It’s the image. that “de acordo com Marx e Engels” would only make the words and text alright if those images weren’t there. The images are an overkill that makes the “telling an author’s perspective” become a “making sure you agree with an author’s perspective”.

The images are what makes the whole thing more similar to propaganda disguised as teaching than actual teaching.

I stand corrected (regarding the propaganda).

If there is a civil war in Moravia, does the International Brigade ever show up? Does the country become cause celeb amongst the international left?

–Pauly

1 Like

I saw this, forgot to reply, sorry. Yes, I will add that in, and I intended to at the time but just couldn’t be bothered to after writing 13 versions of the scene already. It will be added at a later date.

I thought about it but then decided it would make everything too much like the Spanish Civil War. The civil war scenario is going to be too short anyway for their to be time for many volunteers to arrive, as Moravia is a much smaller country than Spain.

Yes, apologies for the wait on this, as I mentioned I was away on holiday. I’ve just uploaded an update which has fixed the issue, as well as a few little mistakes here and there, and finally added the save game system, which makes playtesting so so much easier (wish l’d learnt about this before) and will allow you to pick up where you left off. Plus the romance achievements now trigger.

10 Likes

Yeah, if you didn’t, it wouldn’t be a problem, much less for me, given that there are so many great ROs. Was just saying because sometimes a detail like that is enough to avoid some less than stellar reviews :smiley:

Damn, that is great Alex, I usually just go by the code after ending my canon play-through, but that might help me give better feedback concerning the flow of the story. :tada:

Since things are getting more political in real life, I’ve decided to replay this WIP several times - and I’m so glad you updated it! :smile:

I’ve tried both paths this time (never dared to have a fascist MC before) and the fascist path still makes me… very uncomfortable. I did it for the sake of trying out the Falk and Georg romances, but I think it’s been clear from the start I’m a Solidarity gal. :sweat_smile:

Franz is my favourite RO so far. I love his passion and incredible rawness, although I’m afraid he’ll get himself killed one day because of his bad, baaad impulses. My MC is a bit more rational (I hope) and there to keep him out of trouble. Of course not all of it… after all my MC is quite the troublemaker as well! Just goes and gets herself stabbed. Ah, well. Daily bread for rebels.

The only thing I wish had been there would be some kind of “awakening” scene where Franz realizes MC is awake after the stabbing incident and just goes all fluffy and happy. With some tears of joy. Just really heartfelt stuff. :hugs: In general, there are too few “intimate” scenes for my tastes, but it’s only my tastes.

6 Likes

Perspective is something curious, those who play the Solidarity path see Franz him as a close friend or lover.
Now I see him as the guy who stabbed himself to incriminate my MC, let just say he is not one of my favorites right now.

1 Like

The King of Moravia moments before fleeing the country, leaving his children to govern Moravia(Colorized)

4 Likes
A scuffle breaks out between Schneider and the taller of the two greys. The sound of a struggle echos round the empty station.

"I'll sort him," Herta mutters.

"No I'll handle this..." you say, setting off towards them, "
*if helpfranz = true
	It's your turn to have my back."
*if helpfranz = false
	You've been through enough today."
*page_break
As you draw near, the two of them still at it, you call out, "
*if background = "aristo"
	Time for bed little Franz, be a good boy now."
*if background = "middle"
	Play time is over Franz. This isn't your district."
*if background = "working"
	You've got ten seconds you little shit. Get out of here!"

Suddenly, the red lets out a gutteral cry. He staggers backward. The two greys look at each other, pause for a moment, and then run, sprinting out of the station.

You dash over to Schneider, who is now collapsed on the platform.

The rattle of an approaching metro fills your ears. You reach him and turn him onto his back. He looks at you with angry eyes, but can only gasp.

A knife is protruding from his coat, clearly dug into his ribs.

How did you read that as he stabbing himself?

I’m honestly confused, because I’ve never read it that way, far from it. And he honestly hates you when you meet him later on, because he honestly thinks you were the one who stabbed him.

I would actually like @AlexClifford1994’s confirmation regarding this issue, maybe I read the whole scene wrong.

3 Likes

Because there was no one onto him, the MC wasn’t near him, neither were the 2 grey shirts. To me, he knew he was surrounded and did the only thing he could do to escape from a beating or something worse. And Franz does carry a knife with him (Solidarity chapter 2).

3 Likes

The MC was not, but the fascists were. The text even states that the MC hears the sounds of the scuffle between them. And the fact that we are actually stabbed by fascists in the Solidarity path makes the “Franz did it” scenario even more strange, because Alex doesn’t seem to write completely different realities for each path.

I’m quite skeptical but it is possible, I guess we will have to wait for Alex to explain it.

2 Likes

Eh, it reads to me like he got stabbed in the scuffle with the other two greys and the pain didn’t register right away so he doesn’t notice the wound until after you talk to him. And because you’re the last one he sees, he thinks you’re the stabber.

6 Likes

The one who stabs the MC on Solidarity is the smaller one, Franz is scuffing with the bigger one, the smaller is not involved.

Edit: I was wrong, the bigger one is the who stab the MC.

2 Likes

Ok, this is my reading of the scenario, and as the writer of it, I suppose my word holds a little weight…

Whatever side you are playing, on that cold night in February 1935 Franz Schneider and the two anonymous greyshirts, the tall and short one, are on that platform in Moosach, all 3 having had more than a little to drink that night.

Now either you are playing as a Solidarity MC and you are there with Franz, and end up getting stabbed by the taller greyshirt, who carries a switchblade. Or the MC is New Order in which case you are there with Herta at the other end of the platform (why is Herta not there in the Solidarity universe I hear you ask? Because without New Order MC’s role in her life, her parents wouldn’t let her out so late by herself).

Now in the New Order universe, a fight breaks out between the taller greyshirt and Franz. The NO MC goes over with the intention of sorting Franz out. Before he/she gets there Franz is stabbed by the taller grey, who as we know wields a knife. MC goes to help Franz but is caught with the knife in his/her hand. The ambiguity is over whether Franz knows that MC wasn’t the stabber but goes ahead with the story or his hazy recollection of events is genuine.

The point is that whether playing as New Order or Solidarity you get screwed over that night, although your MC is not entirely blameless.

However, I’m not going to say @Urban’s interpretation is wrong. It’s an interpretation of what I have written. All I’ve set out here is what I had in my head when I wrote it.

11 Likes

There’s a save system know? Achieving Victory just became ten times easier.

3 Likes

Nah, I was wrong. If God’d Words say the taller one stabbed Franz then it was what happened.

2 Likes

So like Alex said the ambiguity is now whether your New Order mc believes Franz deliberately framed them or really did have a hazy recollection of events and your mc was literally present at the wrong point at the wrong time… Eye witnesses after all are the most unreliable evidence one can possibly have for a reason, everyone who knows the slightest bit about criminal law, criminology or psychology knows this.

4 Likes

As a student of Criminal Justice, I can say this is undoubtedly true.

1 Like

As someone who watches Law and Order, I concur

2 Likes

As someone who has been a witness I can second this. It’s very hard to keep things straight when it’s all happening at once expecially with all that adrenaline pumping through your system.

From his perspective he was stabbed by a gray shirt and you were the last one he saw. Probably never even noticed the switch. But then again who knows. Memory is a funny thing.

3 Likes

Anyone else feel like the prince is a bit of an ass to an MC with a working class background on the date?

4 Likes