Ultimata (Fantasy WIP)

Jack’s first Soul Weapons were extremly efficient and only in terms of appearance similar to those old firearms. His own Flintlock and Musket could easily outmatch their real life Counterparts in terms of accuracy and firepower. Also, he didn’t had to reload after every shot, since he would use his Soul Energy to constantly create new bullets. To be honest, his first Soul Weapons could have probably even kept up with some modern firearms.

3 Likes

Not sure if you mentioned this before but would soulmancers be able to inflict damage to opponent’s soul. Like mental damage or something simmilar

1 Like

Sadly no, Soulmancer can’t damage the souls of their opponents. The Soul Weapon of a Soulmancer can only inflict physical damage.

However, there are actually some magical arts, which can cause mental damage to others or which give you control over the minds of other beings.

6 Likes

I like the sound of that!

If a soulmancer can create various things with soul creation as long as they have the energy, what would stop a duelist soulmancer from creating a gun similar to what a gunslinger would have and vice versa?

Hmm I thought about it too. I guess you can make a gun if you want but it won’t be your special soul gun but just a normal gun (so it would be a lot less efficient), and also your stats and skills are geared more towards using swords so you won’t be that good with guns.

2 Likes

Yes, you could create firearms as a Duelist via Soul Creation. You could also create combat weapons if you want to. However, as @Frogs said, these weapons would be just normal weapons and no Soul Weapons and since most normal weapons aren’t that effective and partly even useless against non-humans (especially against supernatural races) it wouldn’t help you that much.

Also, there is one thing about the Soulmancer that I forgot to mention. As you already know, all Soulmancer are classified according to the form of their Soulweapon. For example, Caitlyn (the mother of the Gunslinger) has a Sniper Rifle as her Soul Weapon and is classified as a Sniper, while Lina (the mother of the Duelist) has Dual Blades as her Soul Weapon and is classified as a Blade Dancer.
However what I didn’t mentioned is, that every Soulmancer is (besides the weapon classification) also assigned to one of two main groups. You see, there are actually only two main types of Soulmancer. Those who can create close ranged weapons and those who can create long ranged weapons. Sadly, there is no in between. At a later Point in the Story you might be able to change the form of your Soul Weapon, though as a Duelist you would only be able to shape your Rapier into the form of another close ranged weapon (like a Katana, Dual Blades or Gauntlets), while as a Gunslinger you would only be able to shape your Revolver into the form of another long ranged weapon (like a Sniper Rifle, a Shotgun or a Grenade Launcher).

2 Likes

Would it even matter how you shape the gun though? Like you said the revolver can fire shotgun shells, explosive shells and armor piercing bullets. What would be the difference between a shotgun soul weapon and a revolver using shotgun ammo?

Well, you might be able to fire shotgun shells with your Revolver, but the scattering effect wouldn’t be as effective as with an actual Shotgun. The same applies for the other ammunition types. As you said, you could fire explosive shells or armor piercing ammo with your Revolver, but their effects wouldn’t be as effective as with an actual Sniper Rifle or a Rocket/Grenade Launcher.

1 Like

a “nearly” bottomless Grenade Launcher sounds insane.

It would also require lots of energy to generate such a powerful weapon I presume. The bigger and stronger the weapon the more energy required to utilize it.

1 Like

Yes, larger and more powerful weapons would require more soul energy to fully utilize them. For example, for a Rocket Launcher you would have to invest more energy to create matching ammunition, while for a Gatling you would need especially more concentration to be able to constantly generate new bullets.

3 Likes

(Anzio 20mm Rifle)

For all your long range soul reaper needs.

5 Likes

I like the idea of shaping my soulweapon into a scythe and start reaping together with Sophia…:flushed:
Although she probably wouldn’t like it, since her duty caused her so much misery… So I guess even choosing to change your weapon into a scythe would be a bad idea.
Oh well, then it’s gunslinger for me, I guess^^

1 Like

Well, you are partly right. It might actually not be the best idea to shape Lichtblick into the form of a scythe while fighting together with Sophia. She would definitely dislike an action like that, but not because of the miseries caused by her duties.

You see, Reapers are (beside the Soulmancer) the only beings who are able to shape their Soul into the form of a weapon. However, while Soulmancer can alter the form of their weapon almost freely, Reaper possess only a single form for their weapons. Though, this form can vary greatly. Swords, Knives, Lances, Bows, Cleavers, Pistols, to give a few examples.

However, while almost all weapon types are represented, the Scythe is an extremely rare manifestation among the Reapers. You see, the Scythe is Death’s weapon and originally she was the only being who could shape her soul into this unique form. However, those Reaper’s who were seen as worthy in Death’s eyes, gained the privilege to manifest their Soul in form of a Scythe. That’s the reason why having a Scythe as their Soul Weapon is regarded as the highest privilege and honor amongst the Reapers. During the long history of our universe, there were only a handful of Reaper’s who gained this privilege. Right now Sophia is probably one of the few existing Reaper’s who are able to manifest their Soul in form of a Scythe.

This would be the reason why Sophia would strongly dislike the action of changing your Soul Weapon into the form of a Scythe. Even though her duties caused her so much misery, Sophia is still extremly proud of her heritage.

6 Likes

Ohh thats a very cool insight into the lore behind it, thanks for that. :slightly_smiling_face:
Sophia must really have impressed (her mother?) Death, being able to wield a sythe. I’m excited to find out what she did, in order to achieve this privilege :thinking:
Well, I do really love the aesthetic side of a scythe, but have to arrange with Sophias view on it and choose something else^^

EDIT: Resonably funny side note: I always envision the older man from Supernatural when the topic revolves about Death :smiley: Guess I should get used to imagine someone else while playing Ultimata^^

Death from Supernatural

2 Likes

You don’t have to thank me. I love to share the lore of my game with you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, the relation between Death and Sophia is quite unique. Spoiler: Among all Reaper’s Sophia has definitely the closest relation to Death. You see, Sophia is actually Death’s daughter and her only child. For Death Sophia is the most important person in her life and she would probably do everything for her daughter, even break her own rules to protect her.
This is also the reason why Sophia is able to wield a Scythe. Being the child of Death, she inherited this power from her mother and didn’t had to earn it. However, even though she was born with this ability, she still gives her best to prove that she is worthy of this privilege.

By the way, since you brought up this part of how you imagine Death, I thought you might be interested in seeing how she would look like in my game.

Death

8 Likes

Who was Death’s husband/lover? Was it one of the dragons?

No, he wasn’t one of the first Dragons. Death’s husband/lover (and Sophia’s father) was just a ordinary Reaper Death fell in love with. Sadly, the relationship between Death and Sophia’s father didn’t end well.

1 Like

How badly did it end?