Ukraine conflict

So I’m curious as to the global climate of the situation between Russia and the Ukraine, as a us citizen I’ve noticed some concern over the situation, and potential talk of war with Russia Im not sure i would support it. Some of my best freinds are Russian and have family in Russia. The situation does concern me, however i’m curious as to the global opinion of the conflict? The reason i ask on this site is I have noticed that it has a diverse group of writers nationality wise at least

War is never the answer. Without the trillions of dollars spent on killing thousands, billions of pets and humans could be fed.

Doesn’t that depend on the example, maybe not for the Ukraine but if Poland is in danger?
War is never right but at times we must acknowledge it as necessary, though I’d say this is rare and the last necessary war was ww2

There are times when it seems like that’s the only way. This war is just childish and completely foolish, though.

A while back, didn’t Ukraine say they didn’t want military aid? It would seem kind of stupid to give military aid to someone who doesn’t want or need it… We should definitely keep giving economic aid and the such… Personally, I think we should all keep watching the Syria conflict as well because it seems like ever since this Russia-Ukraine thing, we just haven’t been paying attention to them.

This is my “medical opinion” by the way…

@817819 I’d be very surprised if the USA did go to war with Russia: there simply isn’t an appetite for it. It would also plunge the world economy back into recession, which no one wants.

We’re probably looking at a re-run of the war in Georgia a few years ago. Russia will throw its weight around for a bit, while the West wrings its hands and makes tutting noises. It’s not going to escalate into World War 3.

We always have to have our fingers in everyone’s cookie jars. We try and help get complaints help wasn’t needed and we just made it worse. We don’t help and we get chewed out for sitting on our ass and letting people get hurt.

@Scrivener
“We” is too inclusive…none of us did it, the government and soldiers did.

well the only way war can end is if everyone gives up their armies, but…
like thats gonna happen.
There always gonna be that one fuckhead thats gonna get to passionate for what he/she wants

@Samuel_H_Young sorry wasn’t clear but yeah that’s what I meant by we.

I’m going to say war is very unlikely to happen and for these reasons.

1. It will not be the United States vs. Russia, it will be NATO vs. Russia. That is the combined force of over 50 countries vs. one.

2. Diplomatic efforts are making progress though I doubt Crimea will be given back to Ukraine anytime soon.

3. One of the constant fears of both the Russians and the rest of Europe and the US is any cause for nuclear standoff.

4. The Russian economy will further suffer if they attempt to annex any more territory.

And the last but not least is that we all live in an age where warfare among superpowers is that of intimidation(not that it works),diplomacy, sanctions, and insults. War is the absolute last thing that will happen.

*Ahem.* Okay… best impression of Ron Perlman.

War… war never changes. Since the dawn of time, man has waged war for resources, territory, beliefs; any justifiable reason to inflict pain upon their fellow man. This current crisis in Ukraine is just another start to another inevitable conflict. Since the end of WW2, numerous proxy wars have broken out around the world, there was even a war in the Balkans about 20 years ago that was the same reason as this, an ethnic faction or political group wishing to split from the main country.

The people are different but the cause is the same. The location is different but the resulting carnage will be the same. And that… is why war never changes.

*Ahem.*

However, I am an optimist and hopefully this won’t descend into war… But we know what Russia can be like with examples like South Ossetia.

@Taiho- That’s a good impression and you make a good connection with the proxy wars that have been waged in the past, not to mention that war in the Balkans a while back. Your right war never changes and humans do have a certain pull to it. Oh, and your probably right there might be a conflict in the future, be it far or near. Talking about war with Russia, well if its Ukraine vs Russia, that would not be good at all nor a total war with the west and I share your optimism about there being no war at all. Im just saying that the entire situation does not have the right fuel for a “war”. I don’t think Russia nor NATO will want to cause a diplomatic incident that would drag the world into a brutal war.

War with superpowers is supporting one side will the other supports the other side…Leads to no where I think besides an instable government for other countries(Best examples are in the Cold War)

So because nobody wants war with Russia, Russia should be allowed to do what they want since they know the west will be to scared to do anything

I’m leaning on the believe that the EU and the USA started this. When they loudly proclaimed and supported the Maidan movement and the ouster of the Yanukovich Gov’t, they probably didn’t expect the Russians nor the pro-Moscow east from pushing back or doing something. They probably expected Orange Revolution 2.0.

@Batgirl916 Thus is the philosophy of Putin

@God_of_Demonz Unfortunately. I just hope he doesn’t go after the rest of Eastern Europe

I think Putin is in a tough position, and he saw an opportunity and took it.

You have to remember, Crimea is majority ethnic Russian, and it has a significant Russian naval base.

On the flip side, Ukraine is moving steadily towards membership in the EU. Russia has long sought a “warm-water port”. Crimea’s access to the oceans is still controlled by the Bosphorus, but that is a negotiable problem.

Taking a province that is already majority ethnic Russian and that has a Russian installation is a sort of no-brainer. Any self-determination referendum by the residents will pass. And while Ukraine joining the EU will still suck for Russia, now Ukraine can’t end the lease on the naval installation or otherwise put a squeeze on Russia’s access to the sea.

You have to remember, the Baltic states were the first to abandon the USSR, and they joined NATO, complicating Russia’s access to the Baltic. Ukraine’s separation is a similar problem for the Mediterranean (and for which EU membership means further reduction of influence/pressure on Russia).

Of course, Turkey (which controls the Bosphorus), is also trying to join the EU, which will be a different geopolitical challenge for Russia.

I think the rest of the fuckery is Putin seeing how far he can take it. If the western part of Ukraine wants to join the EU, fine, but he’s going to take as much of the eastern part as he can get away with before that happens. It seems, though, that he won’t be able to take much more that Crimea. Not without actual armed conflict, which I don’t think he wants.

@BatGirl916
If Putin thinks he can get away with it, and it serves Russia’s national interests, he’ll keep taking bits of his neighbours’ territory until the perceived NATO encirclement of Russia is broken (and who knows when that will be) or until the West threatens him with a big enough stick for him to back down. It’s nothing we haven’t seen before from a hundred different determined nationalist strongmen before.

Considering the state of the Russian Federation’s conventional forces and the fact that Putin (like his predecessors) is far too sane to trigger a nuclear war, I’m pretty sure that the concrete threat of physical force next time he pulls something like this will probably be enough to make him back down. From a realist standpoint (as in the school of international relations) When a national leader acts as if he’s stronger than he is (as Putin is doing), declaring that “war is never the answer” is the absolute worst thing you can possibly do, even if it is for the noblest or most far sighted of reasons (Neville Chamberlain, looking at you here).

As for the Ukraine, it’s a fait accompli. Russia has already voiced a conditional public objection to the insurgency in the eastern part of the country, and it wouldn’t be the first time that Russian foreign policy has sacrificed foreign sympathisers for its own, more pressing policy goals. Putin has what he wants in the Ukraine, and what he wants now is a relative calm for a few more years, so he can go back to buffing his public image with more shirtless tiger-hunting, and do the same thing to some other country (Maybe he’ll re-annex Belarus? On the other hand, he’s still got plenty of NATO-aligned neighbours to worry about.) when everything settles.