Tyrant Dawn - a post-apoc Dictator sim

While not an AI, something inappropriately high-tech is still in this decidedly low-tech story.

You know that you’re different from other people. Normal people don’t have a hole in
the back of their skull. You reach for the cold ring of metal implanted into your head,
and the aperture wide and deep enough to fit your whole pinky finger in. You feel
nothing as you try to nudge around the metal fixture. Measuring the length of your
little finger, it has to go almost halfway straight into your brain.

It’s weird. At least, you’re not a mutant, right? It’s good that it’s easily hidden by your
long unkempt hair.

Well @bluepencil think about the infinity blade series there is a hidden ending where the deathless are revealed to be aliens. Or for example take A Prince of Thorns, the builders sound crazily high-tech in a low tech setting, it still worked out though.

Thanks. I’ve decided to look at some reviews of A Prince of Thorns, and while the subject is grim, the style of its prose certainly looks interesting.

More work has been done, it’s up to Chapter Two now. While this is still the intro, even I’m feeling it’s kind of railroad-y.

I wonder if this approach, defining the Tyrant as a distinct person separate from the reader, is stretching things out to tedium. @cilvercat and I met at a writing workshop, so we’ve structured it into ‘scene’ chapters, tied to locations, as if a novel.

… ah, what bad timing. November is NaNoWriMo. Maybe doing this counts, even if it’s not something that can be made into paper so easily.

Hey, this should totally count for NaNoWriMo. How many NNWM novels ever end up on paper anyway? :slight_smile:

Added a treat for you IE users. :slight_smile:

There should be a nifty BGM now. Can you hear it in Firefox or Chrome?

@bluepencil Yes, you can. It’s older versions of IE (below 9) that’ll have trouble, if anything. I like the CSS changes too, just the right amount of tweaking to pique my interest but not distract from the text. Keep it up :smiley:

EDIT: Tagging random people here… Sleep time.

In my tests; it’s not autoplaying on Chrome, while Firefox is nagging me to install Quicktime. :frowning:

Oh, yes, you will need the Quicktime plugins for both Chrome and Firefox.
A .mp3 or .Ogg file is probably a better choice for your audio.

Tried it with mp3. Firefox still demands quicktime.

Ah, finally autoplaying with Chrome. Loop remains borked, though - which works just fine on IE.

Incidentally, this is the code I’m using:
*<*EMBED SRC=Arpeggio.mp3 AUTOSTART=“true” WIDTH=144 HEIGHT=60 LOOP=“true”>
*<*!-- -->
*<*BGSOUND SRC=music35.wav LOOP=-1>
*<*/body>
*<*/html>

edit:`
Oh. So that’s why my posts keeps getting eaten. This forum strips out html.

how do i block and counterattack that guy who throws a punch at the PC?

EDIT: found out how never mind

@bluepencil
AFAIK Firefox plays .ogg first without additional plugin required.
So far I use .ogg for FF (also seems to work fine with Chrome) and .wma for IE, would love to know the workaround on this if any. I’d pass .wav altogether for its uncompressed filesize.

EDIT
What does loop=-1 do exactly?

Infinite loop in IE. I had to use wav for maximum compatibility across all browsers. Trying out midi now.

… how do you do yellow text quotes?

Ah. So that’s how it’s done… the loop attribute in audio tag indeed doesn’t get the media to play more than once on IE. Thanks!

Use (code) forum tag to make them quotes, like in html. Replace ( ) with < >

Cross-browser compatibility… such a little bugger inn’it :smiley:
Thought you’d be interested that the size of two tracks (ogg+wma or ogg+mp3) would still be less than a single wav file. I’m just trying to do players a little favor with the bandwidth :smiley:

Unimportant post

Usagi !_!

@bluepencil Use <*code> or <*pre> to show HTML elements. (<*pre> preserves spacing, while <*code> doesn’t).

@bluepencil You should make use of audio tags to support modern browsers, and use objects/flash and embeds as fallbacks for older ones.

@SengokuKronos Igasu ¡_¡

Darn you Igasu claaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Usagi !_!

Seems to be some problem with the “gender” variable in the beginning of second chapter?

Thanks. It’s been fixed, and the next major update should be on Wednesday or Sunday.

Now that the sound issue has been solved, image embedding is conflicting with the status bar. Should we timeskip straight to the political simulator part with a short ‘rise to power’ or would you readers endure a slower development?

While the whole Karavaniir culture serves as a vehicle for worldbuilding, we’re concerned that it slows down the intro and unfairly limits the player to a child’s perspective.

Personally, I was rather dissatisfied with how Vendetta (the direct inspiration for this) offered but a page or two of background, but it is easily put aside when compared to the depth of other choices in the game.

We’d like at least three pages and some additional decisions for each possible teenage lifepath. The background influences faction relationships, and how many responses are available.

Due to how factions may naturally be opposed to each other, sometimes the Tyrant in favoring one faction too much may end up being left with none but hostile responses to a conversation.

Personality traits set during the childhood intro influence which faction can be joined at the start.

Belligerence, for example, will tend toward the military. A particularly high charisma or acumen stat may help at being taken out of even an Enslaved background. Cruelty and Pragmatism helps in a Bandit or Street-rat background. And so on…

@bluepencil - I for one have no issues with either approach. On one hand a short rise to power is I suppose more mysterious and you may be able to play into that a bit in future chapters. On the other letting the player dictate how he grew and rose into power allows for a longer journey and more personal experience, with less scope for surprising the player but more scope for seeing a direct later effect of their actions in game.

I’m leaning towards supporting the longer journey myself. As long as it doesn’t drag the story out for the sake of dragging it out then I can’t see myself getting bored personally!