Turncoat Chronicle (political fantasy) - UPDATED DEC 7 '18

low-fantasy
nonbinary-inclusive
gender-choice

TURNCOAT CHRONICLE DEMO VERSION 0.4 is up and running! The link is same as ever, listed at the very top of the thread. Here it is again for convenience: demo link.

This update contains two additional time units, the first of which is a dynamic scene with multiple options. I call this the down to business menu. It will appear several times throughout chapter 2, and allow you to explore the story’s side avenues. Do not that old saves will not work with this version, due to some important restructuring.

@ me for game-breaking bugs. Otherwise, enjoy! If you want to leave feedback but aren’t sure what to say, tell me what skills and paths you hose for your MC, and why! I love hearing about that.

AAAAAHHHHHHH it is here!!!

This is so intriguing (get it? cause… intrigue… yeah…), I’m loving it!

Big Mood.

I quickly went through the new demo twice. First, I enjoyed the new conversation with Sheyer and writing the letter to MC’s father.

However, I noticed that both times, despite one MC being rather secretive and the other more straightforward about our plans, when I tried talking to Lux it just said I don’t trust him enough yet. If that option does eventually allow you to talk to Lux, then it might be better to wait until you actually can talk to him for it to appear, or have it appear but be unable to select it. Because on one hand, that lack of trust makes sense for the character, but on the other it feels like all that choice is there to do is oppose and undermine the player’s decision and perception of the MC.

As for the path of the MC, I started with the MC being compassionate, but I couldn’t help but choose the more ruthless options as I use Lux to stop Morun. :laughing:

I’ve met my writing goals for the morning, so here are some quick replies. @eury, don’t worry, you’re not forgotten, I will want to give you a longer reply, later on.

@expectedoperator

Summary

A bone of contention. The level of choice in the game right now is working as designed, and I’m not likely to change it. There might be some specific places where I would consider adding some choice, but on the whole, the text is meant to respond to the several large choices you make at major plot junctions.

Specifically the addition of the word “Papa” was meant to bookend the use of the invented word “Noni” to describe a nonbinary parent. I wanted to make it clearer that this was intended to be an endearment and not a given name, so I gave the contrast to clarify. You’ll find the MC addresses their father a number of different ways, based on the context of the scene.

I’m glad you enjoyed the story more than not. I hope you keep enjoying it.

@Norilinde

Summary

Chargen is a closed story segment and I’m unlikely to change it at this point.

I will consider your second point further, but I’d like to point out in return that the clothing budget of a prince or princess is negligible in size compared to the expenses of the palace household as a whole, let alone the kingdom’s treasury. Household management is generally not one of the skills that the Suthis heir was meant to be schooled in. But like I said, I will consider it as an opportunity to tweak trust variables a little more.

@Jeeshadow1 & @Avid_reader & @Perom, I am glad that you continue enjoying my work! Seeing people get excited about updates is honestly so encouraging.

Regarding the Lux dialog option in version 0.4: it’s done the way it is due to a technical restriction that I haven’t found a way around. Successfully completing this interaction is dependent only on the trust meter. If it’s not high enough, you’ll be able to access the same dialog later in the game. If you select it and find it closed off, it should lead you right back to the choice menu, where you can select another option. If it doesn’t work like that, please let me know because that would be a pretty bad bug!

I only started this just a few minutes ago and I find this has a GoT feel to it. One thing that I noticed that the first parts were too rushed in my view like meeting up with the former heir and the plan to create a fake heir.

For one, I feel like I am placing my plans one after another without observation and info gathering. In my view, I prefer to have a situation to observe and have dig up some info on the heir and on the fake Heir before proceeding to have a drink with the heir or meeting up with Lux to assess them.

Another thing that I noticed that I publicly allow my MC to drink with two guards. I don’t think our dear father’s spymaster are not on a lookout that missing heir, regardless of they are real or not. Is it just too early to show our hands at this point of the story?

Another note that the MC seems to have some predetermined personality. I do understand that it is hard to a MC in a blank state but I felt not much difference at the start even though I chose a compassionate or ruthless one. I know it’s too early but I felt that most scenes, the MC has their own set of personalities. Is this intended?

I really the story so far but I just felt very restricted throughout the demo.