PLAY THE DEMO HERE!
Your father, the King of Koth, took his throne by force when you were a small child. His enemies call him the Usurper King. As the eldest of his two children and his natural heir, you have always acted as though his enemies are also your own enemies. Now, however, the missing heir of the king your father deposed has finally resurfaced. As the current legal heir, they are a threat to your position… unless you choose to make them your ally, instead.
Turncoat Chronicle is a story of schemes and intrigue, loyalty and betrayal. Protect your father’s legacy at all costs, or turn on him and take his throne. Make allies of enemies, and then betray them. Conspire to grasp power for yourself, or for the greater good of Koth. Fall in love… or merely pretend to.
Next Update: version 0.4 continues chapter 2, and has just been released.
As of 8-FEB-19:
- Word count: 53K pure, 66K with code.
- 2/3 complete at a rough assessment.
- Chapter 2 is in progress.
- Chapter 3 is in outline.
- June 22: version 0.1. Character creation + chapter 1.
- July 10: version 0.2, expanded chapter 1. Bug fixes, sexual orientation code, and new conversations. 22K words.
- August 30: version 0.2.1. Pronoun choice, genderfluid MC, MC appearance.
- September 16: version 0.3, beginning of chapter 2.
- December 7: version 0.4, continuing chapter 2, with some refactoring.
- February 8: version 05, closed beta.
- Choose your MC’s gender, sexual and romantic orientation, appearance, skills, personality, and personal name.
- MC can be female, male, nonbinary or genderfluid. Nonbinary MCs can choose their pronouns and form of address. Genderfluid MCs can choose pronouns at the beginning of every game day.
- There are three routes for solving the basic conflict of the game: the Suthis/Kidia dynastic grudge.
- Variety in personality and moral choices. You can be ruthlessly ambitious, pragmatic, conscientious…
- Choose to subvert the Usurper King’s legacy, or remain loyal to your father.
- Romance was and remains a very minor theme of the game. However, as the game progresses you can choose for your MC to fall in genuine love with their prospective consort.
- Orust Suthis, the Usurper King of Koth. Twenty years ago he slew the royal family of Koth and ascended to the throne. A charismatic leader and cunning tactician, and all around dangerous man. Ruthless to his enemies and defensive of his family. Your father.
- Harim Suthis, the King’s nonbinary spouse and Royal Consort of Koth. Known for their wit, charm, and elegance, they provide a diplomatic counterpoint to the King’s ruthless ambition. Your other parent (“Noni”), and primary caretaker in your youth.
- Iral and Valini Kidia, the late King and Queen of Koth, victims of your father’s ambition.
- (Alme/Holyn/Morun) Kidia, the last surviving member of the Kidian dynasty, recently come of age, and come to reclaim their birthright. Your enemy, maybe.
- Crow, a mercenary, bodyguard, and all-around mentor to the young Kidia heir. Formerly a loyalist of King Iral. Your enemy, definitely.
- (Tamirah/Teven) Lux, a bright and promising young member of the palace guard, sworn to protect you and your family with their life. Potential asset in the fight against Kidia.
- Sheyer, your trusty, if somewhat mysterious personal spymaster, who first brings you news of the reappearance of the lost Kidia heir.
- Others mentioned but not appearing: your younger brother Belinon, your cousin Kady, assorted Suthis and Razath relations.
- Bit parts listed in the in-game character guide, such as lesser staff members in the palace.
- Kill the Kidia heir. Fight for the continuity of the Suthis dynasty, remain loyal to your father, and keep himk on the throne of Koth. Kidia and their guardian, however, may prove more difficult prey than you imagine.
- Seduce or befriend the Kidia heir with the intent of forming a Suthis/Kidia marriage alliance. This will undoubtedly require you to turn on your father and abet in his death, since young Kidia lost their entire family in infancy, and is hungry for revenge. Between the two of you, you can probably take the wily old fox, right?
- Replace the Kidia heir. Solve the Kidia problem once and for all, but without capitulating power to a shared rule. Read chapter one of the demo to understand what this means.
- My World Anvil account contains some additional details about the kingdom of Koth and the world around it.
- I keep a Pinterest board full of eclectic sources of inspiration.
- I also have a thematic YouTube playlist which I use when I write and outline. It’s an ongoing project, prone to changes.
- Zinc Alloy Games, my game dev Tumblr, where you can send me any asks that are slightly off-topic, headcanons, worldbuilding, fun facts about characters… Anything you want to hear about the game.
- The actual game demo, of course.
Questions and Answers
“Will there be romance in the game?” Sort of. If you choose to seduce the Kidia heir to get close to them, you will have the option to allow the seduction to turn into falling in love. There will not be multiple love interests to choose from, and romance and sexuality remain a minor theme of the story.
“Can I have my MC stay loyal to their father, the King?” Yes, that is one of the planned routes. It’s also possible to betray him for the Kidia heir, then turn around and betray the heir and side with your father again.
“Do I have to kill the King?” There are ways to avoid it, but as the game is planned right now, killing the King is a pretty big deal and hard to avoid. Which is not to say that you necessarily have to kill your dad yourself. After all, your new ally has ample cause for revenge…
“Why can’t I just knife the secret Kidia heir first thing?” The Doylist answer is that then there would be no plot left for the game.
“Can I set my character’s sexual/romantic orientation, even if I’m not romancing anyone?” There is a question regarding orientation, which can pop up in several places in the story.
“Is the royal consort gonna just stand by and let me kill their husband?” You’ll get several opportunities to discuss the matter with the consort in depth, in chapter 2.
PLAY THE DEMO HERE!