Trust Levels Issue + Full Tutorial

I’ve turned up this thread, which implies a recent-ish change…

Basically, they had already had limits on posts during a user’s first day, and on June 14th was thinking of extending this to Trust Level 0 in general, which, on July 2nd, they did.

4 Likes

Oh wow, yeah, that is recent.

@RETowers Are these new limitations something that should go into the trust levels topic?

2 Likes

Am aware, and have issued a bug report on one thing already myself. (On the flag bit, if someone flags Discobot with the “Something Else” type of flag, it breaks the system, generates an actual flag that I have to resolve, along with bugging me with some spam. Discourse’s response to me telling them that this happens was to tell me this happens, and it only works if someone uses any other kind of flag. [No there’s no typo in that sentence.])

That said, changed the bot’s text to append a couple of notes so that people will at least be aware of what’s going on.

We like our discussions friendly, and we need your help to keep things civilized. If you see a problem, please flag to privately let the author, or our helpful staff, know about it.

:imp: I wrote something nasty here

I guess you know what to do. Go ahead and flag this post as Inappropriate!

(Note that any flag type except “Something Else” will work, but flagging this as “Something Else” will mean I won’t be able to see that you’ve flagged it!)

(Also note that if you haven’t reached the appropriate Trust Level, you won’t be able to flag this. If that’s the case I recommend you spend a little more time more time browsing the forum before returning to complete the tutorial. I’m sorry I can’t tell your trust level, I’m only a simple bot.)

And the warning:

Oh no, my nasty post hasn’t been flagged yet. :worried: Can you flag it as inappropriate using the flag ? Don’t forget to use the show more button to reveal more actions for each post.

(Note that if you’re not yet at least Trust Level 1 you won’t be able to see the flag button. If that’s the case I recommend you go and browse the forums a little more before returning to complete the tutorial.)

Don’t want to change that in case I or Discourse change the limit. (Also, I don’t consider the exact number very important. When you run out, you run out. It doesn’t really impact use of the forums. :woman_shrugging:) That said the standard is 50 IIRC.

It’s an intro. I think linking the Trust Levels right in the opening is information overload.

There’s actually supposed to be a link to DM there. I wonder what happens if you try to use it? Does it let you bypass the requirements? Probably not. I can put another warning.

Consider replying to more people

You’ve already replied %{count} times to @%{reply_username} in this particular topic.

Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.

If you’d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length, consider sending them a direct message.

Note that if your Trust Level isn’t high enough, you won’t be able to DM them. If they are a long term member of the community, they’ll be able to DM you though.

Also, I raised the threshold for this back up to 2 sequential replies.

The the or is the only or. Everything else is an and.

Ah, I see where the confusion is now. The or is the first one listed (even though it was a last minute change, so it didn’t really process as such when I wrote it). I’ve changed it, it now reads:

I think that everything else being an and should be understandable without further clarification now.

Okay, to the lockout, it’s it’s only the first 24 hours, and separate from trust levels. (The tooltip in the admin panel says The maximum number of replies a user is allowed to create in the 24 hour period after creating their first post). IDK if you get a warning or what the warning is. I’m inclined to up it (which it say I’ve upped the limit to 25 in the first day). It opens the window a bit more for griefing, but I’ve also changed our forums so that there’s a lot more tools and responses to griefing in other ways, so I don’t really consider that too big a problem.

Lets see, the New user limits are fast enough that I don’t consider them important enough to mention (again, information overload), especially because a user that isn’t trying to grief, or that isn’t just spamming shouldn’t hit those limits except in unusual circumstances. First day user limits now mentioned in both trust levels 0 and 1. I don’t think any other bits are important to mention?

And no, feedback like this really helps me refine how the forums work. The more people tell me about things, the more I know.

13 Likes

Thanks for the reply! It was comprehensive, and pretty much addressed all my concerns. Especially having the 24 hour lockout noted (and higher!) will hopefully prevent anyone else from headbutting it like I did.

1 Like

No, I don’t think anything else in that list reallh concerns members in any way. There’s the suspension information but I don’t see why anyone needs to be privy to that, if they follow the rules there’s no reason for them to ever experience that.

But thank you for addressing this. You’re right in that some of this may be information overload to new users, but it is handy to at least understand what’s going on if a new user is locked out again for a reason that wasn’t listed before.

Thank you again for taking the time to deal with this. :blush:

2 Likes

I think they may have changed it so that Trust Level 0 is limited in topics and posts even outside the initial day, but I’m having a hard time understanding what they actually changed :dizzy_face: I’m not sure if this suggestion was implemented or just discussed, and I am having a headache of a time trying to figure out what’s actually supposed to be the case for Trust Level 0 right now :confounded:

I’m going off of this post:

Additionally, I was just noticing, from the locked Trust Level thread…

The linked thread on Meta Discourse appears to have become defunct fairly recently. While that does in turn contain a link to a blog post, the thread in question says it will automatically be deleted in five months, so I think it would make sense to replace the old link with the new one.

2 Likes

Adding on to this, there seems to be a bug in promoting users from basic to member. I’ve checked the criteria from the new user trust level post, and you can view my account to see that I’ve met all of them, but I still haven’t become a member.

I think it only checks every day or so, so if you’ve only just crossed the threshold, it’s possible it just hasn’t caught up yet. If this has been the case awhile, though, then there probably is something wrong.

This should be something @RETowers can check for you.

I’ve met all the requirements for two days now, so I don’t think it’s because of time of checking.

Should be fixed, although it may take a day to kick in, I’ll drop a reminder for me to check then.

Edit: Nvm, I broke the thing I had to check, but you should have it now anyways.

4 Likes

Just curious while everyone’s taking about level requirements, do you have to have all the criteria on this list to stay on level 3 or just some of them? (I noticed I was back on level 2 the other week.)

You have to meet all the criteria.

That could be it. I doubt I’ve been reading 25% of the posts on the forum lately due to lack of time.

1 Like

Just pick one of the mega threads and skim-read the new posts there, even if you don’t follow closely. Just flag any shipping wars or mime battles etc … :two_hearts:

2 Likes

lol ok. I’m honestly not particularly bothered that I’m on level 2, I more just curious as I didn’t realise it was all the criteria that needed to be met. But good point, I could go on a shipping wars hunt through some of the the mega threads at some stage :smile:

2 Likes

@moderators I would have DMd you guys directly, but I don’t have that capability yet. I saw on the trust level thread that it is supposed to update 48 hours after you complete the requirements. I have completed all the requirements for Level 1, and all but 1 of the requirements for Level 2, but it has been 49 hours and I’m still at Level 0. Is there a reason for this or is it just being slow?

1 Like

Try it now, your trust level got locked.

You can probably guess the reason for that and we don’t need to rehash the issue.

Fresh start and all that, welcome back to the forums and I hope we can all move forward.

3 Likes

Ya, I was able to guess that. Thanks for the quick response.

3 Likes

Welcome back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I’m glad to be back. :grin:

1 Like