Tropes and stories you hate

Simple reason, they’re shiny and pretty and a good shorthand for MacGuffin-ness. They’re also popular in cartoons on both sides of the Pacific (She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Steven Universe, My Little Pony, Sailor Moon) for this reason. For cartoons, they also make easy merch.

4 Likes

I don’t know why, but I’ve come to hate the trope of a big intimidating guy have a squeaky pre-pubescent voice. I think a better version of this trope is the big dude that speaks all sophisticated and quotes poets and philosophers (basically Keith Lee or Beast).

1 Like

Overtly gritty protagonist for the sake of overtly gritty protagonist, it feels like there’s always some sort of looming cloud over a lot of HG/COG protagonists, where everything the protagonist loves (ex: their dreams, village, family and loved ones) just burns into ashes or dies for the sake pushing a sad MC out into the world for some kind of revenge or heroic fantasy story where they go off their handrails with some super special gift to save the world.

I get it. The protagonist needs something to harden themselves up, push the plot forward and grow but dang does it really have to start with our home village turning into a PTSD ridden warzone?

For once it’d be nice if a journey started out of fun yet had it’s own share of creative hardships, instead of burning sad family I’m now angry must fight inner and outer demons everyday rah.

12 Likes

Yeah no for me I do not like slice of life, it has nothing to do with genre just my personal taste. Like if a story does not have a strong driving force of a goal which is interesting then I’m gonna be bored. I also don’t like court intrigue (I think that’s how it’s spelt) and dealing aristocracy, politics, romance and all that stuff. Like it’s great if they are there otherwise I wouldn’t be able to enjoy a lot of ifs but I’m a simple guy just give me a stick and I will wack whoever needs to be wacked to high heaven and back

1 Like

This is exactly why we need more games like Tally Ho and Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale. Plenty of creative hardships here, with a distinct focus on the (hilariously) “creative”. :eyes:

7 Likes