Tropes and stories you hate

That’s just sad. Like, if the bad guy goes “I was the one who gave you that sword”, you should definitely be able to go “Thanks, it’s really sharp, lemme show you” repeated stabbing noises

12 Likes

I think it was originally meant as a subversion but morphed into a cliche of its own.
Speaking of, last time I’ve seen it was in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Where not only you can side with the villain, but it’s an objectively good choice to do so (if not best but it depends on your tastes for endings). You can also persuade the villain to sacrifice themselves thinking them handing you powers was a peachy idea and a success.
So as long as the game allows for such flexibility I think it’s fine. It’s more the execution of that trope that’s often formulaic.
“Don’t you feel bad your powers come from evil?” is the dumbest guilt trip when the game also insists you use them to kill some one dimensional bad guy.

2 Likes

Hm, I haven’t played the full game or any part of the sequel, so I could have misinterpreted something, but doesn’t Manerkol give you your powers in TSSW?

Yeah, it was meant as a subversion of the “chosen one” trope, but that’s one’s so rarely used now that it’s just become a cliche in itself.

WOTR was a bit of a mess in my opinion, especially as it relates to the villain and the power reveal. That was actually my inspiration for the line about how the plot changes from a journey of self-discovery into “You’re an abyss spawn! Now kill the villain!” I played a cleric with angel powers and got the thrill of everyone telling me my powers were evil, up to and including the gods themselves. A little awkward for me. I quit the game before the ending but, I have a hard time believing that siding with the villain is the best decision. I know it results in you being the most powerful that way, so it’s good if that’s all your character wants out of life.

But that’s not the type of character I tend to play.

That’s true of basically everything listed in this topic, for me at least. It could be good if written well, but often it’ll be executed in a really formulaic way.

I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure he tried to stop you from getting the soul stones. But I haven’t played the second game, so, who knows?

Huh. My interpretation was that he needed you to awaken the stone and gain its power before he could use it. I could definitely be wrong though. It’s possible that he could have awoken it first if he had found it first.

That whole thing of people turning on you for it is actually very quickly subverted. If you’re ok with spoilers, since I also played Angel and it was my favorite MP so far:

Your MP squad disobeys the God, two of them saying they follow a different God and the paladins both decide they’re still following her doctrine by disobeying her. Targona herself has been injected with a dose of abyssal essance and she comes to terms with it during act 5 and Lariel will just follow MC wherever they want to go because poor guy’s traumatized.
At the end of your MP questline the God comes back to talk to you, listens to their arguments and admits they were wrong (which they don’t on other MPs), and offers you a place in Heaven after your job is done. You don’t have to take her up on it.
Also Targona works really hard to make you feel like the Heaven has your back by becoming your advisor (because what happens to Hand is open ended) and inviting all sorts of angels over.

As for whatever siding with the villain is the best decision…
Here are your choices:

Ascend into demi-godhood alone or with companions without the villain
Ascend with your companions and the villain (and then you can double cross her or not)

And all that is very good but some normal endings can feel better than the pure power fantasy ascending is: for example Angel gets to go to Deskari’s layer and kick his ass for good

Act 5 is a rushed mess in general but they did that part right at least

2 Likes

Like I said, I quit the game, maybe I’ll finish it someday but I lost all interest in the story. So, I don’t mind spoilers

But yeah, that’s interesting, I’m glad you can remain an angel without being shunned by all the denizens of Heaven. As that would kind of defeat the purpose of being one yourself.

Yeah, that’s basically what I thought. That it’s better for the power fantasy aspect, you objectively end up the most powerful in that ending. But it’s not really what I personally care about in IF. Kingmaker Spoiler: Like in Kingmaker the Lantern King offers you immortality at the end, but I wouldn’t call it the best ending, just an option for one.

That said. I actually do like that you can double-cross the villain, so you’re not forced to help her to achieve that ending. Or that you don’t have to accept the godhood thing at all. I was personally hoping, during my first playthrough, for a chance to join the angels in Heaven instead.

But anyway, we’re getting a little off-topic. Thanks for the information though, maybe I’ll try the story again someday.

1 Like

I didn’t realize I wouldn’t like this, and maybe it’s just not usually done well, but childhood friends really annoy me. Not even just as a romance option, but just them existing at all. I feel absolutely zero connection to these characters because I don’t as the reader know them, even though the MC does. And for some reason I’m supposed to have been friends with them regardless of their personality. Much of the time they’re people I would never be friends with.

7 Likes

**I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: The illusion of choice. It needs no further explanation but I feel like ranting so I’m gonna do it using Space Anastasia (not the real name).

The character whose father is a literal space tyrant who caused the suffering and death of innocents and had his people live in poverty while he thrived in his golden palace gets assassinated along with the royal family but MC survives, although loses their memories. They are then found by a group of mercenaries who greatly suffered because of the king and were rescued. Details are key parts of their story arc, so I’ll skip them but just know it was BAD.

So yeah, Mc then remembers everything, and the game gives you the choice to be apathetic/cold saying your father, a literal dictator, deserved his death which let’s be honest he did.

They tell you he’s your father and you don’t mean it. No. I do. I clicked on the thing.

I mean what I said. Let me mean what I said. And this goes on for ages.

15 Likes

I don’t know what Space Anastasia is (I’m guessing that’s not the actual name of the game since I can’t find any such game), but there are two ways to blur spoilers:

1. Highlight the text you want to blur. Click the gear in the top right of the text box. Click “Blur Spoiler.”

2. Type “spoiler” (without the quotes) in brackets (these ones [ and ]) before the text, then again after the text, but with a forward slash before “spoiler” (but after the open bracket).

1 Like

Agreed. Many times they’re either overly bubbly and cheerful or very sarcastic and crack jokes at every opportunity. Either would annoy me until I’m at wits’ end. It also seems to be a very common trend among these “childhood friend” characters where they ignore personal boundaries and feel the need to stick their noses into everything.

It’s especially bad when the author tries to force the friendship onto you, and then punish you or make you seem like a complete jerk when you tell that character off.

2 Likes

I actually feel the exact opposite. They’re usually my go to RO. MY least favorite is the villain who’s a complete ass the whole time but in like, a sexy way, so people lust after them and want them as an RO.

@N_K Tell me about it. That sounds like the most infuriating example of the trope I’ve ever heard. Especially since one of MY least favorite tropes is being pressured to spare the villain for any reason. Double points for “if you kill them, you’ll be just like them” as if sins transfer to you from the person you killed like fucking Highlander.

Forced redemption arcs are another one. Don’t make me hate someone for the whole story and have them be redeemed randomly after giving me two seconds of tragic backstory.

13 Likes

I’ve noticed the trend that your childhood friend tends to be “militantly rebellious prankster” which I absolutely do not want in a friend, at all, ever.

2 Likes

Sounds like Andromeda Six to me, but of course there could be another one.

2 Likes

i can see why that would be frustrating. having the game give you a choice, only to completely throw that shit away and force something else is very fucking annoying. i think i remember a scene from that. if it is from andromeda six, can you tell me which chapter it appears and to whom we say this too? (if you remember of course) i have a vague recollection of it and i think we either talked to this about june, damon or calderon but i might be mistaken. id like to reread that part. cause i dont remember it being like that, i might be wrong since i have shit memory

Slice of life + harem + comedy.

Not the genres/tropes on their own (with the exception of harem, I hate it) but combining those 3 together makes up a story that I will probably not enjoy consuming, If I ever did.

Bonus hate if the main protagonist has the personality of a stale breakfast cracker with love interests who has less depth and dimension than a straight line. Or worse, when they’re actually more thought out and well written compared to the protagonist.

6 Likes

Thank you the game is on itch io and is called Andromeda six, it’s pretty good but Mc gets on my nerves especially when they go ‘‘I bet you’re happy he’s dead!!!111!1!’’ to a guy who was subjected to inhumane experiments throughout his entire life, was not even given a name by his parents and witnessed his brother DIE as a child (thanks btw)

1 Like

Quoting myself from nearly a month ago because Gray Eyes of Death was just released and reignited my hatred of this.

Killian is a terrible person. I would not ever have been friends with them. Do not tell me they’re my childhood best friend.

2 Likes

while i wouldnt agree that so much as full blown hate them, i do agree that killian does not really feel like a childhood friend. seems like a lot of the so called childhood friends are lacking the feeling of actually being a childhood friend. also kinda hate how they’re the overly cheery troublemaker friend all the time. i guess ive just gotten used to it and have developed indifference to it

1 Like

Yeah, like… I don’t know if that’s the only time I notice it, or it’s actually really common, but why tf are they always an overly cheery troublemaker? I don’t look for either of those qualities in a friend. Do most people??

2 Likes