Totem Force [Released!]

i would choose both, but I need more of this robot in my life

1 Like

Damnā€¦was thinking about making my own Super Sentai game after Iā€™m done with Carebanet Girls but you beat me to the punch. There is a giant robot right?

1 Like

Could always pull inspiration from other 90s shows

and so on.

Edit: had to add one more because of; Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Sentai is a genre that has a lot of diversity, and cross-overs. You could always draw more inspiration from Kamen Rider to give it a slightly different flavor.

I could but itā€™s not what I want to do. Rider-esque heroes are too similar to standard Western heroes for what I had in mind. Donā€™t worry about it though. Iā€™ve got plenty of other ideas to work on anyways. Also this is what I thought of when I read about the armor type that the character was wearing.

Iā€™m ashamed that no one brought this one up.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll probably be going for the more serious monsters generally, but there may be one or two watermelons in thereā€¦ I will also be drawing inspiration from multiple sources, not just Sentai Rangers (and depending on the players choices, it may get quite dark).

2 Likes

Out of all the 90ā€™s shows Iā€™m appalled no one has mentioned the VR troopers! Also I plan to name my team ā€œteam gurrenā€ and have the 'who do you think I am kick" since there has never been a more manly man

1 Like

So back on the on the topic of costumes, and our teammates. We obviously arenā€™t all gonna be the same color, as Sentai teams are a rainbow of colors. Though I think the MC, aka the leader, should have a slightly different costume design from them. Maybe a something classic like a small scarf, or have everyone have a slightly different helmet design?

I love you for reminding me of myou childhood :cry: a tear in memory of more innocent days.

Wait how dark? Dark dark, silly dark?
Do you mean like ā€œGuys, we accidentally killed a lot of people!ā€ dark.
ā€œGuys, the government/evil corporation is experimenting on people! Look at this mass grave they filled with failed experiments!ā€ - A couple episodes later- ā€œWait, what?! The government/evil corporation was experimenting on people, and killing them because inter-dimensional (PLOT) is going to wipe out most of the life on Earth?! You canā€™t commit mass murder for the good of humanity!ā€ dark.
Or ā€œAre we fighting an evil organization of monster that murders people so they can rule the world?!ā€ dark?

2 Likes

@Zilla
I donā€™t really want to spoil anything, but the intention is to tie the level of darkness to your own choices. It probably wonā€™t ever get as dark as your second example, though.

3 Likes

Hey I was just wondering, could you put the date of the update along with what the update changed? It just makes it a lot easier to follow.

@Sampl15
I certainly will for major updates; I didnā€™t for this one because the only changes were the name and a few extra lines that I imagine most readers wouldnā€™t notice (plus an earlier bug fix).

Holy fucking shit, this is amazing. A Sentai CoG! I seriously loved the hell outta this. Canā€™t wait to kick more ass! Just one question: how far will customization go in terms of powers? Do you have any plans for that? My skull armor is already perfect. I wouldnā€™t go with anything else. I mean, damn! What that description made me imagine. Yes!

Edit: Oh, but as for the cliques, the costume changing with power increase and the jump kick things are definitely musts. I wanna fuckinā€™ Morph, and kill monsters with team moves. :grinning:

I was thinking, since the team only has three members, or four later if the rival/enemy Ranger joining the team clichƩ is included. Anyway, since the team is made three people, the giant robot would be made of three things, I just assume they change depending on what Totem you choose.

So the possible combinations I can think of are:

• Torso/Head piece + Arms piece + Legs piece
  • Head piece + Upper Body/Arms piece + Lower Body/Legs piece
  • Head piece + Torso piece +Arms/Legs piece

Wait you WANT me to complain about the choices you offered? OH HO HO Well just remember you asked for this

1. Why cant we choose WHAT kinda personality type that we want, i mean cmon i understand if you want to set up a backstory however i want to choose if iā€™m a bad student or a good student or somewhere in between. I mean CMON forced personality traits yuck, hell you can even make that one of the bars in the stats menu on whether or not you are on your way graduate, if balanced right it would make a good plot point to balance your studies with your heroing is that a word? Whatever. And whatever back story you choose before hand decides how much the bar is filled in the beginning

2. The way you give the PC friends powers it honestly feels kinda rushed to the point that i donā€™t really like it. I mean itā€™s not BAD fore say however it does seem to have a rushed feeling to it. I suggest trying to rethink that entire point to another way.

3. Finally i donā€™t like the lack of dialogue choices bug me, like i want to choose if my PC is sarcastic or if he is honest, or even hateful. Like this can be excused by it being early on however i would like to see personality traits develop which i feel could add to the entire dynamic.

(Deep Breath) Ok thatā€™s all of the things I thought you can add early on. Hope these ideas are helpful at all. I really like your story good jpb TTFN ta ta for now

2 Likes

@Derin_Phoenix
Well, I did literally ask for it.

1: Actually, there are multiple personalities (more or less), based around the three stats Will, Empathy, and Intellect. These three stats are set by your choices in the prologue, giving one high stat, and one low stat (at the moment, they can cancel out, but Iā€™m planning on removing this). How you do in school does explicitly depend on your Intellect stat (and, yes, you can be good, bad, or in between), and I am certainly intending to make school an important part of the story.

2: Yeah, I admit this was a bit rushed. An early version would have had only the MC powered for the first few episodes, with Sammy and Kay just being the ā€œtoken normal sidekicksā€, but I felt a team story worked best. I also didnā€™t want to have either of them present during the lab break in, so they couldnā€™t get their powers from Totem then. Iā€™ll reevaluate the scene to see if it could work better a different way.

3: Yes, again. I admit that the first episode especially is more ā€œone character makes multiple choicesā€ and less ā€œmultiple characters move through the same basic plotā€. There will be more chances to change personalities later (although Iā€™d be lying if I said Iā€™m not intimidated by the amount of writing needed).

Thanks for the honest criticism.

1 Like

Oh god, I totally forgot about the school! I really hope there are a few fight scenes there, and the possible clichƩ of a transfer student being the rival/enemy Ranger.

Now Iā€™m even more excited for this! Though if Kamen Rider Fourze has taught me anything, itā€™s that you need to start a club for your super team, and that one of the teachers, the principle, or someone on the school broad is evil.

Question for everyone: Iā€™m thinking of cutting the available colours down to Red/Gold/White. This would allow me to give each colour a more personalised look (while at the moment, Iā€™m just using a search-and-replace approach), and these three colours are the ones that say ā€œteam leaderā€ the loudest. Would this ruin the game (forever) for anyone? (Note: if enough people want, I may be persuaded to reinstate Pink/Fuchsia.)

@Zilla When you say an ā€œevilā€ teacher, do you mean ā€œjust a jerkā€, ā€œactually works for the villainsā€, or ā€œseems like just a jerk but actually works for the villainsā€?